Author Topic: YUCK! Disgusting!  (Read 11142 times)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: YUCK! Disgusting!
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2007, 05:36 PM »
Hey UW,
Perhaps my fully illustrated Bhundaloo thread may be of help http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2224.msg18930;topicseen#msg18930  :P. I know it's a Madras you're trying to make but if you follow the instructions and keep to the times on the bottom right hand side of each image, that should see you through each of the main stages of the cooking process. Hope this helps!  8)

Offline underwurlde

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2007, 08:52 PM »
Thanks again guys!

@fumble I have all those oils to hand in my cupboards, but majority I use for Chinese, to date (pre-cr0), like I said for Indian, only sunflower oil & olive oil, but now, I see little point in using anything other than sunflower oil.

I came across a very similar thing with regards smoking point of oils on Wiki (was that your source smokenspices?).

@Bobby Bhuna I read with interest your Bhundaloo (did you make that name up, vrey ingeneous if so!). I will definately give that a try sometime soon!

Today I used a base that I thought more suitable for Madras, this one here:
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1894.0

Came out pretty well but I thought it a little sweet.

I have used some of this base to make a Jahlfrezi, which to my delight was bloody excellent. I chose Jahlfrezi because tonight I cooked for two as I did not have time for 2 separate recipes: my wife did not like the sound of trying a Madras so I went for Jahlfrezi instead (as you may have guess, she is more of a Korma chomper).

I will try that all elusive Madras again tomorrow using some of tonight's leftover base & pre-cooked chicken (which is now lingering in the fridge).

Thanks again everyone,

Andy

PS
Wife has spent all day a-fartin'  ::)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2007, 09:26 PM »
so I went for Jahlfrezi instead (as you may have guess, she is more of a Korma chomper).

Eh? Did I miss something there? Jalfrezi is usually very hot with whole chillies in it, was your version mild?

Wife has spent all day a-fartin'  Roll Eyes

and that was before she had the curry :)

Offline underwurlde

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2007, 10:03 AM »
Yes, Jahlfrezi is 'usually' hot, but to me a curry can be as hot or as mild as you want, in other words in my mind a certain curry means a certain flavour which you can vary the heat of to suit your taste.... This means that if you can't stand hot curries you can still try a vindaloo.... or conversely you could make a hot Korma.

This is just my opionion of course! Others may disagree, but lets face it, it is all a matter of personal taste.

and that was before she had the curry
I cannot possibly comment!

Andy

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2007, 12:11 PM »
Hi UW,

Yes, I understand what you mean about "personal taste".  My preference is for a Chicken Tikka Masala "Vindaloo (or Phal) hot"!...and that usually throws them and creates a few puzzled (and even contemptuous) looks!...until they get to know you and replace it with a nod and a wink!  :P

But, whatever your personal preference, an archetypal BIR Korma is very mild and creamy and an archetypal BIR vindaloo is very hot and somewhat sour.  A typical Jalfrezi would certainly be towards the hot end of the spectrum (it does typcially have whole fresh chillis in, as SS points out).

Unfortunately, a hot Korma, or a mild Vindaloo, whilst arguably being very palatable, sure aint archetypal BIR fare!  ;)

There are some definitives in BIR curry cooking, and this surely must be one of them!

Having said that, it would be great to know which recipe you used to make the "bloody excellent" Jalfrezi?

I cannot possibly comment!

Is that because you're still holding your breath then?  ;)

PS:  Lovely paintings by the way!  8)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 12:25 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2007, 12:51 PM »
1st attempt was unfortunately DISGUSTING!...I tried this curry base:
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=674.0

I presume you made both the curry base and the madras UW?  They have both invariably had very favourable reviews by most people who have tried them.

I would agree that you probably burnt either the spices and/or the garlic, either of which will give a bitter taste.

As SnS suggest, try making a paste of the spices in water (or oil) to avoid burning them.

What I ended up with was not very flavoursome at all, VERY VERY dark brown horriblest curry I have EVER made. Yuck!

Something went seriously wrong UW  ;D  The curry base should end up a light brown colour (see the photos that people have posted in the thread) and the madras a darker brown colour

My conclusions: I think I have burnt something somewhere

Yep, seems so! ;D

I cannot explain why the curry I ended up with looked so horribly dark brown. I think it may have been the tom puree.

