Author Topic: Do You Agreeeeee !!!  (Read 8896 times)

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Do You Agreeeeee !!!
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2005, 12:16 PM »
It was just my opinion on a phall thats all, maybe its time for another poll   ;)

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2005, 12:44 PM »
Give in to the darkside & your journey to "the taste" will be complete.
Thats what so good about this forum, these different opinions are what make it grow & become the success it is now, huraah for those differences !!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
And a big thankyou to all of the members that are active "It`s nice to know i`m not alone in my quest"!  :P :P

Offline merrybaker

• Head Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2005, 04:19 PM »
you could be the proud owner of the worlds first pair of exploding trousers !!
This is a serious question on a delicate subject.? I know that a person's mouth builds up a tolerance to the heat from chillis.? Does that happen to one's, shall we say, eliminatory system?

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2005, 09:31 PM »
My experience is it does build up but not to quite the same level!  :-*

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2005, 10:33 PM »
Put it this way i eat 4/5 hot curries a week & there is no difference of the end result when i don't eat curries in a particular  week , so yes you do build up a tolerance,
  & "No more ring of fire"!

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2005, 09:22 AM »
DARTHPHALL,

Do you think there is a difference between the heat of Chilli Powder and proper chilli's in a curry?  I can take almost any amount of curry powder but the old green chilli's in a Jalfrezi for example hurt like hell if you eat one.....

Anyone else agree!

8)

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2005, 10:42 AM »
Are you using extra hot Chilli powder ? Put 6 tablespoons in a Curry & it will be hot enough.
 Alternatively touch Chilli powder on the tip of your tongue, then try it with a chilli (don't do it with a Scotch Bonnet ,you`ll regret it !!)
 Also i`ve noticed the cooking process takes away the heat . I have tried putting 6 tablespoon in at the end, & end up with more heat but can taste powdery if put in too late, but this is also true with the spices we use. Put a teaspoon of Garam Masala at the end of cooking to give flavour.
 Chilli's give a more instant heat while powder is gradual & has a warmer taste.As you see its difficult to describe as we all taste &  perceive in a different way.Hope this helps a little.

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2005, 10:53 AM »
I would have thought 6 tablespoons of any powder in a curry will make it taste powdery!!

I use Natco extra hot chili powder and find that any more than 5 or 6 heaped tsp's in a single curry and it taste's like muck.? As for chili's I find that fresh chili's give you the gradual heat that builds up as your eating and chili powder is instant, but as you say everyone perceives it differently.  I don't really like eating the fresh chili's whole though as in a Jalfrezi and if im using them prefer to chop them up fine and fry them at the begining with the garlic and ginger.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2005, 10:56 AM by Curry King »

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2005, 10:58 AM »
I use trs spices & seem to get away with using 6 tablespoons without powdery taste, but i agree C King , if you don't get the right amount of spices ingredients then the chillie powder takes over & its like eating a "DUST VINDALLOO" ! :(

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2005, 12:58 PM »
Use fresh chillies in the beginning stages of making a curry and use as little chilli powder as possible.  Too much chilli powder tends to mask the flavour of a dish.  Use more chillies and the heat is absolutely wonderful - trust me!

©2024 Curry Recipes