Author Topic: Vindaloo Experiment #1 (Illustrated)  (Read 11028 times)

Offline Chris303

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Vindaloo Experiment #1 (Illustrated)
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2008, 03:09 PM »
Hi. Nice.

Did the redness come from the particular base you used or from the particular masala?

Offline ast

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Vindaloo Experiment #1 (Illustrated)
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2008, 10:51 PM »
Interesting about the smoothness.

Correct me if I'm wrong Ast, but aren't you now adding chopped onion at the start of the Vindaloo curry .. whereas when you made this before with KD base,(ie: the one you mention above) you didn't add onion ??

ps: I can't imagine it is attributed to either the carrot or the potato.

Hi SnS.  Not sure how I missed this, but I didn't see your reply until now.  Only have a few minutes, but, yes, you're right about the onion.  Still, the smoothness I was talking about was more to do with the overall texture rather than anything I would normally attribute to the chopped onions.

I'd have to check the dates vs. the posts in the Saffron thread, but this was also after I'd started using the frozen Saffron base (I think) and hadn't yet tried re-boiling it.  Lots of other weirdness going on around that time (potentially over-cooking, base not behaving due to freezing, etc.), so may have been related.

It may have been just one of those weird planetary alignment sort of things... ???

Hi. Nice.

Did the redness come from the particular base you used or from the particular masala?

Hi Chris,

I think it was down more to the abundance of volume of chilli powder that gave it the color than anything else.  The base (plain KD) was sorta orange-ish (which you can see in the pictures, I think), but the spice paste is a deep, dark red.

Since I've changed to using Natco or East End (can't remember which at the moment) extra hot chilli powder, they aren't quite the same color as this set were.  Bear in mind, however, that this was also with a different base, so it could be a combination of the two.

Hope this helps.  Gotta get back to work... :(

Cheers,

ast

©2024 Curry Recipes