Author Topic: Canola Oil  (Read 3754 times)

Offline spicymatt

• Chef
    • View Profile
Canola Oil
« on: September 15, 2007, 11:40 AM »
Ever wondered what this stuff was?

http://100777.com/node/1158

:o :o :o
Matt

Offline Jethro

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Canola Oil
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 10:39 PM »
Interesting!! :-\

Offline brum_57

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 08:41 PM »
yep better known in the UK as rapeseed oil - I wouldn't read too much into that document, Ive been using it for years and I'm still here :) its a first class oil which is well suited for curry cookery and its cheep :) also contrary to what ive read elsewhere on this site - not all vegetable oil is rapeseed oil - only if it says 100% rapeseed on the label so beware of imitations. My local Lidl's now sells veggy oil marked as 100% rape at a very nice price :)

I'm sure if it was as lethal as the document suggests then the good old EU would have done something by now.

Kev.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 08:52 PM by brum_57 »

Offline brum_57

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 09:01 PM »
yep better known in the UK as rapeseed oil - I wouldn't read too much into that document it's not an official document just someones opinion, Ive been using rape oil for years and I'm still here :) its a first class oil which is well suited for curry cookery and its cheep :) also contrary to what ive read elsewhere on this site - not all vegetable oil is rapeseed oil - only if it says 100% rapeseed on the label so beware of imitations. My local Lidl's now sells veggy oil marked as 100% rape at a very nice price :)

I'm sure if it was as lethal as the document suggests then the good old EU would have done something by now.

Kev. - who will still be using rape oil in his rubies :P

sorry for the duplicate post :(

Offline spicymatt

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 11:51 AM »
Hi Kev
I used canola for a number of years too until I became aware of a few possible problems with it, in particular regarding the origin of the product. Unless the stuff you buy is  the product of a specific country then it is very likely sourced from several different countries and therefore cannot be certified as GM free, the same applies to any soya based product, the US and Canadian governments in collusion with the multinational agrochemical companies have made sure of that.
Of course the article was exaggerating (I hope) and GM is entirely a matter of personal choice but all too often big business and big brother collude to obscure the issue and deny the consumer the real information required to make a properly informed choice.
Regards
Matt

Offline brum_57

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 11:36 PM »
hi matt, for a more balanced view try here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapeseed some good offsite links also

Kev.

©2024 Curry Recipes