Author Topic: Experienced members base sauce of choice  (Read 90514 times)

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Experienced members base sauce of choice
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2008, 07:44 PM »
Hey Guys

Only a minor detail, but don't forget the poll ....

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,823.0.html

;D

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2008, 11:14 AM »
Out of curiosity, what were the other bases you tried?
In this order. KD, Admins new base, Darth, ifindforyou and Saffron. I'd rate them in order of best to worst as Saffron, Darth, Admins new, KD and ifindforyou.

Saffron had the right flavour and texture and reminded me of my favourite BIR.

Darth's was similar but just didn't taste as good. Good body though but I'm not so keen on the colour (if I remember correctly this is down to the lack of tomatoes).

Admins new base was a turn up for the books for me. I tried this after the KD base and thought it was better. Really good strong fundamental flavours, great colour and easy oil reclamation! Overspiced however and so not versatile. All the curries taste the same :o

KD was the first base I ever made, as I'm sure it was for many members. I thought it was great but discovered there are better. It has too much ginger, stinks out your house and is far too thin. I also think the method is over complicated. I bet I could take 3 steps out of it and end up with the same result... The blending of raw garlic / ginger in water I think is unnecessary - separate blending / cooking of the onion mix and the tomato mix also seems over the top and I can't see much difference in reserving a little onion mix to cook your meat with to just using a little of the base. It seems to pedantic and I think is all part of the illusion that there is some kind of secret being divulged.

Ifindforyou base is just like brown coconut milk. Will someone please edit that recipe from where it assumes a whole block of creamed coconut, to using something more sensible? I spent quite a lot of time getting the ingredients together e.g. Tararind paste, Ajowan seed and so on, so I was really quite disappointed. I'm going to try it again with little or no coconut to give it a fair chance because something about the recipe really appeals to me, only everything was ruined by a creamed coconut block the size of a large soap bar.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 05:56 PM by Bobby Bhuna »

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2008, 06:10 PM »
Due to the popularity of Darths 100% Madras clone base, I'm going to give it another shot. When I made it I was at my gf's house and strangely enough every curry I make there is nowhere near as good as I make at my own place. I have better access to good ingredients and superior cookware and am more familiar with my cooker. I'll let everyone know how I get on.

Incidentally, I note that the Saffron base isn't that popular and yet I find it just great. Has anyone else tried it as well as the Darth base and if so, what comparisons would you draw?

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2008, 06:52 PM »
Incidentally, I note that the Saffron base isn't that popular and yet I find it just great.

Probably because it was only posted 3 weeks ago (6th Jan 2008) Bobby !
I suspect many havn't had chance to try it yet.

BTW, in comparison, the Darth 100% BIR base recipe was first posted on 18th December 2005

;)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2008, 06:58 PM »
Probably because it was only posted 3 weeks ago (6th Jan 2008) Bobby !
I'm sorry SnS, I had that in mind while I was posting but forgot to put it in. That's the reason I was asking if anyone else has tried them both - I think not many because it looks like only the two of us have voted Saffron, but I would certainly say it is better.

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2008, 07:35 PM »
I'm sorry SnS, I had that in mind while I was posting but forgot to put it in. That's the reason I was asking if anyone else has tried them both - I think not many because it looks like only the two of us have voted Saffron, but I would certainly say it is better.

Ah, you're looking at the poll? I don't think many appreciate it's existence.  ;)

I get the impression that the poll isn't being used as much as it good be.  ::)

If it's just us two voting for the SBG (Saffron Base Gravy) then I think we should keep this secret recipe to ourselves eh? .. or of course sell it as an E-Book !  :o Damn didn't want to go there !  ;)

SnS  ;D

Offline ast

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2008, 09:16 PM »
it looks like only the two of us have voted Saffron, but I would certainly say it is better.

I voted for it too! ;D

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2008, 09:26 PM »
it looks like only the two of us have voted Saffron, but I would certainly say it is better.

I voted for it too! ;D

In that case we'll split the E-Book profits 3 ways eh? (what's that, 5 quid each per book download)  ;)

Offline ast

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2008, 09:39 PM »

I voted for it too! ;D

In that case we'll split the E-Book profits 3 ways eh? (what's that, 5 quid each per book download)  ;)

Whoo-hoo!!! ;D  We'll get rich for sure, now!

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2008, 11:48 AM »
Well it looks like us super keen newer members rate it highly. I bet the old school members are probably still making there way through their freezers full of existing base.

Well geriatrics - if you're reading this, upon emptying your freezers of your current favourites, join us FAGS (possibly an inside joke here) and knock up a Saffron base ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes