Author Topic: Asafoetida  (Read 2751 times)

Offline brum_57

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Asafoetida
« on: November 02, 2007, 05:21 PM »
anyone use asa in their dishes? christ doesnt it stink lol :P got some today out of curiosity more than anything - shall be testing it out tomorrow.

Kev.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Asafoetida
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 06:33 PM »
Yes I use a little bit in most curries. Try about a quarter teaspoon for your first attempt and make sure you add it to the hot oil before any fluids or it won't work its magic and you'll wonder what all the fuss was about. Which brand are you using?

Offline brum_57

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 06:43 PM »
hi santa - its the (rather expensive) Barts brand which is cut down with other indredients so i beleive? understand that the blocks of resin are better, what u think?

will try some in the hot oil at the start of tomorrows chicken vindy :P

cheers Kev.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 09:25 PM »
I reckon Bart asa is one of the best, but you're right it is expensive. Still you don't have to use too much. The resin is definitely the thing to use if you can get it, it's far more potent. I used to be able to get it when I was in London but nowhere local to me stocks it now :(

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 12:12 AM »
Hi Brum,

I use it, from time-to-time.  It's traditionally only used in vegetable and dhal dishes.

It adds a quite distinctive smell and taste to the final dish.  You really do need to use it sparingly though, in my opinion, but I've seen that some people add half a teaspoon or more.

I use just a pinch (maybe an eigth of a teaspoon) and, as Santa says, add it to the hot oil, and fry it for a few seconds, before adding the other ingredients (i.e. garlic, ginger, spices, tomato paste, curry base, etc).

It stinks of suphur compounds when it's raw ("devil's dung"...actually I quite like it!  :P) but that changes to a distinctive sweet, oniony, garlicky, smokey smell and flavour when fried.

I've been using Indian "LG" compounded powder (a cream coloured powdered mixture of asafoetida, edible gum and wheat flour) and it seems to work just fine to me.  But I haven't tried the resin (mostly because I have never seen it!)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 02:35 AM by Cory Ander »

©2024 Curry Recipes