Author Topic: Why we cannot produce that missing taste ?  (Read 130301 times)

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Why we cannot produce that missing taste ?
« Reply #150 on: April 18, 2005, 12:35 PM »
What a headache  :-\

Offline ghanna

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 18, 2005, 03:39 PM »
Dear George
Thank you very much for your kind words about the korma.
I am not that good, all the recipes that i post in this site are from very good top Indian chefs.
I do not want to take the credit for some thing which is not mine,
I always take their permission before i post any recipe.
A lot f people are watching and reading? every thing in this site , they like it as well .
You are welcome any time , any recipe you want i will post .
Please see the recipe for chicken tikka in  ( i spoke to my resturant owner ) thread, it is very nice
There are other recipes as well around and they are very easy to find ,please have a look.
George you are a great person,you always encourage other people.You never make jokes or insult other people, I respect you for what you are.
I read every thing you write and i enjoy it as well
Thanks
ghanna
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 03:42 PM by ghanna »

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 18, 2005, 03:57 PM »
In my local takeaway the have a pot of red sauce that looks like tandoori

I don't know what the red sauce is, but i've seen them add it to most dishes, it could just be tomato and yoghurt and paprika??? ( I just dont know )

I asked this question a while ago on this forum as I had heard second hand, many years ago, that this was done in some restaurants. It sounds a bit like the tarka described in Bruce Edwards curry house book, which is added to the basic onion sauce at a later time. Kris dhillon's method also does this. Perhaps there's some benefit from doing it this way?

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 18, 2005, 04:00 PM »
Could it be patak tandoori paste and yogurt(50\50) which ive heard goes in some currys? 

Offline ghanna

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 18, 2005, 04:01 PM »
Hi, Yellowfingers
This is very interesting .
Do you mean that they add tarka ?to every kind of curry.
Thanks
ghanna

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 18, 2005, 04:08 PM »
Do you mean that they add tarka ?to every kind of curry.

Unfortunately I don't know the answer to that. But I suspect that it would only be added to the richer tomatoey curries like rogan josh for instance. It would be used where recipes would normally use tomato paste? or puree.

Offline John

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 18, 2005, 05:09 PM »
Do they have a large pot of trhe infamous yellow-ish curry base sauce at your take-away, as well? And is a dollop of that used in nearly all curries, too? How much 'red sauce' is used in each dish, roughly, would you say?

Yes they have the large pot of the yellow-ish curry base at the back of there cooker.
Heres just a breif example of a madras: Heat dry pan on high heat for 30sec then add oil and spices and pre-cooked onions and stir for 30sec, then goes in the chicken and it's all tossed together and stirred then the gravy goes in and about half tbsp of Red sauce and some ground almonds and lemon juice from a bottle, then this will simmer for few minutes and a sprinkle of menthi is stirred in. when it's taken from heat it's poored into a tray and sprinkled with fresh coriander and lid is put on.

Offline merrybaker

• Head Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 18, 2005, 06:32 PM »
I don't know what the red sauce is, but i've seen them add it to most dishes, it could just be tomato and yoghurt and paprika???
On another forum, someone used canned tomato soup and sour cream in an emergency when making a curry, and said it turned out like his favorite restaurant's CTM .? (I laughed because the absolute worst curry I ever had was at a BIR that, I swear, used tomato soup and not much else.)? But then someone from Bombay Curry Company and the Delhi Club, two restaurants in Virginia, responded:? ?Perhaps canned tomato soup and sour cream is exactly what your fav restaurant is using.? jokes aside, a lot of Indian restaurants do use sour cream as it is cheaper than heavy cream and also adds extra bulk and sourness ( which the tomatoes may sometimes be lacking) and what exactly is tomato soup, cooked and pureed tomatoes! where the origional seasoning is so subtle that it easily gets masked by the ginger garlic and all those spices you will use for butter chicken.?

-Mary
« Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 12:15 AM by merrybaker »

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 18, 2005, 06:33 PM »
Do they have a large pot of trhe infamous yellow-ish curry base sauce at your take-away, as well? And is a dollop of that used in nearly all curries, too? How much 'red sauce' is used in each dish, roughly, would you say?

Yes they have the large pot of the yellow-ish curry base at the back of there cooker.
Heres just a breif example of a madras: Heat dry pan on high heat for 30sec then add oil and spices and pre-cooked onions and stir for 30sec, then goes in the chicken and it's all tossed together and stirred then the gravy goes in and about half tbsp of Red sauce and some ground almonds and lemon juice from a bottle, then this will simmer for few minutes and a sprinkle of menthi is stirred in. when it's taken from heat it's poored into a tray and sprinkled with fresh coriander and lid is put on.

That description was so good, you made me feel quite hungry!!

Offline ghanna

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 18, 2005, 09:30 PM »
Hi ,All
Pete  posted a curry gravy that uses canned tomato soup before .
He said it was published in one of the magazines.
For a chicken tikka masala or korma or pasanda or dhansak  it is more than fine .
But not for vindaloo,madras,phall,...........etc.
This is my experience after trying it.
Thanks
ghanna

©2024 Curry Recipes