Author Topic: Why we cannot produce that missing taste ?  (Read 131073 times)

Offline ghanna

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Why we cannot produce that missing taste ?
« on: April 03, 2005, 12:57 PM »
Hi all
We  have been given different formulas, techniques and methods by different restaurant and takeaways  owners, chefs and staff.
But until now no one managed  to get that very nice missing taste.
This missing taste is driving me crazy, i want to duplicate  it  but i cannot, i tried every thing but without luck.
 I am not going to stop going to restaurants  if i do  know , any way all of us know how to make sandwiches and pizza but we still go out and buy them.

Some one there definitely knows,  please tell us all and save us from our misery.
Me my self i am willing to pay for it if it comes to that.
I tried for ages but i feel i am stuck there,no improvement at all,  all the time we are going back to square one.
There are 7000 restaurants and takeaways her in the U.K and all of the chefs there  produce this taste daily in their curries, cookbooks writer and others as well know. if any one reading or following what we say her ,please help.
I really feel that without help from these professional people we are not going to go any further.
Thanks
ghanna

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Why we cannot produce that missing taste ?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2005, 06:51 PM »
Everyone is in search of " that missing taste ." I think that you have to be objective about the former....tastes vary from one restaurant to another - so what does that tell you ! Perhaps the chefs are adding their own touch to the recipe . Base sauces or gravy are common to most cuisines and adjusting the former by adding spices / herbs is a given . The concept of skimming off oil is not a practice which is adhered to in most up-scale Indian restaurants ( be they traditional or BIR ) . Palates differ , so it is quite possible that the " missing taste " also differs form one individual to another .

Offline joe2

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005, 03:38 PM »
>> Palates differ , so it is quite possible that the " missing taste " also differs form one individual to another .>>
Curry Canuck
Although curry differs slightly from restaurant to restaurant, please believe me, as one of the longest serving BIR restaurant eaters about, - that TASTE is consistent the length and breadth of Britain. It is a definate taste that is unmistakable, and ive never been able to re-produce it at home, after thousands of attempts.
Aberdeen, Glasgow, Manchester, Liverpool, London, Cornwall, the Shetland Isles, Munich, Berlin - Ive curried in all of these places, and lots more - that taste is always the same to me. :)

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2005, 03:46 PM »
I wouldnt same thay "all" taste the same, for a start theres a quality difference in the 2 restaurants near me, they both have "the taste" but one is far better than the other in my opinion but other poeple I know disagree so what does that tell you, each to thier own. There is another takeaway near me and again has "the taste" but I prefer my own to theirs.  8)

Offline ghanna

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 05:42 PM »
hi,all
in  every restaurant and takeaway i have been to , i tasted that special  missing taste  that all of us are looking for .
 there is some variation  of course , the  restaurant version  is more  stronger than the takeaway, but both has the taste.
i cannot describe enough how lovely is this taste ,it is some thing out of this world .
i wonder if we ever will know how to produce it, i tried and tried for ages but i couldnot.
what are they doing to produce this beautiful taste i don't know.what are we doing wrong ,i don't know
thanks
ghanna

Offline ghanna

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 08:04 PM »
hi,all
the taste in the curry that all of us looking to produce at home,Indian chefs and staff don't like and will not eat or even put in their mouth.
a friend told me this. is this true ?
why  they do not eat the curry that they made themselves ?
i am very surprised ,does any one know the reason ?
thanks
ghanna

Offline Curry King

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2005, 08:15 PM »
Its true and i think mainly because its unhealthy and they prefer authentic curry, thats what more than one chef has told me.

Offline ghanna

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2005, 08:27 PM »
hi,curryking
   really .......   are you sure of this ?
may be because they are putting in some  stuff which is unhealthy.
i am getting mad  and very disperate to produce this taste and they don't even eat the curry.
it is very suspicious ,i think there is some thing wrong, it sounds fishy.
i will ask more people about this and try to find out why.
thank you
ghanna

Offline Curry King

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2005, 09:31 AM »
The amount of oil, ghee and salt should be enough to tell you its not the most healthy of foods. 

Offline grimmo

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2005, 10:03 AM »
On a few occasions now, I?ve spent time searching the net looking for information on restaurant curry secrets and the like. I?m pretty sure many of you have too (some more than others I?d guess... Pete?? ? ;D ) ). What bothers me more than not being able to cook the curries as I?d like, is that I can?t find the reason why I can?t on the net. It?s bizarre -? you can find the answer to just about anything on the net, but despite there being several thousand BIR?s in this country and many thousand BIR workers who will probably know, the most you will find on the net (other than on this site) is vague references to it being impossible to recreate that taste due to the quantities we cook in at home.

Not everyone who has every worked in a BIR kitchen has a vested interest to keep things secret so why is this proving so difficult for a large group of people to crack????

Time to put thinking caps on. Are there any other ways we can go about this problem? Other than asking BIR owners and chefs are then other avenues we can explore?

©2024 Curry Recipes