Author Topic: Why we cannot produce that missing taste ?  (Read 130939 times)

Offline TGReaper

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Why we cannot produce that missing taste ?
« Reply #250 on: September 03, 2008, 08:28 PM »
Derek keep up the good work.
If all else fails mabee we can bribe someone lol.
.......mmmmmmm or kidnap lololol

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 03, 2008, 11:22 PM »
they put a chefs spoon of white powder on top

No way if its a chef spoon its asafoetida. Way too strong.

Probably chat masala. This is a common sprinkling on most hot curries at the place I frequent.

Even still, a chef's spoon is a lot...

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 04, 2008, 08:10 AM »
Derek,

real good stuff. DD you've joined my list of hero's - fancy the safron getting the thumbs up. will be very interesting to hear what tweaks your man thinks. impressive stuff.

on the heat i may have to get that bigger jet for my stove - i just don't see how it will work any better though - may have to try it just to put it out of my mind. i still think my difference is down to base or circumstance.

the proper pan is a must (SnS provided a link to a v.good spot ~ around 25 quid). the wok hey is now building since i switch to the gas stove.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 06:01 PM by JerryM »

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 04, 2008, 03:36 PM »
I believe asafoetida is used as a substitute for onion and garlic (some in India cannot eat these due to their religion). It is supposed to be fried quickly in oil and is only used in very small quantities. Also helps reduce flatulence.

SnS  ;D

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 04, 2008, 06:08 PM »
Haldi eludes the curry men just bung ingredients in and leave it fiercely bubbling away now how many can honestly say they do?  I bet most chefs cant resist stirring and generally interfering in the cooking process...I am guilty

i'm guilty too - i'd missed this point

please can anyone point me to the relevant posts or describe/confirm that once the base is in the stirring should be left to a minimum. Should the pan continue to be shaken for instance?

i must admit my TA does pretty much this and i'd not really thought much into it other than the need for a lot of evaporation.

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: September 04, 2008, 06:41 PM »
Josh, what is chat masalla? sounds yummy  :)

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 04, 2008, 07:43 PM »
Its a spice mix used in small amounts, similar to the way garam masala is used.

Here's a link to a recipe (don't know if its any good), but the key ingredient is the black salt.

http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/3925/recipe_spice_10.html

Its used in the popular chicken chat, as well as a sprinkler for curries.

-- Josh

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 04, 2008, 11:27 PM »
I've been back to my local quality old school BIR tonight and guess what? I'm depressed again. The rice is miles better than mine (all I can notice in it is fennel seed) and the Madras is incredible, and looks nothing like what I make. It's much lighter in colour, mildly but perfectly spiced and very hot. It's beautiful - much better than any curry I have made.

Back to square one every time I go. The only things I know they use for the curry or base are onions, oil and a pinkish restaurant masala. That's all I can see through the door, other than loads of staff and bad food hygiene. The curry is so good though!!! I'm miles away from this quality and not getting any nearer.

It just has flavours in it that I don't have. There are things in this curry that aren't in mine. The sauce is lighter than my madras sauce. I notice a faint smell of tinned tomatoes in the sauce. Then there is this other flavour that reminds me of Baxter's French Onion soup from a can. There is also a sweaty flavour that seems to be on a similar pitch to cumin but I don't know what it is.

Anyone would rate this far higher than any of my curries. Crap! ???

I don't really think we're that close to quality old school BIR atall, and although I said I thought I really liked B.E's latest base, it's miles off this kind of old school no messing old fashioned BIR - along with any bases or curries I've ever made.

I would pay a good few hundred to be able to replicate this.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 11:45 PM by Bobby Bhuna »

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 05, 2008, 08:35 AM »
I know how you feel Booby...round and round we go again.
I am sure there are plenty of people/websites who will take your money so be careful out there....

We've been down this road but perhaps we all throw in ?100 each and find a Takeaway that is willing to open its doors and be filmed.

Stew

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 05, 2008, 08:46 AM »
I know how you feel Booby...round and round we go again.

I think the major missing taste I'm looking for could be some sort of catering style vegetable builion. I'm going to look into this in the cash and carry.

©2024 Curry Recipes