Author Topic: Restaurant Style Khalia  (Read 14931 times)

Offline merrybaker

• Head Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Restaurant Style Khalia
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2005, 11:48 PM »
I made this last night, and when it was cooked I tasted it and didn?t like it.? Too sweet!?

So I cleaned up the kitchen and walked around the block to get the smell of curry out of my head.? When I came back and tasted the curry again, it was lovely.? The lemon and sugar had melded with the whole, and it didn?t seem sweet at all.? I like the fennel in it, too. This is a curry that could keep its identity if served with another one that?s full of cumin.

Details:? I cooked it in spicy oil spooned from the top of previous curries.? Deciding that was a bad idea, I added a lot of plain oil to dilute the flavor.? Then the onion-ginger-garlic got away from me and became quite (!!!) brown.? I used Pete?s 600ml-oil curry sauce.? Part fresh jalapeno and part dried chilli powder.?

I just tried it again (refrigerator-cold and on a spoon).? It?s even better.

Thanks, Curry King.? It's a keeper.

-Mary?

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2005, 10:09 AM »
Nice  :)

I don't like my currys to sweet either, mine didnt come out to sweet but then I used a different gravy so it may have been that.  I think sometimes a curry can go quite sweet naturaly so doesn't need that much sugar adding to it, maybe depending how long the base was cooked for.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 07:09 AM »

Just a thought....... the spice mixture is very very similar to "panch pharon"

CK,

couple of questions please. is the recipe still the same (have u changed it)

have u tried it with panch puran.

is it essential to roast the spices ie can u just grind them as u would a mix powder.

i ask as the ingredients are pretty std except for the spice mix which for me makes it quite different and unusual.

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 12:08 PM »
This looks like an interesting dish. Can you confirm the amount of fenugreek seeds please CK? I would probably guess half a teaspoon.

The fact that is has no cumin is interesting too - I hope to make this soon.

Offline chinois

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2009, 12:22 PM »
Hmm, this does sound tasty! I agree it sounds bengali with the choice of spices and the sweet and sour elements. I think this has got to be tried, sounds like my kind of curry!

When googling i could only find recipes with fish. Are you sure your friend had it with meat?

©2024 Curry Recipes