Maybe you simply burnt the edited by CA for inappropriate language!  ;D out of the spices and garlic UW?  ;)

Also, I do NOT think that particular base is for the Madras type curries, to me the consistency is more akin to Korma / Massala dishes, hence to make matters worse this crap I cooked up just now was also stodgy

The curry base is supposed to be mildly spiced ("bland") and versatile UW.  You can alter the consistency, of course, by adding more or less water (or stock) until you get the consistency you require.  It makes an equally good Madras and Korma, in my experience.

Anyway, the GOOD news is that using the same base & precook chicken, I went on to create a Chicken Korma for the wife. It is the most accurate Korma I have ever cooked and my wife was well pleased with the result: ?Just like from the Restaurant? she said, ?That?s the general idea!? says I

I'm slightly confused that you then used the curry base to make a Korma "just like from the restaurant" UW?  Maybe you just burnt the Madras, did you, and not the curry base?  Was the curry base a light brown colour?

....shall avoid it's use from now on (olive oil) and stick to good old sunflower oil.

Sounds like a good choice to me UW  :)

Also check this previous thread regarding oils:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2139.0...it might be of interest.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 12:55 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline underwurlde

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2007, 03:04 PM »
@CoriAnder: Great responses there! Thanks for taking much of your time in responding.

Re: Post #1
Yes CoriAnder, you speak the voice of reason & agree with all you say there - you are echoing many of my thoughts!

Thanks for the compliements about my Wife's paintings on her website BTW, I have passed them on (she is a very busy girl ;) )

Re: Post #2
The base went well & I see what you mean about it being suitable for all types of curry (I think)... I reckon most curry houses use about 2 or possibly 3 different base sources from which they derive all their dishes. For that first base I made to be more of a 'Madrassy / Vindallooy' type base in my mind I would have said that it should have been less smooth / creamy / and definately with some toms in it (that that base lacked).... but I guess toms could be added later. Do you see where my thoughts are coming from here?

Note: I am NOT rubbishing the base curries here or any other methods - let's get that staight. Apart from MY initial cock-up (the point of my thread was to really confirm in my mind where I had gone wrong) the two bases I have tried (one for the Korma, the other for the Jahlfrezi) went superbly well!!!! esp considering this is my first attempts using these new (to me) methods.

I'm slightly confused that you then used the curry base to make a Korma "just like from the restaurant" UW?  Maybe you just burnt the Madras, did you, and not the curry base?  Was the curry base a light brown colour?
Base went well, meat prep went well, cocked the Final Madras cooking bit up totally by having oil far, far to hot & not tempering it with chopped onions first! Base curry texture & colouration as good as the same as the pics kindly provided in the threads.

How I cooked my Jahlfrezi, Serves 2:
NOTE: you guys will have to spice it up heat-wise of course by adding chillies etc.
This is Wifey-MILD!
This base:
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1894.0
Pre-cooked chicken :
(Chicken simmered for 20mins in: Oil ? 4 tbsp, Water, Cinnamon stick ? 1?, Cloves ? 6, Crushed cardamom pods ? 3, Bay leaves - 2, Turmeric ? 1 tsp, Curry Powder ? 1tsp
Lemon Juice ? 1 tsp, Garlic Paste).
Jahlfrezi:
Oil ? 1 to 2 tbsp, Soy Sauce ? 2 tbsp, Creamed Coconut ? 1? cut from block, Tom puree - 2 tbsp, Red & Green Peppers ? largely chopped / quartered, Lemon Juice ? 1 tsp.
?Mild? spice mix ? 1 tbsp, fenugreek 2 tsp, mustard seed ? 1 tsp.
Usual method, heat that lot up, add base and then precooked chicken. Garnish with coriander before serving.

Andy

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2007, 11:53 AM »
I went on to create a Chicken Korma for the wife. It is the most accurate Korma I have ever cooked and my wife was well pleased with the result: ?Just like from the Restaurant? she said, ?That?s the general idea!? says I.

UW

Did you see the question I asked about this, a few days ago, under the 'main dishes' category for the 'chicken korma' topic (currently 2nd topic down).

I'm keen to hear more about your successful approach for chicken korma.

Regards
George

Offline underwurlde

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2007, 03:46 PM »
See your thread George...

Andy

©2024 Curry Recipes