Author Topic: Experienced members base sauce of choice  (Read 90242 times)

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Experienced members base sauce of choice
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2007, 12:04 PM »
I have to say that I also think the KD base is a bit bland, hence the relatively heavy spicing I use in the above 'madras/vindaloo' type curry.  Had it last night actually!

Reading through what I've written above, I stated that once the spices were added to the hot oil containing the initial small addition of base, it should be fried for about a minute, probably best make it 20 seconds, it's easy to burn the spices.

I must say next time I make the KD base I may try frying the garlic/ginger as suggested somewhere on this site.

The only change I make to his base: After a roast chicken I make a stock out of the carcass, with some chopped carrot celery and onion (with their skins) by simmering the bones for a couple of hours with the veg and some star anise, bay leaf, cloves and peppercorns.  I use this stock in place of the water.  this makes it MUCH better in my opinion!

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2007, 01:33 PM »
Opps!! Just noticed elsewhere on here that KD is a 'Her', not a 'Him'; hope I heave not offended anyone!

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2007, 01:55 PM »
 ::) Whoops, I'm guilty there aswell! Sorry KD!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 03:54 PM by Bobby Bhuna »

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2007, 04:03 PM »
My last batch of curry base was KD, with chix stock, as I normally do, but I also added a couple of carrots and a pepper, the carrots made the base very obviously 'carroty' and heavy, I shant be using carrot again.  I read else where on Cr0 that making a basic KD base but with a slice of lemon and some celery worked well.  I have a 'gut feeling' that that would be very good as celery has a way of enhancing other flavours, so can'r wait to try it!

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2007, 03:30 PM »
I tried the highly acclaimed ifindforu restaurant base last night. I followed the recipe to the mark. On nearly every level, it's a great base but it absolutely reeks of coconut :-\ - my vindaloo was like a spicy Korma. I think using a whole 200g block is way over the top. Now I have a freezer full of brown coconut milk  :'(.

Offline fumble

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2007, 04:10 PM »
I have a 'gut feeling' that that would be very good as celery has a way of enhancing other flavours, so can'r wait to try it!

I've always been a bit wary of celery, it has a very powerful aroma that can dominate a dish if you're not careful. I've never detected any celery in any BIR currys I've ever had.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2007, 12:25 AM »
I think using a whole 200g block is way over the top

Yes, several people made the same observation and commented in the recipe thread Bobby (i.e coconutty....and garlicky).

I agree, 200g of creamed coconut block is way too much.  I used 50grams when I made it.  None at all would be a viable option of course.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 12:43 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2007, 12:30 AM »
I've always been a bit wary of celery, it has a very powerful aroma that can dominate a dish if you're not careful. I've never detected any celery in any BIR currys I've ever had.

I agree, like most things (except for chilli of course  ;)), moderation is the key to its use.  I find it does impart a very pleasant peppery and savoury flavour however.

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2008, 04:57 PM »
My new favourite is the Safron base. I have tried around 5 from the site now and it gives me the flavour that best resembles my local BIR - Balaka. Who else rates it?

Offline ast

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2008, 06:22 PM »
My new favourite is the Safron base. I have tried around 5 from the site now and it gives me the flavour that best resembles my local BIR - Balaka. Who else rates it?

You're ahead of me, Bobby, but I too am a big fan of the Saffron base.  There's still a couple more that I want to try (ifindforyou (Terry's) and the Rajver ones in particular), but I think this one has proven very versatile so far.  As soon as I figure out the best post-freezing technique (going to try a new approach tonight), I think I've got a pretty sound foundation.

Out of curiosity, what were the other bases you tried?

©2024 Curry Recipes