Author Topic: Vindaloo Experiment #1 (Illustrated)  (Read 11021 times)

Offline ast

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Vindaloo Experiment #1 (Illustrated)
« on: January 03, 2008, 02:26 PM »
Since I'm working at home today and few people are back, I decided that I'd have a go using some of what I've learned from the forum to make a Chicken Vindaloo for lunch.  I'm happy to say, that I think it's all down to technique, because I think it was every bit as good as BIR curries I've had from my favorite restaurant.  I also have that same "heavy" feeling after eating it that I have with "real" BIR, so something must've gone right.

Most of what I did was influenced heavily by the cooking techniques described by Gary (parker21) in this post:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2041.0.

However, I only used it as a guide as to techniques, and adapted some things as well.  Here's the run-down of what I did:

I started with some of the remaining Stage 3 KD base I described in this post: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2246.0 and half of the remaining cooked chicken.  I set aside about 500ml of the base.

I then put about 3 tablespoons of oil in a 1/4 cup measure and added 1/4 tsp of dry minced garlic to it (I used all of the fresh we had the other day).  I let this sit awhile, so that the granules would absorb some of the oil, but it was also so I could get the rest of the stuff organized.

I then decided I'd use the spices from the KD curry recipe, so I made a spice mix of:
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 6 tsp hot chilli powder
  • 1 tsp garam masala (heaped)
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin (heaped)

Dry Spice Mix

I'd originally decided I'd follow Gary's method to fry the dried spices, but then I knew I wanted to add some of the remaining fresh chillies I had.  I looked at my notes from Gary's post and decided that it would make sense to cook the chillies in with the dry spices, so then I decided I'd add them to the spice mix.  Having mixed it and coated the chopped chillies, I got to looking at the process again and said, "Why not make a paste instead?"

Again, based on Gary's method ("1/4 ladle of runny base sauce(200ml ladle)"), I poured 50ml of base into the dry spice mix and made a paste.

Vindaloo Paste Mixture

Once this was ready, I started to actually prepare the vindaloo.  I heated the empty pan on med-high heat until it felt like it was ready (not sure how else to put this).  I dumped in the oil and garlic and quickly swirled it around the pan, roasting the garlic granules and making sure they didn't burn.  Not sure if it was 30s or not.

I then added the paste to the hot pan (not removing it from the heat) and quickly stirred it around to fry the paste.  I'd say it was about a minute.

Frying the Paste Mixture

After that, I dumped in the remainder of the base sauce and boiled gently (reduced the heat to around medium), stirring constantly (mostly to reduce the splatter) for about 3 minutes to reduce it to close to my desired consistency.

After First Reduction

I then added the chicken and continued to stir occasionally for about 3 minutes.

Finished Vindaloo (in the pan)

Served over a fresh batch of my pilau rice (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2233.0) and garnished with a few of the chopped chillies and a few sprinkles of dried coriander leaf (but without the Cobra beer this time). :(

Finished Vindaloo (presented)

Based on it being exactly the same base, and exactly the same spices but yielding vastly superior results than my New Year's Day efforts, I don't see how there's a "secret" ingredient missing from any of the bases people are using on this forum.  It all comes down to the technique used in making the curries.

Of course, the big question is:  can I actually do it again??? ;)

All-in-all, I'd say it was a fairly mild/moderate vindaloo (what you'd get here around the 3rd time you asked for a really hot vindaloo at the same restaurant in as many weeks so they didn't forget you).  Next time I think I'll try 8 tsp of chilli powder instead, or add more fresh chillies.  I don't think the paste could handle more than most of two chopped fresh chillies though.  Each of these was about 4" long.  I'm not sure how the consistency of the paste would be with the additional chilli powder either.  I guess it's just a feel thing so that it turns out the right consistency.

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers,

ast

BTW, still frustrated with the pictures, but at least these are better.  It's a little tricky to take pictures and cook at the same time without messing either of them up, don't you think?  I guess this just takes practice too--or an assistant. :)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Vindaloo Experiment #1 (Illustrated)
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 02:34 PM »
I want it!!! :(

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 02:41 PM »
Can i say they are some of the best pictures in terms of quality i have seen on the website.
What camera are you using i must get one immediatly.

Curry looks superb by the way.

Stew 8)

Offline ast

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 02:43 PM »
I want it!!! :(

Too late!!! Already gone! :D

BTW, I forgot to say thanks to Gary (parker21) for posting the Rajver recipe/method in the first place.  Cheers, mate.

Offline ast

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 02:54 PM »
Can i say they are some of the best pictures in terms of quality i have seen on the website.
What camera are you using i must get one immediatly.

Thanks for that.

These were taken with my Canon 300D and the Canon 35mm f/2.0 prime lens.  I had it set to aperture priority and needed to use f/2.0 for most of the shots because I didn't want to use the flash (I hate the one on the camera, and I haven't splashed out for the proper bounce flash yet--probably wouldn't have worked with the range hood in the way anyway).  ISO was set to 400 with a few shots adjusting the exposure down a step or two.  WB was set to Fluro lighting.

