Author Topic: indian chinese food.  (Read 1784 times)

Offline robothrobo

• Chef
    • View Profile
indian chinese food.
« on: December 18, 2007, 06:05 AM »
I have noticed a few indian chinese restraunts opening up here in sydney australia and was wondering if it is happening elsewhere? The bombay chinese restraunt is one and after looking at the menu it just sounded like chinese food but must cater for all the indians migrating here that have their chinese a lot different than us. Has anyone tried it and what is it like? Cant imagine a sweet and sour chicken tikka!!
Anyone got any recipes to try?                                           

Offline Graeme

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: indian chinese food.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 06:21 PM »
Hi,

No such thing in my area. The only other thing
that comes to mind is Singapore.
A cross between Indian and Chinese foods.

Offline chinois

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 05:43 PM »
When by brother went to india last year he said it was v common for indian restaurants to serve chinese dishes. I got the impression they were cooked by the indian chefs but can not confirm that as he didnt see inside the kitchens. The quality was not great but he did eat quite a few so they cant have been too bad. I've got a menu from one of them in bangalore, it's indian on one side and chinese on the other but it all comes under the same establishment name.
This was pretty much all over india (as he travelled).

Offline Gazza63

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 04:01 AM »
One place that comes to mind when thinking of a mixture of these two cultures is Malaysia, have been to both Kuala Lumpar and Penang and both of these cuisines are served up side by side in the food courts and some restaurants and do in some cases blend together, I have lived in Thailand now for six years but aren't really that keen on Thai food, my girlfriend can't understand why I have to have my BIR style curry every Saturday night after the live footie on TV, can be a bit of a pain when the Chelsea game doesn't finish till midnight though. 

Offline ast

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 10:42 AM »
Here in Ireland, there's been a recent trend of "one stop shop" takeaways.  Most of the Chinese places now claim to do Thai (although most of the time, it isn't very good), but there are a few out by us that do Indian/Chinese/Thai and even one that does Indian/Chinese/Thai/Italian for some strange reason.

I'd been inclined to dismiss most of them, but I was talking to the owner of an Indian grocery yesterday that said the one Indian/Chinese/Thai place by where I live is owned by an Indian guy that used to have a restaurant in town, but got tired of it, so he's only doing takeaway now.  I haven't tried it yet, but I think I might on that basis just to see what it's like.

©2024 Curry Recipes