Author Topic: BIR Butter Cicken  (Read 19022 times)

Offline Gazza63

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
BIR Butter Cicken
« on: October 31, 2007, 05:19 AM »
Can't find a recipe for BIR Butter Chicken, if I have missed one can someone give me the link, I did see one listed under the Authentic Recipe's, has anyone got a BIR one? 

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: BIR Butter Cicken
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 06:23 PM »
hi thaiexpat
i found this on the net not exactly what you asked for but still it serves four and is a balti,

Balti Butter Chicken

Ingredients
150 ml (1/4 pint) natural yoghurt
50g (2 oz) ground almonds
1 1/2 teaspoons chilli powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed bay leaves
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon garam masala
4 green cardamom pods
1 teaspoon ginger pulp
1 teaspoon garlic pulp
400 g (14 oz) can tomatoes
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
1 kg (2 lb chicken, skinned, boned and cubed
75 g (3 oz) butter
1 tablespoon corn oil
2 medium onions, sliced
2 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
4 tablespoons single cream
Method
Place the yoghurt, ground almonds, all the dry spices, ginger, garlic, tomatoes and salt in a mixing bowl and blend together thoroughly.
Put the chicken into a large mixing bowl and pour over the yoghurt mixture. Set aside.
Melt together the butter and oil in a medium karahi, wok or frying pan. Add the onions and fry for about 3 minutes.
Add the chicken mixture and stir-fry for about 7-10 minutes.
Stir in about half of the coriander and mix well.
Pour over the cream and stir in well. Bring to the boil. Serve garnished with the remaining chopped coriander.
Serves 4.

regards
gary

Offline bitchinsahsa

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 05:18 PM »
Hey this is a recipe I found a while ago and have to say it is foolproof and almost identical to ones I have had from the takeaway. It doesn't have nuts in it cause my boyfriend is allergic to nuts so I just found a recipe without them.  Can't remember exactly where I found this though.

Chicken Makhani #28850

Chicken Makhani is also known as "Butter Chicken." This recipe posted as a response to a recipe request - I got it online. Source:

Tandoori Chicken
To make this I use about 1 chicken breast person. You will need Pataks Tandoori paste, natural yoghurt and a lemon.
Cut the chicken into medium size chunks and put aside. 
Place 2-3 tablespoons of the tandoori paste into a bowl and add 3-4 tablespoons of yoghurt, mix well and add a squeeze of lemon juice. 

Once this is all incorporated place the chicken in this marinade, cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 20 minutes.

Once you have the sauce cooking, remove the chicken from the marinade and preferably griddle or fry the chicken until cooked.  Once cooked add the chicken to the sauce when it states in the rest of the recipe.

Makhani Sauce

1 tablespoon whole garam masala 
400g tomato puree 
2 tablespoons sugar or honey 
1 tablespoon ginger paste 
1 tablespoon garlic paste 
1 tablespoon red chili powder 
1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder 
1 cup fresh cream 
1/2 teaspoon kasoori methi 
1 teaspoon chopped green chilies 
50g butter   
salt   
4 servings Change size or US/metric   

Heat butter in a pan. Add whole garam masala. Let it crackle. Then add ginger-garlic paste and chopped green chillies. Cook for 2 minutes. Add tomato puree, red chilli powder, garam masala powder, salt and one cup of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add sugar or honey and powdered kasoori methi.
Add cooked tandoori chicken pieces.  Simmer for 5 minutes and then add fresh cream.  Serve hot with naan or parantha.       

Offline bitchinsahsa

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 11:27 AM »
Hi ThaiExpat,

Did you manage to try this recipe yet? I'm interested to know what you thought of it?

Offline RobinB

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 03:56 PM »
Sound really nice bitchinsahsa,

Just a couple of queeries, 400g of tomato puree,as in the squeezy tube puree?

Kasoori methi, i've got methi powder,and also the dried herb type methi,which one is best?

Also 1 cup of water,am I right in thinking this is about 250 ml

Many thanks,

Think I might try this tomorrow.

Offline bitchinsahsa

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 04:03 PM »
Hi Robinbrettle,

Sorry I should have amended the recipe slightly  ::) I usually use passatta instead of tomato puree.  With regards to the methi I only had the powdered form up until a couple of days ago so I am not really sure what the difference would be using the leaf form as I haven't ever used it before.  Do you know what difference the leaf form has in regards to taste?

Yup 250ml is 1 cup of water, I checked my measuring cups just to make sure  ;D

I hope you enjoy this, everyone I have made it for loves it.  I really enjoy it too and I usually don't go in for the creamy currys  :D

Offline RobinB

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 01:48 AM »
Hi thanks,

Passata sounds good,

Not too sure of the difference between the methi's, The powdered one I have which is a White/creamy colour(does that sound about right?) seems to have a more direct flavour(slightly bitter too) than the green herby one, Also seems to have a thickening property a bit like arrowroot maybe, which can be a good or a bad thing sometimes.

I put some in a Sag Aloo a while back nice flavour but it went a bit gluey,hence me buying the green stuff.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Offline simonsimon

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 01:42 PM »
FWIW, whenever I've bought kasoori/kachuri methi, it's always been dried green leaf, very strong smell. Hope that helps.

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 07:59 PM »
hi guys/gls
the yellow creamy powder is fenugreek seeds. if you smell them they have a distict aroma of curry.but methi/kasoori methi are the leaves from the same plant but have a completely different aroma. this dried herb is used in BIR cooking more so than the seeds which are used in the making of cury powder and more traditional dishes. the best methi comes from pakistan and is written quasoori methi... i think, the methi used in the recipes on this site call for methi but use sparingly unless you are making aloo methi which requires 1tbsp per dish ( you can find a recipe for this dish in the bruce edwards curryhouse cookery posting by pete in the downloads section) haven't tried it but it sounds yummy.

hope ths helps. remember newbies don't be afraid to ask qusetions as there are many peeps on this site that can help no matter how stupid you think it is as we have all been there ;)

regards
gary

Offline RobinB

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007, 03:56 PM »
Bitchinsaha's butter chicken.

Very nice indeed,Had to reduce the cream at the end,took about 7 mins really fast boiling to get it down to the right texture so i would use less in future.

I also used 1tsp chilli rather than a tablespoon,and it was still fairly hot,i liked it but many would expect butter chicken to be fairly mild.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 05:51 PM by Robinbrettle »

©2024 Curry Recipes