Author Topic: Chef's Knives  (Read 11074 times)

Offline chef1707

• Chef
    • View Profile
Chef's Knives
« on: August 20, 2007, 02:20 PM »
Hi,
I  thought I's pass this on.
If you have a TKMAX store in your area they have Zwilling J.A.Henckles knives at massive reduction...not sure if any seconds..but have Henckles funky red men.. marked down from 60/80 quid each to 16/12/9 quid..and paring knife 5.99.....I bought one to test and like a razor.went back and bought around 6 diff knives.Really delighted with them and better than the couple of Globals I have.

maybe not for u but I can definately recommend.

regards
Ian

Offline Jethro

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chef's Knives
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 10:09 PM »
I'll stick with me Globals despite thier inherent knack of trying to make my curries go instanly redder than than they should be :P...vicious buggers take no prisoners, but then they are Japanese  :-X

Offline spicymatt

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 03:57 PM »
Just bought meself some WUSTHOF Classics for full wack last w/e and now I read this ??? ??? ???

Offline RobinB

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 11:09 PM »
went in to TK Max yesterday,They had a few Wusthoffs in there for 16.99 each,which is probably about a third off RRP, you need to look hard for them though,it's a bit of a bun fight in there as usual.

Couln't really justify buying anymore knives though,just for the sake of them been cheap.

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 04:58 PM »
Theres a set Sabatiers rrp 140 for 50 quid in tkmax atm. Are they good?

Offline ast

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 05:09 PM »
Theres a set Sabatiers rrp 140 for 50 quid in tkmax atm. Are they good?

We have a few of their smaller knives.  I personally like them, and would buy a bunch more of their longer (~5" blade) utility knives to use for sharp knives at the table if I could find them.  The place where I bought the one doesn't seem to carry the particular model anymore. :(  They seem to hold an edge reasonably well, and they've normal enough handles.  Some of the more "designer" knives don't fit my hands very well, and some I wouldn't take if someone gave me--and these cost about ?100+/each!

Offline RobinB

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 01:32 AM »
be carefull with sabatiers,they franchise out the brand and make some pretty poor sets,the original lion sabatiers are really good but a bit tricky to sharpen as the blades have a high steel low carbon content.

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 10:51 PM »
Anybody use a Chroma Porsche knife type 301?

I am thinking of getting either the Japanese Cooks Knife 178mm (P2) or Santoku Fluted Bladed Knife 178mm (P21).

I'm also considering the Global G-46: 18cm Santoku Knife.

Any comments please.

Regards

SnS  ;D

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 11:55 PM »
Umm, I use this blunt knife I bought from "pound'n'bargain". It's a bit of a struggle to cut very fine, but otherwise does me OK.

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 11:59 PM »
Umm, I use this blunt knife I bought from "pound'n'bargain". It's a bit of a struggle to cut very fine, but otherwise does me OK.

Now that could be your source of bitterness SS. Smashing your way through all those onion molecules  ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes