Author Topic: We only post images of success stories and that's bad  (Read 4487 times)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
We only post images of success stories and that's bad
« on: December 16, 2007, 02:21 PM »
It dawned on me last night when I removed a couple of overcooked bajis from the pile as I was getting out my camera. We only ever post pretty pictures of perfect curries and the like. Let's face it, they don't all look like CA's Vindaloo/Nan (which by the way, he obviously took in a restaurant  :o)

I think that this could be a big mistake, as I'm sure images of catastrophic curries and burnt bajis could help everyone find out what's going wrong and hence diagnose future curry related mishaps.

From now on, I for one am going to put my ego on hold and post the rubbish that comes out of my kitchen, along with quality BIR food - that's a call for cr0 to upgrade their hosting package btw :P

Offline Jethro

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: We only post images of success stories and that's bad
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 06:51 PM »
Ok I'll start the ball rolling, I can't post any piccies but let me describe the last but one curry night I did.
 All started well, it was a Darth's Madras I was doing and the starters were my own version of Tandoori King Prawns served on cast iron sizzlers.
CA's Pillau rice was needed and it was about 30 mins before the guests were about to turn up.
Being bright and vagualy scientific methinks, I shall not boil 3 kettles full of water I shall put the pressure cooker on and do it in one go, far quicker.
Big mistake!!!
Our new all singing all dancing pressure cooker does not have the old type of weight in the middle that you can take off and be sure that all the pressure is released.
It is a new fangled thing that rotatates in steps to adjust the pressure. One minor design flaw with this is that when its boiling well, the vibration can actually make the weight go from unpressurised to fully pressurised without you knowing unless you look closely.
The Other design flaw is that the lid is quite stiff to get off even when it is cold.
The result of this combination of design faults and several G&T's results in me taking the lid off of a fully pressurised pressure cooker with about 6 pints of superheated water in it.
Don't try this at home folks, it bloody hurts and the one thing that went through my mind as 5 pints of steam and water tried to take may face off, is that one of the guests coming in a good looking nurse, she will look after me (I did not mention this to the wife at the time because the scalding was bad enough, let alone being castrated into the bargain.) :)
Anyway, apart from my skin falling off my face for a couple of days, the meal went well but the kitchen ceiling needs re-painting  :P

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 10:20 PM »
CA's Vindaloo/Nan (which by the way, he obviously took in a restaurant  )

You're kidding, right?  I don't know if I should be flattered or insulted at the suggestion!  :-\

....I'm sure images of catastrophic curries and burnt bajis could help everyone find out what's going wrong and hence diagnose future curry related mishaps.

You make a very good point BB  :P

ALL photos are welcome, good or bad.  This Forum is about learning so anyone with any questions or problems (with supporting photos or not) should be encouraged to raise them for sure....and I think they do...continually.

But, I have to say, I'm certainly not going to go out of my way to produce crappy looking dishes for the benefit of tuition (though some may anyway beg to differ here of course!)....I'll leave that to you then since you're so keen ;)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 10:30 AM »
Lol, well I try and try but they just keep coming out perfect   ::) I'm sure there will pictures coming this way!

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 03:43 PM »
Let's face it, they don't all look like CA's Vindaloo/Nan (which by the way, he obviously took in a resturant

have to disagree, i tried many of CA recipes and they all come out as good the photos suggest...

yes all photos are a benefit, if your just chuffed with what you have achieved and want to share the results or if you have a disaster and want to discuss what went wrong this is the place to do it... next time my tikka end up in the BBQ coals ill reach for the camera!!

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 03:54 PM »
UB, I think you misunderstood my post. I was merely complementing CA's Vindaloo / Dhall / Pilau rice platter, perfectly presented in all the proper BIR stainless steel cookwear.
I said that not everyones results look as good at that image all of the time. If you reread my post, you will notice that at no point do I make any comments regarding the outcome of CA's, or for that matter any other contributing members recipes. What I was trying to point out is that not everything that comes out of the kitchen is going to look perfect and I think the photos posted here should reflect that.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 04:04 PM »
Ahhhhh, to be fair BB, your previous post did appear to be a little cynical...ever given the opportunity to put it into context (by me)!  So I can't say I can blame UB for replying as he did!  He probably thought you were being facitious (as did I, I must admit!)! :P

Anyway, thanks for explaining otherwise!  ;)

But you're right, we should post pics of our faliures too....and seek opinions and advice!  8)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 04:27 PM »
:o Oh you curry boys and always thinking the worst eh???!!! :P Oh well, no offense meant to anyone! :)

©2024 Curry Recipes