Author Topic: Why we cannot produce that missing taste ?  (Read 131092 times)

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Why we cannot produce that missing taste ?
« Reply #210 on: July 07, 2007, 08:12 PM »
If you made the base today you may find it improves after sitting over night and a reheat.

Offline Swampy61

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 09, 2007, 09:02 AM »
Lorrydoo,

I made the new base sauce this weekend and used it to make a chicken curry (my own recipe).
The base sauce wasn't far removed from what I've been doing previously and pretty easy to follow.

Really pleased with the taste, as close as anything I've done before.

Swampy

Offline Richard W. Rinn

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 09, 2007, 03:30 PM »
Sorry to hear it Greg. I've had more problems with cooking rice (by absorption) than I have with curry, but even that generally turns out pretty good now just through cooking the same size portion the same way enough times to have developed a method that works. Where there's a will, there's a way!

R.

Offline lorrydoo

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 09, 2007, 05:51 PM »
Well done Swampy, I agree this is a brilliant base and if it wasn't, I know you would say so.  Ive had various people taste the bhuna I made using the base (mostly BIR fans) and they all agree this is very much like an origional BIR curry.  Im chuffed to bits with it.

Greg, I think we all have disasters as we go along but if I were you I would give this new base a try, following it to the letter and you should be ok.  I made some minor adjustments by leaving out the finely chopped on the work surface for a good 2 hours.  This helps to develop the natural sugars in the onions and takes the edge off them after they have just been chopped. I also added chicken stock (not stock cube) and let it simmer for 2 hours with out the lid on and kept the right viscosity by occasionally adding hot water (you could use chicken stock here)and stiring. 

You could also add some roes water which adds a realy exotic element to it.

Hope this helps,

Lorrydoo.

Offline ninjamagic

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 20, 2007, 10:36 PM »
I am of West-Indian/Indian descent - and therefore from family and friends I have been eating home-made Curry my whole life (I am 29)

I've been cooking curry in one way shape or form for 13 years or so. And only recently am I beginning to veer off into trying to crack the restaurant style curry.

I must say, that I refer to these tastes as the 'missing palette' like a pie chart, my home made curry only ever has 50% or so of the taste palette. It's a good curry, and it has many fans... but there is something missing.

I *think* I found part of the answer when I was drinking some home-made clear vegetable soup, which after 3 days was getting a bit mushy.

(solid Sweet Potato, Leek, Celery, Carrot) were the main incredients.

Because it has mushed down a little and been overcooked, I noticed a VERY aromatic taste and I realised that *this* was at least 15% of the missing palette for my curry. I scoured the internet and I found this site and I have read with interest the various curry base sauces.

ANDY2295 posted a base curry sauce, that includes those FOUR ingredients, prepared exactly like a soup ( and then pureed) -- so I have copied his recipe and the base sauce is on the cooker downstairs cooling off.

Tomorrow, I will use as the base sauce for three dishes I am preparing and I will let you know what my results are.

It's wonderful to see a website where so much love and attention is put into the pursuit of culinary delights.

I was teaching a girl to cook the other day and I said to her:

"Learning to cook is a commitment to continued excellence, if it doesn't come out right, taste it, figure out what went wrong and don't make that mistake next time"

Peace and Love

Matti

xoxoxo

ps.

if anybody is interested in me posting my own recipes, then please let me know. They're not quite BIR class. But still, it's decent home-cooked food.

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 21, 2007, 09:53 AM »
Welcom to the forum ninjamagic, please feel free to post any recipes you have  ;)

Let us know how you get on with that base sauce.

Offline ninjamagic

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 22, 2007, 01:47 PM »
The BASE SAUCE came out extraordinarily well... I forgot three things:

The Radish, the Cardimon, and bay leaves.

But, all in all it tasted very nice. Most certainly it was part of that 'missing palette'

The unfortunate part was that I couldn't quite make sense of what to do AFTER.

There are a few 'madras' recipes' but even these contain 'spice mix' and 'madras paste' that I couldn't figure out. So I ended up cooking a hybrid of my own technique, which came out nice - but it didn't go the whole way.

Using ANDY2295's base sauce - can anybody tell me easiest way to then make a DECENT tasting MADRAS.

AND - How should I pre-cook the chicken?

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 22, 2007, 02:04 PM »
Hi NM,

"Spice Mix" in "Supplementary Recipes" section here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?board=28.0 (Bruce Edwards is the usual spice mix, here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1546.0)

Madras recipes are in the "BIR Restaurant - Main Dish" Recipes here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?board=3.0 (take your pick, they are all much of a muchness)

Pre-cooked chicken in "Hints and Tips - Cooking Methods" section here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?board=23.0 (MarkJ's seems quite good; CPs seems a bit over the top regarding spices)

Overall, I suggest you look at the "Where do I Start" thread here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1848.0 (it will hopefully help you navigate the site)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 02:12 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline ninjamagic

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 25, 2007, 12:22 AM »
thanks dude. I'm gonna have to study those and come up with something nice.

thanks

xoxoxox

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 31, 2008, 06:03 PM »
Until now no one managed  to get that very nice missing taste.
This missing taste is driving me crazy, i want to duplicate  it  but i cannot, i tried every thing but without luck.

Some one out there definitely knows,  please tell us all and save us from our misery.
Me my self i am willing to pay for it if it comes to that.
I tried for ages but i feel i am stuck there,no improvement at all,  all the time we are going back to square one.
There are 7000 restaurants and takeaways her in the U.K and all of the chefs there  produce this taste daily in their curries, cookbooks writer and others as well know. if any one reading or following what we say her ,please help.
I really feel that without help from these professional people we are not going to go any further.
Thanks
ghanna

This thread was started in 2005
I think I'm getting to the stage that Ghanna got to.
I've just spent the afternoon trying to match a bought curry base sample
I can't do it
The best flavour simply isn't there
The same ingredients come up for the base each time
Onion,pepper,carrot,garlic/ginger,water,oil,tomato,spice mix,salt,coriander
Does anyone feel that they can do an exact match?

To add to my frustration I made a curry, using a bought restaurants curry gravy.
You know what?
It was 100% perfect
If I could make the gravy then I could make the curry

©2024 Curry Recipes