Author Topic: Why we cannot produce that missing taste ?  (Read 131346 times)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Why we cannot produce that missing taste ?
« Reply #140 on: April 17, 2005, 11:16 PM »
I am not meaning to sound clever and I know it isn't perfect, but, there is a search facility at the top of the page which allow us to search for any particular name or phrase within the site, I hope this helps,

Blondie - many thanks for pointing out the search facility. I must be blind as I hadn't realised it was there. This information is a great help.

Offline John

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 18, 2005, 12:33 AM »
In my local takeaway the have a pot of red sauce that looks like tandoori marinade aswell as the normal spice mixtures, they also have a large margarine/ice cream tub of pre cooked onions possibly fried in turmeric.
I don't know what the red sauce is, but i've seen them add it to most dishes, it could just be tomato and yoghurt and paprika??? ( I just dont know )

But the precooked onions may hold a key to the smell and taste that we've been searching for, in prev msg's weve talked about Tarka dhall holding the key, but if you leave out the lentils then you have a good mixture of pre cooked onions to add to your curry at the first stages. not only that but we've all noticed the smell wafting down the street hours before the takeaways/restaurants have opened...
so it seems that we could just be overlooking the obvious, since this is only the main part of the preperation they need to do before they open and it is the used in most curry's...there by you'll be getting the smell all night long........ so what do they use to prepare there onions? any ideas.

this is just what i've noticed in my fav local BIT, others around me don't taste as good, but i cannot create the taste from this one!

Offline ghanna

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 18, 2005, 07:35 AM »
Hi, John
Very  interesting point.
It is some thing in the preparation.
I wonder what is there in the red sauce.
They slightly fry the onion with some turmeric, so it will dissolve in the final curry more easily, and as well to save time while they prepare the final curry for the customer.
Thanks
ghanna

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 18, 2005, 08:04 AM »
Hi , Pete
I like your pappadom mountain.
They look? wider than the variety that i? buy from the shops
Their colour as well is a little bit browner.
Do you make them yourself.?
Do you like the plain pappadoum or the spicy variety.
I like the black pepper variety.
Thanks
ghanna
Yes I made them.
I got some advice from this site, to cook them flatter.
I do the plain ones mainly.
Everyone seems to like them here
They aren't that big, about 8 inches (20cm) after cooking
Quote from: ghanna link=topic=200.msg1727#msg1727
[quote
I wonder what is there in the red sauce.

I was told tandoori masala, kashmri masala and yoghurt

Offline ghanna

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 18, 2005, 08:10 AM »
Hi ,Pete
Could you please tell me which advice you followed.?
I want to copy it , because they look flat.
Do you mean they mix all three together and use.?
Thanks
ghanna

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 18, 2005, 09:32 AM »
In my local takeaway they have a pot of red sauce that looks like tandoori marinade...precooked onions may hold a key to the smell and taste that we've been searching for...it seems that we could just be overlooking the obvious, since this is only the main part of the preperation they need to do before they open and it is the used in most curry's...there by you'll be getting the smell all night long

John

I feel observations like yours are invaluable in building up a picture of how the kitchens really work. Do they have a large pot of trhe infamous yellow-ish curry base sauce at your take-away, as well? And is a dollop of that used in nearly all curries, too? How much 'red sauce' is used in each dish, roughly, would you say?

Regards
George
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 10:47 AM by George »

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 18, 2005, 10:27 AM »
Curry King - I fear this forum is starting to become too successful for its own good! Locating past nuggets of information is inevetably becoming quite a task. The korma recipe is somewhere in a posting earlier this month. I don't know what the answer is to forum management. The main headings are clear and logical but we often drift a bit off-topic in our enthusiasm for individual topics of conversation.

What I have been doing is to continue the thread but if posting a recipe post it in the restaurant recipes group and then link to it rather than post it in here. 

Ive tried the search but no luck?

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 18, 2005, 10:53 AM »
Ive tried the search but no luck?

Curry King - I referred to Ghanna's generous posting of a potentially great looking Korma recipe. It's on a thread started by you! Curry chat > lets talk curry > whos happy with what they can reproduce
Reply #7 on: April 01, 2005, 09:01:39 PM

Regards
George

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 18, 2005, 10:59 AM »
Cheers,

Thats why its so hard to find in the search, searching for korma brings up loads of hits but none of which are in the resturant recipe group.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 18, 2005, 12:15 PM »
A suggestion for admin that would apply to many forums but rather you than me to carry out the work:

Edit the whole forum to put everything in the best pigeon hole, in some sort of archive for postings to date, eliminate topical waffle, etc. - a potentially huge job.

Then update that archive from time to time.

e.g. a posting that spanned basic sauce and suggestions for ingredients for CTM would be split up.
My posting of earlier today would be eliminated because it's not useful in the long term - just to help someone find a recipe today.

©2024 Curry Recipes