Author Topic: Robs Classic Base Sauce  (Read 2138 times)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Robs Classic Base Sauce
« on: November 27, 2007, 06:40 PM »
This is my base sauce, which is a varyation/combination of those from several curry books and other sauce recipes I have found on the interent.
I have chosen to include my fresh Garram Masala spice blend in the recipe because I feel that this is fundamental to recipe. However, if you have your own spice blend, please feel free to use that.

Vegetable based ingredients:
4 medium sized onions, peeled and roughly chopped
2 medium sized tomatoes finely chopped (if you chop too coarsely the skins become a problem since they refuse to blend later)
Vegetable oil (I use quite a lot :o)
35 grams fresh peeled and rougly chopped Garlic (or the paste from the jar)
35 grams fresh peeled and roughly chopped Ginger (or the paste from the jar)
2 fresh chillis, chopped

Whole Spices:
Corriander seed
Cumin seed
Cloves
Cinemon Sticks
Nutmeg
Mustard Seed
Black Cardomom
Green Cardomom
Bay leave

Other Herbs / Spices:
Turmeric
Paprika
Tandoori Masala
Ground Cumin
Ground Fenugreek

To start, cover the bottom of your curry pan with around 3-5mm vegetable oil (the more the better but the unhealthier). Bring this to a reasonable heat (I use number 3 of 6) and add the chopped onions, followed by the chopped ginger and the chopped garlic. It is important that the pan is not too hot so as to brown the onions otherwise they become bitter rather than sweet.

Now add 1tsb paprika and 1 tsp turmeric and stir. Bring the temperature down and place the lid on your pan stirring occassionally and taking care not to let any of the ingredients brown or stick. Cook until the onions are translucent (this will take around 20 - 30 minutes).

Meanwhile we can prepare the spice mix. Put simply I make a Garram Masala, which you could buy in a bottle or pack. However, I have found that if you have access to the whole spices mentioned above and a coffee or spice grinder, the result is superior. If you do not have access to these, or simply want to save time and money it is perfectly reasonable to use the pre ground variety but try to ensure that it is fresh. From my own personal experience, don't buy the Bart brand. When I need some pre ground Garram Masala I read the ingredients on the back of the package, looking for them to be similar to my recipe.

So, into the grider go the following whole spices:

1 tsp Corriander seed
1 tsp Cumin seed
around 5 Cloves
around 1 inch of Cinemon Stick
1/4 small nutmeg
1 pinch Mustard Seed
4 large Black Cardomom
6 Green Cardomom
2 Bay Leaves

Grind this until the grinder stop making the little clicky sounds of seeds hitting the blade/edges and put the mix in a sealed container. It should be a fine powder. If not, grind grind and grind some more. For ultimate freshness try to use within a few weeks to ensure fullness of flavour. Smell the fresh Garram Masala and you will realise how much stronger it is than the bought kind.

By this point you onions are done. Add the chopped tomatoes, and chillis pop the lid back on and cook until the tomatoes have softened. The tomatoes should add some water to the mix but you may want to add more - perhaps around 50-100 ml, just to help mix the spices we are about to add.

Add 2 rounded tsp of the Garram Masala that we made (or your bought kind) to the mix and stir well. Add 1tsp ground cumin and fenugreek and 1 tsp of the pre purchased tandoori masala mix. Pop the lid back on and give it another 10 minutes or so to let the spices enfuse, stirring regularly.

Now get your hand blender out and give the whole lot a good blasting. Some like it very smooth, some like it almost lentil-like in consistency, for me it's just up to personal preference.

Well hope you guys enjoy my base sauce and good luck with the results. Feel free to ask any questions, or give me suggestions as to how I can improve my recipe, thanks, Rob.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 05:13 PM by robert.bain »

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Robs Classic Base Sauce
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 08:19 PM »
Hi Rob
      what curries do you make with your base, or do you consider it a curry on it's own?

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 11:56 AM »
I often make a Bhuna using this base sauce (my gf doesn't like it too hot and likes tomatoes), although I sometimes knock up a madras or vindaloo. Do you think I over spice at the base sauce stage? If so, what would you recommend and what would be a better base sauce recipe to follow?

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 06:49 PM »
Hi Rob,

I can't comment to much as I have not tried your recipe but whenever I have tried experimenting with whole ground spices I find myself further away from the BIR taste I'm after.  Lately I am of the thought that minimal spicing is the way to go with the base.  I highly recommend Gary's Rayver base in the base sauce section, lightly spiced but one of the best I have used.

©2024 Curry Recipes