Author Topic: Bay Leaves (Tej Patta)  (Read 16359 times)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Bay Leaves (Tej Patta)
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 11:29 AM »
I've ogt the Rajah ones atm, and some of them look pretty diseased. I'll post pictures. In the mean time, lets hope that viruses have yet to pass the plant / human barrier ;D

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 10:21 AM »
i've finally found a packet (found in stoke).

not had chance to use them yet but on a chew test i'm well impressed and have high hopes - the european bay tastes very sour in comparison and generally very much inferior.

given my difficulties in finding the stuff - not all BIR must use. with hindsight u need to ask for "Bengali" bay. i'd asked for asian bay previously and only received blanks looks. even an asian lady shopping in the shop had not come across the bengali type (she even had her own european bay tree which she recommended). the lady i am sure bought a bag of the bengali to try too.

ps many thanks to commis for the local heads up on Stoke - had real good morning out and found a real gem - First Choice Continental Foods, Newlands Street, ST4 7AE

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 10:12 AM »
given my difficulties in finding the stuff - not all BIR must use.

Honestly Jerry I just can't relate to this statement. I've been using this for years and have never had any problem getting it. It's available from all the usual suppliers, e.g. Natco, TRS, East End etc.

If you say you've had problems getting it I have to take your word, but you must be living in some far out wilderness!   ;D

And although I can't say for sure that all BIRs use it, in all cases where I have been able to see a BIR using 'bay leaves' they have been the asian bay.

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 09:12 AM »
Maybe it's a North West thing, not being able to find the Asian ones. For years I couldn't find them then a new Asian supermarket opened and they had them in stock so I bought loads of packs of them (TRS brand) as I think they are essential in plain and pillau rice and in base gravies.
Since I cleaned them out they have not had the real thing back on the shelves, they stock East End but only the European variety and when I've asked about the Asian ones they come over all 'no comprende'.
I'm well stocked up for now but as soon as I see any more I shall be bulk buying again.

Cheers
CoR

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 10:14 AM »
Secret Santa,

i too was taken a back by how hard it was to find/get. i know i would be able to get in rusholme for example 100% (i include longsight as well) - the place has never failed in supplying everything i've found difficult to get elsewhere - it's just a bit of a jaunt to get their. i generally shop local in warrington or bolton and both do not stock.

trouble is now i think part of the difficulty was that u can't ask for "Asian Bay" - it needs to be "Bengali Bay".

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2010, 01:35 PM »
Actually what worries me more about this asian/bengali/english bay thing is that it now seems clear that many people are/have been using the English laurel bay. Now perhaps I'm just losing some sensitivity in my taste as I age but the dried English bay taste like cardboard to me, there's just no flavour to extract from them.

The asian bay is a whole different matter though and has loads of flavour to extract, so perhaps this thread will nudge people to start using the real thing.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2010, 08:40 AM »
so perhaps this thread will nudge people to start using the real thing.

i certainly hope so. whether it's used or not by BIR this bengali bay is far superior and i'm confident will remain a key ingredient in my store cupboard replacing the naffer version.

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2010, 11:05 AM »
I think it most definitely a BIR thing, at least from years ago, for me a decent pillau rice just isn't right without it.

Regards
CoR

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2010, 10:55 AM »

i too was taken a back by how hard it was to find/get. i know i would be able to get in rusholme for example 100% (i include longsight as well) - the place has never failed in supplying everything i've found difficult to get elsewhere - it's just a bit of a jaunt to get their. i generally shop local in warrington or bolton and both do not stock.

Hi JerryM

Would Cheetam Hill be easier, there are some cracking Asian supermarkets and since they built the new Tesco parking is a doddle, the 'Manchester Superstore' is amazing, the Kashmir and Worldwide are great as well. Got myself 4 big (200g) packets of Asian Bay leaves, TRS brand, for a fiver yesterday, that's probably enough to last for another couple of years or so!

Cheers
CoR

Offline matt3333

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2010, 12:48 PM »
Hi
If anyone is interested the asiancookshop.co.uk sells TRS Tej Patta (Indian Bay Leaves)
Might be of use to those not near Asian shops.
M

©2024 Curry Recipes