Author Topic: Pilau Rice  (Read 7144 times)

Offline RobinB

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Pilau Rice
« on: November 05, 2007, 10:34 AM »
Hi,Heres a photo of the Pilau rice I made last night.

Offline RobinB

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Pilau Rice
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 11:08 AM »
Recipe for Pilau rice(Serves 3-4)

250g Basmati rice(I used supermarket own brand)

30g Unsalted butter

500ml Water

2 Cardamon Pods

1Tsp Fennel Seeds

2 Cloves

1/2 tsp Salt

1 Bay leaf

1/2 Star anise (optional)

Wash rice thouroughy in a bowl until water runs clear,this takes a while then leave to soak in cold water for 30 mins.

Drain rice really well and shake off as much water as you can.

Melt butter in a largeish saucepan and add salt,spices,bay for a few seconds,add rice and fry gently for a minute or two on a medium heat. Add the water and bring to the boil stirring just once.

Cover the pan with a A3 size piece of foil and place the lid on top, Turn the heat down to no2 electric or halogen,if gas use simmer,and cook undisturbed for 8 mins.

Turn off the heat and remove lid and foil, add a few drops of red/yellow/green colouring to different sides of the pan(I use the inside of a bic as a little pippette or a straw,finger over the top)

Preheat oven to 100c, once the rice has sat for 10 mins,gently transfer into a lightly oiled oven proof dish and cover well with the foil you used earlier,making a few steam holes.

Put in the oven,the longer the better gently folding every 20-30 mins and the rice grains will be lovely and separate.

Enjoy

« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 11:57 AM by Robinbrettle »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 12:04 PM »
Looks great RB...thanks for sharing your recipe!  8)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 07:55 PM »
1/2 Star anise (optional)

Robin - many thanks for the recipe. You say the star anise is optional. Do you use it?

Regards
George

Offline RobinB

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 08:40 PM »
Hi,

Yeah I used the star anise on this occasion, can be a bit overpowing if you use too much though, its really a personal taste,I've experimented with,1tsp cumin seeds,lemon zest,blade mace,onion, as long as you keep any additions fairly subtle you should be fine.

Have a play around and see what you think.

Offline pforkes

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 07:44 AM »
I now live in the USA...what is the actual temperature of 'number 2' setting?

I tried Googling, but nothing turned up...

Offline RobinB

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 03:06 PM »
Hi, Im not entirely sure of the actual temp, If its gas i'd just go for the simmer setting, otherwise for electric/halogen etc I'd go again go for the lowest setting there is, maybe a little higher, all cookers will vary a little anyway, as long as you keep the heat low you cant go far wrong.

Offline RobinB

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 02:33 PM »
I've changed this recipe slightly and I think its even better and now contains no artificial colourings! Try it you won't be dissapointed.

Recipe for Pilau rice(Serves 3-4)

250g Basmati rice(I used KTC but any decent basmati will do)

30g Unsalted butter

500ml Water

3 Cardamon Pods

1/2 tsp Salt

1 Bay leaf

2 large pieces of blade mace

1/2 tsp ground cumin.

1 tsp Garlic ginger puree

1 finely grated carrot

Wash rice thouroughy in a bowl until water runs clear,this takes a while then leave to soak in cold water for 30 mins.

Drain rice really well and shake off as much water as you can.

Melt butter in a largeish saucepan and add salt,spices,bay,Mace,Garlic/ginger paste,carrot for a few seconds,add rice and fry gently for a minute or two on a medium heat. Add the water and bring to the boil stirring just once.

*Don't worry about the carrot clagging together at this point it will separate later in the oven

Cover the pan with a A3 size piece of foil and place the lid on top, Turn the heat down to no2 electric or halogen,if gas use simmer,and cook undisturbed for 8 mins.

Turn off the heat and remove lid and foil, add let sit for about 5 mins.

Preheat oven to 60-70c ,gently transfer into a lightly oiled oven proof dish and cover well with the foil you used earlier,making a few steam holes.

Put in the oven,the longer the better gently(I go for 1hr in total) folding every 20-30 mins and the rice grains will be lovely and separate, at some point remove the mace,shred really fine and fold back into the rice.

As it dries gently in the oven,the result will be a fantastic BIR flavoured rice with a lovely colour from the carrot/cumin and flavour from the Shredded mace.

Enjoy

Offline paulandtoni

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 11:39 AM »
I'm going to use this recipie tonight along with Cory Anders Naan and Tikka recipies. This site is awesome.

©2024 Curry Recipes