Author Topic: 4 base sauces tested  (Read 11017 times)

chipfryer

4 base sauces tested
« on: October 04, 2007, 06:28 PM »
4 base sauces tested

I've been busy this week since finding this forum and have tested 4 base sauces. Here's what I think from all that I've tried. This has been a lot of work and I've really only chosen easier recipes so I can get a handle on this new boiling process. Anyway I hope you get something from this? I did when cooking all of them.

Best wishes.

===================================

CURRY KING 9 - 10
Boiling method: This by far was the most simple and was the one I adapted for my own base sauce. This had a good aroma and was reasonably quick to prepare at home. This was the first one I tried and was fortunate enough to have some Fresh fenugreek which I added. The whole effect was wonderful and fully adaptable.
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,179.0.html

WOODPECKER21 8 - 10
Boiling method: Just like Curry King this offered a lot of scope and was again a good base. I liked the extra carrot which gave some body and sweetness to it. Good measurement guide too which makes it a lot easier to replicate.
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,278.0.html

DARTH 7 - 10
Boiling method: This huge one from Darth was pretty indistinct but it has so many uses owing to that quality. For however it had no depth of range which meant to me at least that more prep work on the other live end is needed. Very good however, just a lot of work for the home cook. Only gave this a 6 because of the sheer quantity of work.
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,674.html

CHIPPY'S BASE SAUCE 6 - 10 (based on Stews Sauce)
Boiling method: No matter how folks might think on this I actually liked what I cooked and that does not happen that often. Its no way near perfect but I am sure with a bit of work and perhaps the deletion of the parsnip though very tasty and adding some FRESH Fenugreek I'll have something that I actually like to eat at last.
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2032.0

NEW BASE SAUCE: 5 - 10
Frying method: My this is bitter. Raw garlic doesn't appeal to me at all and that's all it smells of. Definitely needs roasted Garlic and some herbs to lighten it but the texture is in fact one of the best and it actually tastes very nice indeed.
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1894.0

ADMIN OR STEWS?
I'll be trying admins (Stew's Curry base next week) This looks way more authentic since cinnamon and Cardamoms are used. Sounds yummy frankly.
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1488.0.html

chipfryer

Re: 4 base sauces tested
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 07:05 PM »
I only had one week  ;)
I didn't go by favorites. Lemmings always get lead on so to speak. I took what I thought I could handle and boy Darths was something to handle.

There will be other weeks. If anyone is interested however? I don't see too many other posts such as mine which is a pity really.

Best.

From my earlier post.
I've really only chosen easier recipes so I can get a handle on this new boiling process. Anyway I hope you get something from this? I did when cooking all of them.

Hi
Interesting study
I'm slightly confused with your choice of bases you seem to have ommitted the 3 bases that have been viewed a total of 16,000 times and generated 300 responses.
Greg
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 07:07 PM by chipfryer »

Offline Jeera

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 08:04 PM »
Hi Chipfryer, i agree that it is nice to see a comparison of different bases especially form a single persons perspecive. I'm curious how you will find some of the other bases listed on here.

Nice post.

cheers.

chipfryer

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 08:13 PM »
Thanks Jeera.
Nice name that. Better than my potato's in oil.  >:(

I've been blessed with a darned good nose. I'll try as many as I can but of course there is the time factor.

What I would like to see and regarding Greg's post earlier is see more activity in posting comments. I never go by "Reading Views" people can read something 20,000 times and never come back and tell you what it was like  ???

Feedback will help everyone not least me.

Can you suggest something that you have tried and liked please?
Many thanks

Best.

chipfryer

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 08:48 PM »
Hi Greg.

I think your right of course. This was after all my own personal venture taken from the base sauce poll. I've cooked from scratch many times over and have had some very good eating I can tell you.

My main problem was meat - That's now solved thanks to the posts on here about precooking.

My other problem is aroma.

When I saw the list of sauces I looked through seeing those without elements that I had already tried. This I suppose is why I chose those that I did.

I again think your right. We do need some consensus and to be quite frank stop people taking what has been learned here to other places other than home if you know what I mean?

Thanks for writing back Greg.
Best wishes.

Hi
I think your study is very interesting, my point which you seemed to have missed is that given the number of comments on the other bases I suspect the majority of members have tried one of them. A study which therefore included these bases would have been a very useful exercise in terms of providing comparatives for a larger market.
Greg

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 11:06 AM »
Great post I wish I had the time to make all that in one weekend  :o

Great to see what you think of Stews base comapared to all these you have tried. 

Some pictures would really go well with this  ;)

chipfryer

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 01:53 PM »
Cream crackered after doing that lot frankly. ;D

Perhaps when I next do something like this I will although I think 'Stews' base works best for me since it is pretty simple and the results are not overpowering.

I've yet to make something with one of these bases.  ::)

Great post I wish I had the time to make all that in one weekend  :o
Great to see what you think of Stews base comapared to all these you have tried. 
Some pictures would really go well with this  ;)

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 03:00 PM »
Well done Chipfryer, You have done us all a service by actually having a go and cooking so many to compare with. There is no doubt about it the base sauce is the critical thing so the more we test and share the better. Given that most of us are really busy and probably scared to put in the time and not get it right experimentation is challenging. The fact that you have done so is to be commended. If you have photographs to post that would be just the icing on a great cake. Thanks again Panpot

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 03:36 PM »
I don't see too many other posts such as mine which is a pity really.

Nope, I think your research is unique for this forum. Well done. I also think you did the right thing in trying some of the less reviewed/used bases to give them a bit of an airing too.

Unless I've misread your posts I think you are in the US? If that's so how do you know
that you're achieving the right results for the BIR taste?   

Offline lorrydoo

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 03:38 PM »
I like how he ranked the bases.

©2024 Curry Recipes