Author Topic: A personal tour of the Kitchens of Saffron Restaurant in Lincoln  (Read 10862 times)

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: A personal tour of the Kitchens of Saffron Restaurant in Lincoln
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2007, 04:18 PM »
Hahaha, this poor chef has no idea what he's in for!!! He'll wish he'd never met you when this is over  ;D

Yeh you're probably right Bobby - but I hope not.

At the moment I get the impression that Raj appreciates someone actually taking a genuine interest in what he does best!

Offline wardy11

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007, 04:37 PM »
I visited lincoln last year and went to the Saffron . got to say the food was fantastic. :)

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 05:05 PM »
I visited lincoln last year and went to the Saffron . got to say the food was fantastic. :)

Nice to hear it Marc. Not just me over-rating it then?

Would you describe the Saffron as a good example of a BIR??

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2007, 05:09 PM »
I hope you know how lucky you are!  ???

On a more serious note, would you say that the restaurant curries have the "taste" and the "smell"?

I ask because I think I stand a good chance at getting some kind of demo at The Balaka, St Andrews. It won Pat C's best 2001 but although the food is great it's aimed at the high end market and isn't in keeping with classic British back street takeout. I would prefer somewhere more classic as that's the flavour I'm out to match.

It's intresting that they use the three bases, as I seem to remember the same in that restaurant Gordon Ramsay sorted out on Hell's Kitchen. Can you please try and find out what that's all about?

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2007, 06:46 PM »
I hope you know how lucky you are!  ???

On a more serious note, would you say that the restaurant curries have the "taste" and the "smell"?

I ask because I think I stand a good chance at getting some kind of demo at The Balaka, St Andrews. It won Pat C's best 2001 but although the food is great it's aimed at the high end market and isn't in keeping with classic British back street takeout. I would prefer somewhere more classic as that's the flavour I'm out to match.

It's intresting that they use the three bases, as I seem to remember the same in that restaurant Gordon Ramsay sorted out on Hell's Kitchen. Can you please try and find out what that's all about?

I think so Bobby. It's hard to tell whether it has both the taste and smell of the "back street" curry. I certainly wouldn't put it at the "high end market", as good as it is, although they do add some frills.

Of the two other curry bases, it was interesting that one was for the Korma and Pasanda type curry and I think he said the other was used for the tikka masala's (where they also used some Garam masala).

Good luck with The Balaka. 8)

SNS

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2007, 07:17 PM »
Great post SnS,

General:

• Do they use stock?  If so, what type and in what?
  • What does he ascribe that "BIR taste and smell" to? At what stage is it developed?
  • How important does he think high heat is in developing the taste and smell?
  • Does he think the "taste and smell" can be reproduced at home?  If not, why not?
  • What type oil do they use?  Do they use "reclaimed" oil?  If so, from where?
  • Do they use ghee (butter or vegetable)?  If so, for what?
  • Do they use a "curry powder" or "spice mix" (or similar)?  If so, for what?
  • What other masalas and pastes do they use (e.g. tikka, korma, etc)?
  • Do they use commercial blends of spices and pastes (e.g Pataks)?  If so, which and for what?
  • What types of pots and pans do they use?
  • Do they use MSG?  If so, in what?
  • Would he like to help us on this forum or know of someone who can?
  • Would he like to help us with our project to replicate BIR curries at home or know of someone who can? (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2187.0)

Curry Base:

• How much oil, and of what type, do they use in the curry base?
  • Do they salvage the oil from the base (or deep fat fryer?) and use it elsewhere?
  • Do they fry the onions or just boil them?
  • How do they get the bitterness out of the onions?
  • What's the overall cooking time for what quanity of curry base?
  • Do they use high heat to cook the curry base?
  • How do the three curry bases differ?  Where is each used?

I'll add questions to the list as I think of them....

Crikey CA - Im sure Raj was expecting education not interrogation. I'll do my best to get answers to all your questions though. :o

Regards
SnS ;)

Du vill anzer zeez kves-chuns !!!! :-X

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2007, 12:52 AM »
Oh I'm sure you'll present the questions in the delicate, discrete and palletable manner that is your want  ;)

I think that the limited number of spices you mention would be about right for most of the main curries (plus fresh toms, etc)...e.g. bhuna, madras, vindaloo, jalfrezi, etc.

I expect he uses some whole spices (though and mixes of spices) for things like rice.

I expect he also uses a tandoori masala (maybe a commercial powder or paste) for CTM, etc

I'd be pretty sure he uses a cream/evap/coconut/almond paste (of come concoction) for korma and CTM

I'd be pretty sure he uses other commercial pastes (and possibly masalas) too.

No fenugreek (dried leaves) suprises me a little (he'll surely use it if he makes baltis?)

STOCK is a big question mark for me!  :-\

OIL (source of) is another!  :-\

HEAT is another (I'm sure this creates "the magic" as with Chinese cooking)  :-\

If you only got answers to these questions I'd be happy  :P

.....well...sort of.... ::)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 01:19 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline robothrobo

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2007, 10:13 AM »
You are the man.!!I am proud of you as you are going where not many have gone before.cory ander has hit on all the right questions to ask, so good luck. It will be a lot to take in so you might have to ask your new best friend for a few lessons if you can push your luck.Ask him if he would like to be famous and do some articles or recipes for this site.Looking forward to learning from you mate.rob

Offline wardy11

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2007, 11:32 AM »
sns. No you are not overating it . The dishes i tried were really nice . would love to duplicate them at home. Easier said than done  ;). So good luck .

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2007, 06:17 PM »
I can't wait to hear more on this topic!

©2024 Curry Recipes