Author Topic: make a tandoori oven, yes or no?  (Read 2179 times)

Offline chilli head

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
make a tandoori oven, yes or no?
« on: November 10, 2007, 10:00 AM »
Is it possible to make a tandoori oven? :-\
my idea is to buy a clay pot or just the clay then make a tandoori oven as part of a large BBQ outside.
Q1,can you buy just the pot,
Q2,can you buy the clay to mold your own pot.
Q3,have you or anyone on the site made one and how good Do's it work.
 thanks Andy :)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: make a tandoori oven, yes or no?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 01:47 PM »
Hi CH,

I reckon the following:

• Yes!  It is possible to make your own tandoor (many people have done it and there are links on this site)
  • Yes!  You can just buy a pot!  A terracotta pot will do (despite people maintaining that its a "special clay from India") and you can buy them at low cost (plain and unglazed is cheapest and best I think).  You may have to wrap it in fire proof tape to maintain its integrity (i.e. to hold it together if/when it cracks!)
  • I wouldn't bother with buying the clay!  Unless you live with Demi Moore of course!  :P ("Ghost anyone?  Yes please!)
  • There are many links on the web....just search for "build your own tandoor"

If you do it, please let us know how you get on!  I'm determined to build one myself, one day, too!  And Haldi has one I know and George has been thinking about building one for some time now! ;)

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 02:22 PM »
hi chilli
heston blumenthal used a drum bbq built up some bricks around the middle of his bbq put the charcoals on the outside allowed to heat and that reached the same temperatures as the tandoori oven he had seen in india it was about 380degrees C it took about 6 minutes to cook the chicken charred as if from a real tandoor and still moist on the inside.

it was on the series "In search of perfection".on bbc2 2 weeks ago
you maybe able to view it on the web or maybe a link on this site somewhere

regards
gary

Offline chilli head

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 07:47 PM »
Thanks i will have a go.just thought of something i think might work i went to a refractors which make the backs for open fire's etc,if you buy 2 you can but them back to back at a cost of ?45 the 2.dont know if the backs powder or if they could be toxic dont think they would and i no the heat wouldnt be a problem.Its another idia to try.
Looks like doing some building soon ;D
           andy

©2024 Curry Recipes