Author Topic: Curry base and chickpeas  (Read 4054 times)

Offline The Silken Scissor

• Chef
    • View Profile
Curry base and chickpeas
« on: August 31, 2007, 02:10 AM »
I'm so excited to find this website.  I've been trying to recreate indian recipes for a very long time.  I'm actually (GASP) in the US and I see a lot about chicken recipes, but as a vegetarian I love the chickpea, lentil and other vegetable curries.  Don't know if these are as popular in the BIR's.
My question is do you know what would be the base for the veggy dishes particularly the chickpeas.  Usually called Chana Masala here.
I wasn't sure if the onion or one of the others would be better.
Thanks so much,
Sydney

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Curry base and chickpeas
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 10:13 AM »
Hi and welcome to cr0 Sydney  8)

All Curry Bases are essentially onion based Sydney; what others did you have in mind?  And any decent Curry Base will be suitable for vegetarian (as well as chicken) dishes where a Curry Base is specified to be used). 

It's highly unlikely that British Indian Restaurants (BIRs) will have a separate Curry Base for vegetable dishes.

Try one of the popular Curry Bases here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?board=2.0
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 10:26 AM by Cory Ander »

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 02:02 PM »
Thanks,  I had reviewed the base sauces and wasn't sure if the onion bases or other bases would be best.  I guess we'll just have to start experimenting.  ;D

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 02:42 PM »
Hi Sydney,

I think that either you or I (or both!) are confused  :P

All curry bases have onions as their primary ingredient (by weight).  Are you thinking of something else?  Because I can think of no exceptions to this!  Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean by "other bases"?  :P

However, some vegetarian dishes (eg dhals/lentils) do not have any curry base in them.

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 09:05 PM »
It was me whso was confused.  After just a little searching I had noticed some sauces had the tomato puree and some didn't.  So we're busy today trying darth's gravy base, but I'm still looking for some nice veggy recipes.  Is there one you can recommend?

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 08:43 AM »
Old thread I know, but I love chana masala. The only recipe I can find on here (unless I'm being (moderated) with my searching) is using carnation milk instead of curry base, and that can't be right.

Does anyone have a decent chana masala recipe please?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 11:32 AM by George »

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 11:04 AM »
"****wit" is not a term likely to find favour with our esteemed moderator George (or with many others of us, for that matter); may I politely request that you replace it with something less offensive, Sverige, so that George does not need to intervene ?  A recipe can be found here, with photograph.

** Phil.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 06:34 PM »
That worked! ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes