Author Topic: "Shish Mahal" Tandoori Chicken Marinade (from Haldi)  (Read 10026 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
"Shish Mahal" Tandoori Chicken Marinade (from Haldi)
« on: July 16, 2007, 02:04 AM »
Originally posted by Haldi and moved to this section by CA

I made the tandoori chicken from the Shish Mahal Cookbook
It's a little different
You marinade the chicken in a cup of vinegar with two tablespoons of salt for an hour.
Then you drain it and leave it in this blended  yoghurt/spice mix overnight

red chilli powder 2 teaspoon
garlic 3 cloves
fresh ginger 1 teaspoon
fenugreek leaves dried 1 teaspoon
mint 1 teaspoon (I used bottled)
garam masala 2 teaspoon (I used Rajah brand)
mustard oil 1 tablespoon (despite the warnings I put it in)
cummin seeds 1/2 teaspoon
red food colouring 2 teaspoons
yoghurt 200ml

Cook on highest in oven on skewers (over a tray catching the drips)or in a tandoor

The result was excellent and the brightness of a restaurant prepared chicken.

I must admit the use of red food colouring bothers me and is mustard oil really dangerous
The flavour doesn't betray the use of mustard oil, so I'll probably use veg oil next time
As for the colour....what can I say it looks fantastic but is it safe?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 10:28 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: "Shish Mahal" Tandoori Chicken Marinade (from Haldi)
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 01:56 AM »
Quite surprised that nobody has left a comment on this post?

The presoaking of the chicken in salt and vinegar has got me intrigued.  I wonder what it adds?  Surely this mixture will start the cooking process somewhat?

I am currently working on a Tandoori/tikka marinade, triggered by conversations on earlier post's but I think I have to give this a try, if only to see what the presoaking of the chicken brings to the party.

I know that Blades tikka recipe calls for 15 mins of presoaking the chicken in lemon juice but I have to admit, I often skip that part and have never really noticed any discernible differences.

Ray :)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 08:57 AM »
Mustard Oil - Effects on health

The effects of erucic acid from edible oils on human health are controversial. However no negative health effects have ever been documented in humans.[3] A four-to-one mixture of erucic acid and oleic acid constitutes Lorenzo's oil; an experimental treatment for a rare neurobiology disorder adrenoleukodystrophy.

Mustard oil was once considered unsuitable for human consumption in the United States, Canada, and the European Union due to the high content of erucic acid. This is because of early studies in rats. Subsequent studies on rats have shown that they are less able to digest vegetable fats (whether they contain erucic acid or not) than humans and pigs.[4][5][6] Chariton et al. suggests that in rats: ?Inefficient activation of erucic acid to erucyl-CoA and a low level of activity of triglyceride lipase and enzymes of betaoxidation for erucic acid probably contribute to the accumulation and retention of cardiac lipid.?[7] Before this process was fully understood it led to the belief that erucic acid and mustard oil were both highly toxic to humans.

Epidemiological studies[citation needed] suggest that, in regions where mustard oil is still used in a traditional manner, mustard oil may afford some protection against cardiovascular diseases. In this sense "traditional" means that the oil is used fresh and vegetable fats count only as a small percentage of the total caloric intake. Whether this effect is due to the nature of erucic acid per se to make the blood platelets less sticky, or to the presence of a reasonably high percentage of α-linolenic acid, or to a combination of properties of fresh unrefined oil, is as yet uncertain. Care needs to be taken with such epidemiological studies in order to exclude the possibility of early deaths from other causes skewing the results. The fact that early asymptomatic coronary disease is readily detectable post mortem and is absent in the mustard oil cohorts tends to add weight to the hypothesis that mustard oil is protective.[8]

The use of mustard oils in traditional societies for infant massage has been identified as risking damaging skin integrity and permeability.[9]

This ex cert was taken from Wikkipidia. I think I would be more concerned about using 2 teaspoons of red food coloring than using mustard oil.

I make blades tikka all the time it's the best recipe I have found up till now and always soak the chicken in Lemon juice for at least 10 minutes. It does soften the chicken and the the chicken does become an opaque colour which indicates it has started the cooking process, just like it cooks salmon. The end results are always moist chicken pieces as long as I don't overcook it.

I'll definitely give this one a go CA and looking forward to it, but I think I will use far less food colouring, but will include the mustard oil :)

Thanks for the great post CA!! :)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 10:10 AM »
I use the TRS brand of Food colouring as it is readily available down here in the south. The main ingredient for the red colouring is Ponceau 4R and this is what Wikkipedia say's about it.

Ponceau 4R (also known as C.I. 16255 [1], Cochineal Red A[1], C.I. Acid Red 18[1], Brilliant Scarlet 3R[1], Brilliant Scarlet 4R[1], New Coccine[citation needed]) , SX purple[citation needed]) is a synthetic colourant that may be used as a food colouring. It is denoted by E Number E124[1]. Its chemical name is 1-(4-sulpho-1-napthylazo)- 2-napthol- 6,8-disulphonic acid, trisodium salt.

