Author Topic: Experienced members base sauce of choice  (Read 90391 times)

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Experienced members base sauce of choice
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2008, 03:04 PM »
BTW, I made a curry yesterday using a batch of Darth's base that I found in the back of the freezer from a heckuva long time ago, alot of the water in it had evaporated in the freezer over time, leaving me with about half of the base originally put in there....the colour had darkened to a burnished orangey colour but the flavour had intensified the resulting curry was fan-bloody-tastic (I didn't add any water, I wanted to see if there was any difference)  but I didn't follow a recipe, just bunged in what I liked. What I ended up with was a cross between a jalfrezi with madras heat....albeit with a fried onion puree which I use in dopiazas...the curry had the taste, the smell and the lure of a bisto gravy to the local young thugs :D

I wish I'd written down the recipe, it was definitely one of the best curries I've ever made. I just wish I knew if it was down to the bases partially freeze-drying or to the mix of spices I used :'(
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 11:49 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2008, 11:46 PM »
All posts about pasatta moved to new thread here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,2428.0.html

This thread was made sticky because it's supposed to help new members determine which base to try.  Please can we keep it to that  :)

Many thanks  8)

Offline two-sheds

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2008, 01:27 PM »
I am new to bir can you tell me when a base sauce is completed do you remove the floating oil or mix it back in the gravy.

many thanks for your time boggy

i.j.richardson

Offline two-sheds

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2008, 01:30 PM »
sorry BOBBY i spelt your name wrong

IJR (silver surfer)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2008, 01:48 PM »
In my opinion, you should carefully remove the oil from the top of the base and keep it for cooking your curry. This is called "spiced oil" and many people think it is important for achieving the right taste. Here is a thread discussing the use of spiced oil in some depth http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,735.0.html

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2008, 01:59 PM »
I mix it back into the base before freezing so that each portion of base already has it's own share of the 'spiced oil' in it ... innit?

SnS  :-\

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2008, 05:11 PM »
i think remove it and use it for frying the curry.

i'm still reading up on the subject see other links in addition to bobby's (which i'd not found - thanks BB)

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,602.0.html
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,782.20.html

Offline jane

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2008, 12:44 PM »
Hi

As a new member (yesterday) I made Darthphall's Base Curry, it is delicious and made enough to last at least a month! Try it with Curry King's Khalia it's a real treat!

Jane

Offline alfieb

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2008, 06:00 PM »
Ive tried three base sauces with Darths being the first one. After struggling to make anything that resembled BIR i must say this was the best id ever made even the missus thought it was great and i didnt get the feeling she was just being polite. Ive made a rushed  curry since when out of base sauce and used celery, carrotts and onion with madras recipes and found the results very good. The 2nd base i made was ifindforu. Must say was very dissapointed with this one. Missus only ate a mouthful before turning her nose up and i must admit i wasnt keen either and i can usually eat anything that resembles a curry but still it could have been something i had done wrong but cant pick up on anything. Just made the sns base and the colour and smell are fantastic going to knock a madras together tonight and v optimistic. Also my preferred dish is madras. Where i live ive tried around 7 takeaways and only one stands out as being my preferred choice- not that the others dont taste good. Its just the others do taste more like a gravy theres a taste that you get in them all - its almost a creaminess- as though this is the norm but the one i like is not like the majority and doesnt have the taste of the others any idea what this might be

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2008, 08:09 AM »
alfieb,

the ifindforu is a little different to most on the site for sure. i find it very good but use it more as a now and again sort of special occasion base (not for midweek). the last stage of adding the seasoning (must be rajah) and getting the adjwain seeds proportion right for your taste buds are the key bits for me.

know exactly what u mean on the 1 out of 7 on the TA's creaminess. my take is that the one i like has more garlic, tom puree, lightly spiced (less cumin, more paprika) and has a high proportion of onion in the base. the oil is their but not too much.

©2024 Curry Recipes