Author Topic: The Curry Book  (Read 69567 times)

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: The Curry Book
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 01:55 PM »
I think Woks Up pretty much hits the nail on the head, I would have loved for it all to be true but it's not.  As usual someone trying to take advantage of other peoples desperation to know.

For some reason I couldn't see the bhuna picture so have linked to it here, I guess this is the one you were referring to Woks?  Looks the biz... not

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 02:13 PM »
I'm happy if one of the moderators has moved the thread I started (this one) from the relative back waters of the eBooks category to the more visible 'Lets Talk Curry'. I know it's a potentially controversial topic, which is why I chose the lower profile route! But I consider it's important to be like an 'official opposition' if there are valid counter-arguments and other comments/warnings which may need to be made. Nobody would be happier than me if any of these eBooks are the real deal, i.e. have recipes which most people could follow, with sensible quantities, and which produce curries which really are just like from a BIR. But I think we're already further forward as a group, than most people publishing these eBooks.

I share Woks Up's and other members' concerns. I wouldn't be so concerned about photos (which you can't smell or taste!) if the end result is genuine.

There are 101 reasons why all this looks so suspicious to me. For a start, most BIRs (and McDonalds) are consistent with their dishes not just from year to year but often from decade to decade. I doubt if any BIR's have an R&D type department who develop lots of different base sauces and other recipes. Also, you have to consider motivation here. Money is a good one, although it surely won't be easy to make a lot, unless you are Pat Chapman! Stew has done a first class job setting up this forum and I'm sure it took a fair amount of work. But he's not an incessant poster or working 24-7 developing new recipes, whether these are genuine work from kitchen tests, or just pulled out of thin air, and written down to look good. There's a phenomenal amount of effort going on there from between 1 and perhaps 3 people (at a guess), depending on how sceptical you are.

As I've implied before, all that matters is results. If any of the recipes in that eBook are a great breakthrough in taste terms, I'm ready to eat many of my words.

Regards
George

« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 02:26 PM by George »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2008, 03:02 PM »
I think that's the general idea, purely because we don't want to give the edited for inappropriate language by CA free advertising.

You do know the meaning of double standards don't you CA?

Here's one from you from this page http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2236.msg18940#msg18940

Maybe you simply burnt the sh*t out of the spices and garlic UW?

So as you've appointed yourself chief arbiter of inappropriate language, where do you stand now?

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2008, 03:12 PM »
What on earth are you talking about SS!  :o

I was talking about burning garlic!  You were talking about a person!

Somewhat of a different context don't you think SS??  I'm sure you can see that?

Besides, you maybe didn't see some follow up posts (subsequently deleted by others) that had bearing on my decision to (innocuously) edit your post!

I suggest that you'd be better placed to recognise your friends and foes SS!  :-\
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 03:47 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 03:59 PM »
By the way, we have several members that frequent both sites.

I think we should be receptive to counter arguments too! 

I'm sure some of you may feel that Andy's recipes are the "bees knees"?? 

If so, we'd sure like to hear from you...and the reasons why!  :)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2008, 04:03 PM »
I sincerely hope I did a fair thing by opening this potential can of worms topic. Becaue of the subject, I guess there are some strong emotions and that's when powerful language may be used, understandably so. But, please, please, everyone - try to use language which would be acceptable for somewhere like the House of Commons, rather than risk having this whole topic closed or deleted. Potential buyers of these eBooks risk being expoited and I see it as reasonable and fair to advise caution. Let's try to avoid having the topic closed or deleted. Some editing would be vastly preferable to that.

Regards
George

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2008, 04:06 PM »
By the way, we have several members that frequent both sites.
I think we should be receptive to counter arguments too! 
I'm sure some of you may feel that Andy's recipes are the "bees knees"?? 
If so, we'd sure like to hear from you...and the reasons why!  :)

I agree. I'm more than willing to consider both sides of the argument and am quite prepared to have my mind changed if any/many of the recipes actually produce good results, e.g. better than my suggested "Darth 100%" benchmark.

Regards
George

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2008, 04:32 PM »
I went over to the dark side this afternoon and it seems that anything interesting wants paying for!!! Sadly this meant that I was unable to view and hence comment on the image of the pale Bhuna recipe. It strikes me that for a spin off from this site, it's awfully similar in layout.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 04:45 PM by Bobby Bhuna »

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2008, 05:01 PM »
I share Woks Up's and other members' concerns. I wouldn't be so concerned about photos (which you can't smell or taste!) if the end result is genuine.

Quite correct George but I would be a bit concerned if it was me faced with eating that particular bhuna  ;)

Seriously though it would be great if a new eBook comes out and amazing results can be achieved, the reality is that this one is not it.  Most of us on here have tried the recipes or various versions of them already, the difference this time is the disappointment will be doubled because you have not only wasted your time but also your money.  No doubt someone on here won't be able to resist(I'm looking at you Haldi) and pay up for it so will look forward to a review.

I should say though that this is my opinion and not that of cr0's or anyone else.  I am fully aware that people have produced good results that they are happy with, thats fine but they are not what I am looking for and certainly not worth paying for. 

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2008, 05:15 PM »
Hey guys, what's happening?

Is this book written by a member of another forum then?

Is it just another scam?

Has anyone read the ebook or looked at the recipes?

Is it worth getting?
... or is everything about this ebook not a topic of discussion on this forum ???

More info please ...

I'm beginning to wish I hadn't asked now!! :(

From what I can see, if the necessary information isn't available from this forum (for free) with its many very experienced members, then it certainly ain't going to be available on any other forum (free or otherwise).

As for bad language - well it really isn't necessary - and idiots who register with inappropriate and offensive names, just so they can spout off, really need to grow up - or go to another forum. :-[

Regards
SnS

©2024 Curry Recipes