I really needed more light and about f/8 or f/11, but I couldn't get clear pictures with the default shutter speed.  That's why parts of the pans, etc. are in focus and others are not.  I was also quite close to the pans so that they'd fill the frame, meaning that your focal length is going to be pretty precise on your focal point.

When we get around to redoing the kitchen, I'm going to put in better lighting.  What's here is a bit crap, and not designed for tall people.  I can't even stand at the sink without my head creating a shadow where I'm trying to work!  >:(

Curry looks superb by the way.

Cheers.  Mighty tasty too! :)

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 02:56 PM »
hi ast you must have known
just logged on and read your posting very good and i am pleased that peeps are getting the results using the method i posted. what i was going to say was rather than putting more chilli powder in change to a really hot one like TRS extra hot chilli powder or ask in a local asian store.or fry a couple of really hot chillies in the oil and sauce then remove,i would go for green chillies though as i think the reds tend to be bittererer.oops!
well done again with the pictures. would love to post something but abit useless at things like that at mo. and i am on stupid dialup a the mo also. but just waiting for broadband modem to turn up so maybe soon.

keep up the good work ast

regards
gary

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 03:30 PM »
Amazing pictures Ast thanks for sharing them  8)

Offline ast

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 04:27 PM »
hi ast you must have known
just logged on and read your posting very good and i am pleased that peeps are getting the results using the method i posted. what i was going to say was rather than putting more chilli powder in change to a really hot one like TRS extra hot chilli powder or ask in a local asian store.or fry a couple of really hot chillies in the oil and sauce then remove,i would go for green chillies though as i think the reds tend to be bittererer.oops!
well done again with the pictures. would love to post something but abit useless at things like that at mo. and i am on stupid dialup a the mo also. but just waiting for broadband modem to turn up so maybe soon.

keep up the good work ast

regards
gary

Thanks Gary.

I need to do a proper shopping trip to an Indian Grocer in the near future.  I'll have a look out for the TRS extra hot powder.  I'd also been thinking of making an Habanero paste to add, or throwing in some of any one of the really hot chilli sauces I have just to see what would happen.    Could be interesting, or it could kill me. ;)

I've seen people fry the chillies in oil before to make chilli oil (and then eaten the resulting dishes--not Indian though), but I always want to cry when they throw them in the bin afterwards.  Still, if you want a subtle and smooth chilli taste, it's the way to go.  Might be good to make a big batch to have on hand.  Could also be interesting to use chilli oil for the curries as you suggest, but in addition to any "normal" fiery ingredients.

Maybe there will be additional experiments after all!  ;D

Bummer about the dialup.

Offline ast

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Vindaloo Experiment #1 (Illustrated) quasi-phall?
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 12:36 PM »
Had to cook the remainder of my batch this morning so it wouldn't go bad.  I wanted to see if I could duplicate (or come pretty close) to the results from last time.  I think it was ok, and I'm not 100% sure if this is really a phall or a hot vindaloo, because I only tasted a bit of it when I was cooking.

This time, I used my 1/4 cup measure and covered the bottom of it with garlic granules and added roughly 40ml of oil so it wasn't quite full.  I also changed the spice mix slightly based on what I had left in the cabinet.  Once I eat the finished curry (which, unfortunately will need to be frozen/thawed first), I'll have a better judge of how hot it was.  From the cook's taste I had, it might end up being a low-end phall, but it didn't seem as hot as the one I had in London (which was 2 years ago, so my memory may be a little off too...)

Revised Spice Mix
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp hot chilli powder
  • 3 tsp cayenne pepper powder
  • 1 tsp hot chilli flakes
  • 8 red thai chillies (dried, then rehydrated in water for about 12 hrs and chopped finely)
  • 1 tsp garam masal (heaped)
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin (heaped)

I then made it into a paste using 30-50ml of curry base and continued to make as above.  Here's some pictures of the missing steps too.

Roasting Garlic Granules in Oil

Frying Curry Paste

I think there was a little more base/spice mix this time since I didn't have so many teaspoons of spices, therefore it's a little thinner than last time.

Base Added to Curry Paste

I didn't calculate quite right, and I only had about 350ml of base left to make this dish.  This may have served to throw some of the other proportions off too, but I think it still tasted good.

Phall at 1st Reduction

This is the Phall just before I added the meat.  Still a bit thin, but was guessing as to how long it would take to heat the meat and thicken to the proper consistency.

Finished Phall in the Pan

Phall and Rice Packaged for Freezing

Note that my rice is suffering from my experiment that I posted in my pilau rice recipe thread.  You can read more about it over there:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,2233.msg19245.html#msg19245 if you want to have a giggle.

The final verdict is that I think this is certainly the way to prepare the finished curry, so the next experiment will be to use a different base and this technique to see what happens.  I'll post experiment #2 in the next couple of weeks when I'm making a new batch of base.

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 12:55 PM »
Hi AST
      Like everyone said:- Brilliant photos!
Boy, you sure like your curries hot
I like them hot, but not THAT hot!!
Thanks for the post
I put chilli sauce on nearly every meal
I use one, the other or both of these
Anyone else tried them?

©2024 Curry Recipes