Author Topic: Who's in?.  (Read 12961 times)

Offline lorrydoo

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Who's in?.
« on: December 01, 2007, 01:47 PM »
This is a follow up thread from the "How much would you be willing to pay?" thread, which I have re-posted below.

Quite a few people have shown an interest and subsequently pledged various amounts of money.  I don't think the money is the main issue at the moment but rather are there enough people interested to make this a viable proposition.   

If you are interested in joining this venture can you just post your name so we can see if there might be enough people to take it forward.

Origional post;

I was thinking the other day about my local BIR and how much I would be willing to pay for their recipe for a Madras/vindaloo.  It would have to be 100% guaranteed to recreate their recipe to the point that it would be indistinguishable from their own every time. I would also have to be able to make it in my own kitchen.

After pondering on this for a while, I would probably be willing to pay ?100.

What would you be willing to pay for your favourite dish from your favourite BIR using my wish list above?

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Who's in?.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 03:05 PM »
Stew (Admin) - 50 GBP pledged.

Offline fumble

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 03:08 PM »
I'd be in for 50 quid.

Offline Jethro

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 09:03 PM »
I would be up for it for 50 quid but depends on where it will be held.

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 11:28 AM »
I would be up for it for 50 quid but depends on where it will be held.
It's got to be done at home, otherwise what's the point?
But for a home demo with the "taste", yes, 50 pounds

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 11:56 AM »
It's got to be done at home, otherwise what's the point?
But for a home demo with the "taste", yes, 50 pounds

As I suggested on the other, parallel thread, the best bet would be for two demos as part of the deal - one at the BIR, followed almost immediately by one at home - same day, same ingredients (checked and secured), same everything apart from the blast furnace heat. But if they only agree to one demo, it should be at the BIR. Otherwise, if the end result lacks the taste and is genenerally considered a flop, they will simply say 'told you so, it can't be done at home?' And still demand payment. I've never been convinced by that dismisaal of home cooking or any claimed tests or experiments which I've read about anywhere on the Internet - real, contrived or otherwise.

A key challenge will be to get anyone to agree to payment by results and avoid a major dispute if you didn't want to pay. You'd be offering a lot of money - several hundred pounds. The end result MUST have the taste and be generally accepted as pretty damned good, otherwise the chef will be laughing all the way to the bank.

Even if there was a control sample, like I suggested before - cooked at the BIR, and we all said the home version tasted nowhere near as good, they might say it did and we were just making excuses to avoid paying, even if it was GBP50 or GBP100 for the demos and several more hundred pounds as a 'success fee'.

Offline lorrydoo

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 02:23 PM »
Your right George, there might be too many pitfalls to get this thing off the ground but I think if enough people show a genuine interest then that would be a starting point.  We could then take it further but if we do get to the next step, yes I think it  will get more difficult.  At the end of the day we all want the same thing and if I could have my own personal curry wish granted, I would ask for the perfect BIR curry written down as a recipe and it would replicate the best BIR every time at home. 

Could money buy such a wish?

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 02:33 PM »
It seems near impossible to get this one down without the help of an impartial third party educated on BIR curry... Unless... We put rival BIR's against each other.

Have the head chefs from two or more BIRs (the more the better) go at it in separate but similar kitchens. The ingredients are written for us in list form and we will purchased by us to avoid the use of any secret ingredients. We note their methods and at the end, gather the chefs, judge the results and give the cash collected by us to 1st place. This way we also get to learn the recipes from all the other BIRs involved in the competition for free.

I Have another idea but it involves a BIR chef, kidnap and torture.

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 03:00 PM »
To be honest with you i am more than willing to part with 50GBP if someone can negotiate entry into the kitchens and is shown how to make the base sauce and a finished curry and can take notes and film it.

The first step is to find a curry house who are willing to show us.
I dont really mind about getting them to show someone at home, we will just scale down the recipes and try at home ourselves.

Would be a great adventure whatever happens and if we can post the video on this site...even better.

Stew 8)

Offline lorrydoo

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 03:25 PM »
Stew, if we truly managed to buy the REAL DEAL then we might potentially have our own money spinner on our hands.  In essence, those who stumped up the cash would act like a syndicate of share holders and could potentially market their product.

©2024 Curry Recipes