Ponceau 4R is a red azo dye which can be used in a variety of food products, and is usually synthesized from aromatic hydrocarbons from petroleum.

Health Effects

Because it is an azo dye, it may elicit intolerance in people allergic to salicylates (aspirin). Additionally, it is a histamine liberator, and may intensify symptoms of asthma.

Ponceau 4R is considered carcinogenic in some countries, including the USA, Norway, and Finland, and it is currently listed as a banned substance by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). [2] Since 2000, the FDA has seized Chinese-produced haw flakes (a fruit candy) on numerous occasions for containing Ponceau 4R.[1][dead link]

EFSA has decided on 2009-09-23 to lower the Acceptable Daily Intake (ADI) for Ponceau 4R from 4 mg/kg to 0.7 mg/kg bodyweight per day. The substance causes increased migration of nuclear DNA in glandular stomach, bladder (≥ 100 mg/kg) and colon tissue (≥ 10 mg/kg). Clastogenic activity was seen in in bone marrow at dosages equivalent to an intake ≥ 80 mg/kg, but no carcinogenic effects were noted. The production process may result in unsulphonated aromatic amines to be present in concentrations of up to 100 mg/kg which may be linked to cancer. Also the EFSA panel noted that the JECFA limit for lead is ≤ 2 mg/kg whereas the EC specification is ≤ 10 mg/kg. The colour additive can also increase the intake of aluminium beyond the tolerable weekly intake (TWI) of 1 mg/kg/week. Therefore the limit for aluminum may become adjusted to accommodate for this. [3]

The Deep Orange Version of this brand contains Sunset Yellow FCF E110, which doesn't look as harmful as the Red according to Wikkepdia, again see below.

Sunset Yellow FCF (also known as Orange Yellow S, FD&C Yellow 6 or C.I. 15985) is a synthetic yellow azo dye, manufactured from aromatic hydrocarbons from petroleum. When added to foods, it is denoted by E Number E110.[1] Although there are reports that it can induce an allergic reaction, this is not confirmed by scientific research.[2]

Possible Health Effects

Sunset Yellow is a sulfonated version of Sudan I, a possible carcinogen,[citation needed] which is frequently present in it as an impurity. Sunset Yellow itself may be responsible for causing an allergic reaction in people with an aspirin intolerance,[3] resulting in various symptoms including gastric upset, diarrhea, vomiting, nettle rash (urticaria) and swelling of the skin (angioedema).[4] The colouring has also been linked to hyperactivity in young children.[5]

The following additives were tested in the research:[5]

* Sunset yellow (E110) (FD&C Yellow #6) - Colouring found in squashes
    * Carmoisine (E122) - Red colouring in jellies
    * Tartrazine (E102) (FD&C Yellow #5) - Yellow colouring
    * Ponceau 4R (E124) - Red colouring
    * Sodium benzoate (E211) - Preservative
    * Quinoline yellow (E104) - Food colouring
    * Allura red AC (E129) (FD&C Red #40) - Orange/red food dye

The directions on the back of the label on both the red and deep orange jars says to add 9 grams, thats 0.317 ounces, 2 thirds of a tbs and 1 and nine tenths of a teaspoon to 1 litre of water to make a liquid based colouring. It also says, "Use Sparingly".

So my guess is, that if you want coloured food, then it may be better to go for the orange than the red. It's a toss up between Brightly coloured BIR food against possible health risks really. You're choice........ :)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 11:26 AM »
Surely this mixture will start the cooking process somewhat?

Have just read this post and that's the first thought I had, but then again I suppose other marinades will have lemon juice in it, achieving a similar result. I noticed however that there's no lemon juice or other acidic ingredients in the overnight marinade.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 11:53 AM »

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 11:54 AM »
Hi Stephen,

I would imagine that the chicken would soak up enough of that vinegar in the first hour to not need anymore in the overnight marinade.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 12:09 PM »
Hi 976,

I would imagine that the chicken would soak up enough of that vinegar in the first hour to not need anymore in the overnight marinade.

That's what I was thinking too.  I don't mind my chicken having a hint of lemon to it, not sure that I'd like a hint of vinegar though!

Hopefully, Haldi will be on soon and can describe what benefit the vinegar has to the chicken.

As for the food colouring, there's no way on earth I would add 2 tsp's of the stuff, nevermind the health implications, how red does it need to be?

As a United fan, red is always good but even I have to draw the line somewhere ;D

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 12:23 PM »
As for the food colouring, there's no way on earth I would add 2 tsp's of the stuff, nevermind the health implications, how red does it need to be?

As a United fan, red is always good but even I have to draw the line somewhere ;D

I generally find a small pinch more than makes it red enough.
However if you support the "real" Utd. (that's Dundee Utd.) then you wanna make your chicken a nice shade of tangerine.  ::)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 12:30 PM »
I thought with all these erudite citations of scientific publications on the side-effects of well-known food additives, you'd be a Hamilton Academicals man, Stephen !

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes