Author Topic: Found in curry.  (Read 4974 times)

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Found in curry.
« on: April 16, 2005, 12:46 PM »
Been rooting around the second portion of Vindaloo & found Black Mustard Seeds,some whole Cumin seeds & ground Black Pepper along with the usual spring onion & potatoes.
There is more salt in than i though(tasted it cold as you are able to taste things better when cold).
Thinking about putting Potatoes in a batch has anyone done this ?
The curry has that smell, plus it smells like one other recipe i use which i was going to stop using (NOT!!).

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Found in curry.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2005, 01:09 PM »
Been rooting around the second portion of Vindaloo & found Black Mustard Seeds,some whole Cumin seeds & ground Black Pepper along with the usual spring onion & potatoes.
There is more salt in than i though(tasted it cold as you are able to taste things better when cold).
Thinking about putting Potatoes in a batch has anyone done this ?
The curry has that smell, plus it smells like one other recipe i use which i was going to stop using (NOT!!).
Potatoes are a standard ingredient in a lot of curries.
Certainly I have had vindaloo and madras with them in.
This is part of the post from about six weeks back:-

Ingredients: -

A couple of large spoons of oil taken from the top of curry gravy
2 teaspoons of chopped onion and green pepper
(I think it was fresh, although it could have been pre fried)
1 teaspoon of salt, dried fenugreek and balti paste
1 teaspoon chilli powder
3 teaspoon of the spice mix
2 large ladles of curry gravy
2 very large spoons of pre-cooked veg which included carrots, cabbage, brocolli and peas
A couple of chopped bits of pre cooked potatoes (almost a grey colour, not yellow)
Chopped fresh coriander

The gas ring was on maximum
Heat the oil from the curry gravy and add the onion and pepper.
Fry for a minute
Add the salt, dried fenugreek, balti paste and stir a little, mixing in (thirty seconds)
Add the chilli powder and spice mix and stir this in as well for about a minute.
Then add a quarter of the curry gravy.
As the pan dries, add the same amount again.
Then add the pre-cooked vegetables and stir
After a minute add the potatoes and the rest of the curry gravy.
Bring the whole lot to a rapid boil.
The oil is on top of the curry and bubbles like mad.
Stir occasionally and after about four minutes add the fresh coriander mixing in.
Turn off the gas and leave a minute

the full post is at:-
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=147.0

What is the recipe you do with the same smell?

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2005, 04:00 PM »
Been rooting around the second portion of Vindaloo & found Black Mustard Seeds,some whole Cumin seeds & ground Black Pepper

This raises an interesting point. If you look at the restaurant style recipes posted here there is rarely if ever any whole spices included. But I often find whole green and black cardamom, cloves and the like in retaurant curries. Hasn't anyone else noticed this?

along with the usual spring onion & potatoes.

I've eaten vindaloo around the country but it's never come with potatoes or spring onion, weird eh?

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2005, 04:13 PM »
This raises an interesting point. If you look at the restaurant style recipes posted here there is rarely if ever any whole spices included. But I often find whole green and black cardamom, cloves and the like in retaurant curries. Hasn't anyone else noticed this?
I have found green cardamons quite a few times.
It comes from the pre-cooked ingredients
see:-

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=108.0

reply number 1 ,? part2

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2005, 04:43 PM »
The larger seeds/pods i find are always in the rice,the biggest ingredients in the curry itself are.
 1. Spring Onion chopped.
 2. Coriander chopped.
 3. Cumin seed (unsure if it Black Cumin,never tried it).
 4. Ground Black Pepper.
  Here is another interesting point i can eat garlic no probs,but garlic powder gives me mild stomach acid,when i make a curry its
  fresh,when i have a take-away who can tell but i get stomach acid ,there is something in there !!

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2005, 05:05 PM »
Ive found pods and cassia bark in my vindaloo a few times and im sure it comes from the precooked chicken as ive found they have sneaked in when ive made a curry a few times.

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2005, 05:11 PM »
I`ve experimented with cassia bark & Star anise , softens the taste & adds a little sweetness to the curry.Curry King did you see how alike your chefs ingredients were to what Ive been told lastnight ??

Offline Curry King

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2005, 05:29 PM »
Yeah I reckon thats the standard gravy and each chef has his own extras that they may add to it, i was told you can add lemon juice, small amount of garam massala and whole spices boiled in water and you use the spicy water to thin the blended gravy.  Other things different restaurant people have told me is potatoes, celery so pretty much anything goes as long as the base is the same or similar.

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2005, 05:37 PM »
Potatoes ,funny you should mention that AS i was eating my potato from my vindaloo i thought there is a resemblance in the gravy to the taste of the old spud,could help to give the gravy a gentler flavor ,even though they are hot curries they are never harsh in taste , lemon juice is well i asked that some time ago "aaa no Lemon juice " Chef seemed a bit miffed at this, i get a feeling i might be able to goad him inti giving away his secrets (hehehehehehe for us i hope) ;D ;D ;D

Offline Curry King

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2005, 05:47 PM »
Yeah tell him that if he doesnt sort u out with recipes ul eat else where  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes