Author Topic: It's in the oil and technique used - I think!  (Read 13900 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: It's in the oil and technique used - I think!
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 04:29 AM »
Posted by currymonster and moved to here by CA

Looking forward to your report Mikka. It does look pretty interesting.

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 03:13 PM »
Missed this too, sorry....

I used it again so here are my final thoughts....

Definitely makes a huge difference without a doubt. I think I would change the spices a little though.

I added Paprika since the Red chillies I added numbering 8! Didn't do anything for the colour. I'd also opt for some chilli powder. I think some spices got lost in this to be honest. Perhaps too many so the undercurrent was a bit sameish.

I really think just 4 or 5 spices would do it just as CA has it but one thing of real note.

The onions cooking in the oil... The aroma was tremendous, no doubt about it, what a lovely aroma. Pity they had to be drained to be honest....

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 04:39 PM »
Has anyone had a curry lesson from a BIR that has used old / spiced / recovered oil? Every post I have read from member lessons (including my own) has only used fresh vegetable oil.

I know people have seen webcams where they might have been skimming oil for use in the base etc, but that isnt conclusive evidence. They might just as well be skimming it off to bin it when cool.

I'm pretty certain this is the wrong track and the BIR flavour can be found elsewhere. Most likely it is a result of cooking vast quantities of base rather than the relatively small amounts we do at home. I also think it is a large part to do with the big commercial burners they use for the final cook. Those lucky people with big burners at home report a much improved savoury / smokey / toffee aroma / taste.

I bet if any one of us cooked a meal in their kitchen on their scale it would taste as good as theirs.

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 09:22 PM »
Has anyone had a curry lesson from a BIR that has used old / spiced / recovered oil? Every post I have read from member lessons (including my own) has only used fresh vegetable oil.

I know people have seen webcams where they might have been skimming oil for use in the base etc, but that isnt conclusive evidence. They might just as well be skimming it off to bin it when cool.

I'm pretty certain this is the wrong track and the BIR flavour can be found elsewhere. Most likely it is a result of cooking vast quantities of base rather than the relatively small amounts we do at home. I also think it is a large part to do with the big commercial burners they use for the final cook. Those lucky people with big burners at home report a much improved savoury / smokey / toffee aroma / taste.

I bet if any one of us cooked a meal in their kitchen on their scale it would taste as good as theirs.

chriswg , I don't think ' big burners ' is the answer , when I watched my Madras made at my favourite T/A it was cooked on quite a lazy flame and no sign of flames or anything although I think the large gas rings they use puts out a fair heat without showing it. I reckon you need a good balanced base / and Curry recipe , I don't think you get the best results from mixing different base and Curry recipes .

©2024 Curry Recipes