Author Topic: Who's in?.  (Read 12958 times)

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Who's in?.
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 03:34 PM »
Hi Lorrydoo,

I suppose you are correct although i am more interested in making a proper curry at home.  Even if i could do at home i would still visit curry houses as i love it too much.

Lets hope we can take this forward, Haldi are you going to have a chat with the curry house you recommended?
S

Offline lorrydoo

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2007, 03:48 PM »
Stew, what kind of money do you think we might need to raise in order to tempt a good BIR chef?

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2007, 04:06 PM »
250 GBP would do it, i am sure any decent curry house would give us 2 hours for that money, a full demo of the cury gravy, the ingrediants laid out, the process of putting the base together and the cooking of two final dishes of our choice.

All of the above plus capturing on video and ability to take notes during the session.

I think that would be good value for 250GBP, and if we are happy we will be back for more lessons.

Stew

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2007, 08:06 AM »
Lets hope we can take this forward, Haldi are you going to have a chat with the curry house you recommended?
S
Do you mean Bengal Cuisine in London?
I think there could be a chance there, because they nearly do that anyhow
I don't think any of my local BIR's would do it
These places are very small
If they get busy when you are in the kitchens,you are really in the way

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2007, 12:54 PM »
Do you mean Bengal Cuisine in London?

Is Bengal Cuisine known to have the superior "pre-1990" BIR taste we're after? As another member said, those superior curries are becoming harder to find but must be worth travelling for.

Offline naga dave

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2007, 05:08 PM »
  You may or may not think this is relevant to this discussion, but around 20 years ago I placed an ad. with a box number in a regional newspaper under 'catering vacancies' which offered ?500 if an Indian chef would contact me and reveal the secret of the restaurant curry. None did, although some weirdies did write to me. I put the lack of response down to suspician. What I am saying is that you need to be very careful how you make your approach.
                                         D.

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2007, 06:17 PM »
For some reason the BIR curry game is full of scammers and people trying to make money out of other peoples desperation to know.  Just look at all the ebay auctions, dodgy ebooks going round and the people we have had on here claiming all sorts of rubbish with an angle to making money.

Unless the chef was known to one of us I would be very wary of handing over a large sum of money.

Offline naga dave

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2007, 07:06 PM »
  If the chef was known to you personally I would  be very wary if he was prepared to take money for a secret he would not otherwise reveal.
                      D.

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2007, 07:14 PM »
Uumm!  Haldi and I both had demos at the Bengal Cuisine and to be honest with you the dishes did not have the smell or taste that you are all looking for.  As for moi, I am quite happy with the dishes that I produce now.  Just go down the spiced oil road.  CQ

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2007, 07:51 PM »
Hi Naga Dave, your right, all the advice i've ever had and a demo cost me nothing. 

The advantage you have if you know the chef is hoping they wouldn't rip you off   :(

©2024 Curry Recipes