Author Topic: Bay Leaves (Tej Patta)  (Read 16360 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Bay Leaves (Tej Patta)
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2010, 08:36 AM »
CoR,

many thanks. Cheetam Hill must of changed a bit. i'll tryout the stores next time i'm passing.

ps the Manchester Superstore is the same name as the shop i use mainly in bolton.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2010, 12:23 AM »
Actually what worries me more about this asian/bengali/english bay thing is that it now seems clear that many people are/have been using the English laurel bay. Now perhaps I'm just losing some sensitivity in my taste as I age but the dried English bay taste like cardboard to me, there's just no flavour to extract from them.

I think it's horses for courses. The English laurel bay leaf is a staple ingredient in European cooking. As I said before, they have loads of flavour when fresh. I think the Asian 'Bay' leaf is from a completely different plant with a completely diiferent aroma, just like tea is different to coffee. I now realise I've been making a mistake, using English bay leaves in Indian cooking.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2010, 03:26 PM »
The English laurel bay leaf is a staple ingredient in European cooking. As I said before, they have loads of flavour when fresh.

No dispute there George, it's only the dried ones I find unpalatable.

And I don't think you're alone in using them in curries but hopefully more people will now try to get the Asian ones.

Offline artistpaul

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2010, 10:07 PM »
Hi Guys

I used to live in Ireland and had a European Bay tree growing in my garden, so it was used fresh all of the time in various dishes not just Indian

I now live in Turkey where the Asian variety grow everywhere like weeds so when I need some I walk 10 yards and pick them for free

I can safely assure you the European variety  even fresh are all but a bit useless after you have cooked with the Asian variety, you might as well chuck in a few leaves from a privet hedge

Get some and try them in your next go at making even Spag Bol of which a bay leaf is always specified, you will be converted

Make some Pillau rice with the Asian one, well the difference will be sooooo obvious IMO

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2012, 07:02 PM »
Ive FINALLY found some tej patta!! ;D(where's that dancin smiley?)
Yet another erroneously named thing in the curry world. ::)
Bay leaf ::) NO!!
Malabar leaf YES. ;)

My quest took me all around Bradford and Blackburn to no avail, only for me aunt to find some in Burnley ;D Whoo hooo!
Very very different in flavour. ;)

YEARS ive been wanting to go to Bradford, YEARS!
what a let down!!!!!!!!
Was the same when i went to Southall 25 years ago. "is this it?" i said. :P

Ya cant beat good ole' Tooting ;)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2012, 07:36 PM »
Ive FINALLY found some tej patta!! ;D(where's that dancin smiley?)
Yet another erroneously named thing in the curry world. ::)
Bay leaf ::) NO!!
Malabar leaf YES. ;)

My quest took me all around Bradford and Blackburn to no avail, only for me aunt to find some in Burnley ;D Whoo hooo!
Very very different in flavour. ;)

YEARS ive been wanting to go to Bradford, YEARS!
what a let down!!!!!!!!
Was the same when i went to Southall 25 years ago. "is this it?" i said. :P

Ya cant beat good ole' Tooting ;)

Aye, remember the place well and you'd probably have got it in Tooting easily :D.  Spent a lot of my childhood there.  Congratulations on finding the Asian bay.  Boy are you in for a surprise when you use it :o.  It is so so different :P  Just opening my container the aroma is fantastic.  This was probably one of my memorable cooking moments of 2011 when i eventually managed to track it down and first used it in pulao rice. The european variety doesn't even come anywhere close.  And you can see why you only need one or two leaves :o

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2012, 08:10 PM »
Ive been living in mid wales for about 15 years now, and the only thing i miss about london is the shops, in particular spice shops and take aways. :'(
havent been down for 2 n half years now, used to be every week for work.
maybe its a good thing though.....rekindled hobby + collecting tendencies = 2nd kitchen? hahaha
SO many spices now! :P

©2024 Curry Recipes