Author Topic: CA's Butterfly King Prawns  (Read 2843 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
CA's Butterfly King Prawns
« on: December 16, 2007, 12:42 AM »
Some of you may remember these "little" beauties:

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Butterfly King Prawns
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 12:44 AM »
Well, I turned them into these beauties:
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 12:58 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 12:58 AM »
....by shelling them (apart from their tails), cutting down their back, removing their vein and flattening then into a "butterfly".

I then floured them (seasoned with salt and pepper) and battered them using "Mary Mack's Instant Batter" made with lager rather than water (of course).

I then deep fried them, at 160C for 4 minutes, and served them with Chinese prawn fried rice (similar to MP's recipe here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=974.0) and a homemade garlic/chilli pouring/dipping sauce (much like a South African Peri Peri sauce).......HMMMMMMMMMMM SUPERB! 8)

Incidentally, I used my incendiary wok burner to blast my cast iron wok to maximum temperature....and I have to tell you...it makes ONE HECK OF A DIFFERENCE TO THE FLAVOUR OF THE RICE!.....definite Chinese restaurant flavours and a definite appreciation of the illusive "WOK HEY" going on!  8)

Sorry, didn't have the heart (or confidence!) to turn the little fellas into a King Prawn Vindaloo!  :P

Offline Jethro

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 06:16 PM »
They ain't prawns they are small lobsters!!
Don't blame you for not sticking 'em in a vindaloo, total waste of seafood in my opinion.
Must say they look a bit yummy tho'
I'll just phone the bank and a re-mortgage the house to buy a pack :)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 10:31 PM »
Hi Jethro,

I guess it was really my lack of confidence in being able to do them sufficient justice in a hot curry.

One of my fondest curry recollections (in 1980) is of having a king prawn phal (6 king prawns..."double deckers"....in a phal sauce), on its on, eaten with a plastic fork, out of its foil tray, in a seedy guest room in Canterbury. 

It was so, so hot and so, so tasty...superb!  If I was confident of doing THAT to those king prawns (or lobster, etc), I surely would have, not a doubt!  My favourite curry for sure!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 01:45 AM by Cory Ander »

©2024 Curry Recipes