Author Topic: rajver vindaloo sauce - new chef/ and base sauce recipe  (Read 26719 times)

Offline Richard W. Rinn

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: rajver vindaloo sauce - new chef/ and base sauce recipe
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2007, 03:11 PM »
Cheers Gary. Would you say it was on medium for the adding of the garlic and spices though, i.e. it wasn't going full burn at this stage?

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2007, 05:31 PM »
I assume the effect of that coconut milk must be pretty subtle otherwise all the curries would taste of coconut?

Offline brum_57

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2007, 06:09 PM »
first time I have heard of coconut milk used in a base sauce - wonder if the chef is from the south of India ?

Kev.

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2007, 07:07 PM »
hi richard
yes i would say it was probably on medium.
2 nights ago i set up my camping stove which i have been apprehensive about using to cook my curries so i have just looked at it in the case it comes in . more worried about the setting up ie putting the gas cylinder correctly so as not to set fire to the kitchen. but as have said wednesday night i used it and oh my god how quick and easy was it to make my best tasting curry yet and the closet tasting to Rajver my locals. i was astounded and all for the price of set meal for one at Rajver which is ?11.95. the camping stove i got from wilkinsons with 3 butane gas cylinders so ?9.99 plus 3  gas  for ?2.97 99p each. and i will now use it all the time and the controlability compared to the electric hob.
everyone go get your self one now if you don't have one or gas cooker.the energy is only 2kw 1/5 of the restaurants but worth every penny

the coconut milk does not over power the base. it just gives it a hint if you didnot know the ingredients you would not really know it was in there iukwim. will be making another vindaloo tonight Rajver style.
take care

and kind regards
gary

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2007, 07:12 PM »
I made a batch of this at the weekend and is promising so far but will post a follow up  when I have made a vindaloo with it this week sometime.

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2007, 04:02 PM »
Thanks for posting this,Parker 21
It's fantastic getting behind the scenes, isn't it?
It feels somehow magical and secret
It leaves you wishing to go back again
All the chefs I've met are really friendly people
When they have met you a few times, they don't mind telling you things

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2007, 07:09 PM »
first time I have heard of coconut milk used in a base sauce - wonder if the chef is from the south of India ?

I think I recollect that Terry specified coconut in his base sauce recipe from a BIR which he used to work at. I tried his base sauce and it was good, and you couldn't taste the coconut as such but it obviously added something.

Regards
George

Offline lagathy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2007, 02:16 AM »
havent posted for a while,but this thread caught my attention ( i cant get enough of these "behind the scenes" recipes!!)..anyway,i was curious Parker about the camping gas and how it made your best curry yet...ive always assumed that the heat theyre able to create must play a large role in the taste etc...but you said that the chef had things on medium heat,so im just curious as to why you thought the camping gas might have improved things(i/m willing to try just about bloody anything to get nearer to the taste rofl )?

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2007, 01:38 PM »
hi lagathy
when you have been cooking restaurant curries for as lom=ng as i have on an electric hob which just blasts out 1.3kw of heat intensley confined to the ring and then you get hold of a gas camping stove which only chucks out 2kw but control completely at your finger tips you too would make the best curries you have ever had. and thats not to mention the fact that i have actually been in the kitchens  of a bir on four occassions to actually witness and document what i see so the techniques i have witnessed and practiced. there is never a day goes by that i am not eating a vindaloo rice naan or defrosting some chicken to precook for that evening. dude just try the dish yourself but it will only taste like Rajvers sauce and vindaloo if you follow the recipe to the letter before you try to mix and match it with another recipe. i will try to get some more demos this week as i am on holiday and told a friend i would try to cook her a dansak ;D

that is not to say add less chill powder and you could probably get away with a madras and maybe put a lemon wedge in just before you add the chicken but removing before serving. the lemon wedge not hte chicken ;)

oh and the gas was on medium to heat the oil and garlic before adding the spices and turning up the heat to full then comes the toffee spice release then comes the sauce! added off the heat!

regards
gary

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2007, 01:40 PM »
ck did you try to make the vindaloo?

gary

©2024 Curry Recipes