Author Topic: Cyrus Todiwala's Lamb with Whole Spices, Chillies and Yoghurt (sim. to roganjosh  (Read 10639 times)

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Khadey Masaley Ka Gosht / Lamb with Whole Spices, Chillies and Yoghurt

This spicy lamb dish is cooked with whole garam masala, fried red chillies, onions and yoghurt. It is similar to a classic rogan josh but hotter. If you have time, marinate the lamb with the ginger / garlic paste overnight.

Serves 6

Ingredients:

4-5 onions, finely sliced
200g oil or ghee
8-10 large dried red chillies broken or snipped into pieces
2-3 green chillies, slit lengthways
2 x 3-4 cm pieces of cinnamon stick
4-6 cardamom pods
4-5 cloves
4-5 peppercorns
1-3 blades of mace
500g boned leg of lamb, cut into 2cm cubes (ask your butcher to saw the bone up and give it to you)
2 tbsp Ginger / Garlic Paste
4-5 tomatoes, chopped or 250g canned tomatoes
200 g Greek style yoghurt
1-2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
salt

To garnish:

1 large potato, boiled, cut into cubes and friend until brown
2-3 eggs, hard boiled and cut into wedges

Instructions:

Fry the onions in the oil or ghee until golden and crisp and then set to one side. Fry the red and green chillies in the same oil for 2 mins over a medium heat, until they are just getting darker, then set aside with the onions.

Reheat the oil or ghee in a large heavy based saucepan until it forms a haze, then add the whole spices. Saut? for a minute or so until they swell and change colour. Add the lamb (and bone) and turn the heat to maximum. Stir once to level out the lamb, then cook, stirring as little as possible until the lamb is well browned on all sides. (If you find the bottom of the pan is browning too rapidly, add a couple of tablespoons of water, scrape with a wooden spoon and continue cooking.

Reduce the heat to medium. Add the ginger / garlic paste and saut? for 5 to 6 minutes. Cover the pan and cook for 20 minutes stirring from time to time to prevent sticking. But don?t worry if the base of the pan is covered with a brown film. Add the tomatoes and some salt and continue cooking until the tomatoes have split.

Puree the fried onions and chillies with the yoghurt and add to the lamb. Cook uncovered for 5-10 minutes, then cover and simmer until the lamb is tender. Check the seasoning and stir in the coriander. If there is too much oil on top, skim it off and save for another lamb dish.

Remove the heat and serve garnished with the fried potato and hard-boiled eggs. Chapatis or parathas make the best accompaniment.

Enjoy

Recipe taken from http://www.cyrus-spice.com/

Executive Chef Cyrus Todiwala MBE has been awarded a Culinary Honour of Merit Award from the World Chef Society and Cafe Spice Namaste is one of few Indian restaurants to have received a coveted BIB Gourmand Award in the Michelin Guide and Cateys award
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 02:15 PM by Dominatrixxx »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
You know, there's mothing wrong with this recipe, but...

It ain't BIR, it's traditional in style, as is most of Cyrus Todiwala's stuff.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Thanks for the recipe Domi.  8)

I've moved it to the "authentic recipes" section.  I hope you don't mind!  :)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 03:30 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
No problem boss ;)

I'm such a n00b :o ;D

Offline mike travis

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Hi Dominatrixxx,  ;) I don`t wish to be a fuss pot, but 4-5 onions = how much in weight? If you say 2Ib of onions then it could 6 large ones, 9 medium or 15 small ones but it will still weigh 2lb. Sorry for nit picking luv....  ;D

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Hi Mike :P (resident nit-nurse I think I'll call you from now on lol  :D )

When I make a recipe like this, I'd use medium onions (if they're on a smaller side of medium, I'd use 5, if not, use 4). Again, it comes down to personal taste, if you like a more robust flavour, take the ingredients to the maximum, if you prefer a more subtle flavour, use the minimum.

I know it's not much of a help luvvy :P but because I don't know your taste preference I can't make that judgement :'( :-[

©2024 Curry Recipes