Author Topic: How should you freeze and reheat finished curries?  (Read 2823 times)

Offline ast

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
How should you freeze and reheat finished curries?
« on: January 04, 2008, 12:24 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I've been searching through the form to find a concise description of how this is best done, but except for the post regarding using a deep muffin tin (which I've now lost again), I haven't found anything close to guidelines.  I know a number of people seem to do it all the time (it's mentioned loads), but what's the best approach and how does it affect the taste of the curry?

I'm going to need to finish off some base/meat that's in the fridge, but my wife's not yet finished hers from the last round, and I've already eaten 3 curries this week, so I'm up for a bit of a break! (blasphemy, I know...) ;)

Thanks in advance,

ast
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 04:32 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: How to freeze and reheat finished curries?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 01:12 PM »
Hi AST,

I'm not sure that I fully understand your question, but my attempt to answer (nevertheless!) is as follows:

Freezing

You can basically freeze most of the stuff, just follow normal freezing and defrosting procedures for similar foodstuffs:

For Curry Bases:

• Freeze in a sealable container.  I use 250ml (big enough for about 1 to 2 main curries) and 500ml (big enough for about 3 - 4 main curries) plastic cups covered in clingfilm.  However, a proper sealable container (e.g. of the Tupperware variery) would be preferable, I'm sure!  Note that Indian restaurants do not freeze their curry base!..so a difference (between BIR and home) curry cooking will immediately have been introduced!
  • "Wisdom" has it that, to preserve consistency, the curry case should be reheated (microwave or pan) and reblended.  It should anyway be added to the final curry hot!  Personally, I don't reblend; I simply reheat it.  It seems fine to me

Pre-cooked meat:

• Freeze in a suitable sealable container.  I use sealable sandwich bags but, to be honest, I seldom use pre-cooked meat because I invariably use chicken or prawns and I really (no, really!) dont think that they need it!  (Unless it's tikka)
  • Defrost it as you would normally defrost pre-cooked meat or fish

For Main Dishes

• Freeze in suitable sealable containers.  I use 700ml (enough for about 2 people) rectangular plastic containers with snap-on plastic lids.  These work just fine and stack nicely in the freezer
  • Defrost as you would normally defrost pre-cooked meals containing meat.  I often defrost it in a microwave and finish reheating it in a wok.  You can reheat it in the microwave, of course, but you lose some of the consistency

Rice

• Freeze in suitable sealable containers.  Again, I use 700ml (enough for about 2 people) plastic containers with snap on lids
  • Defrost and reheat (until piping hot!) in the microwave
  • rice really is that perfect candidate for reheating in the microwave!  It comes out even more fluffy and separated than it was before it was frozen!

Hope this helps a little AST?  Please let us know if I misunderstood your question!  8)

Offline ast

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 01:44 PM »
Hi CA,

It was more than I was looking for, but a perfect response! :D

I think it will be great to have all this in one place.  A lot of it I knew (especially about storing/reheating rice), but I don't generally freeze many finished dishes - hardly ever, in fact - and I was nervous about freezing something as "sensitive" as a curry.  Sure there's the convenience aspect, but if the trade-off between taste and convenience isn't firmly still towards the former, I'll just plan accordingly.

I have successfully frozen and used the KD base after stage 2 as she recommends, and the only issue with it that I had was that I didn't adjust the final stage 3 simmering time to account for the extra moisture.  The resulting curries were far too liquid for my taste.  Mind you, I've only done this the one time, so I haven't successfully tested my theory.

Again, thanks for the reply, and you understood perfectly.

Cheers.

Offline Graeme

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 12:33 PM »
For Rice.

I make a large batch about 20 servings,
cool very quickly (say 1 hour)
A flat container is best for cooling,
then pack for freezer as below.

ASAP after above
Fill sandwich bags (tescos etc) with enough
rice for 1 or 2 people per bag.

Roll up to remove air, seal with zipper on bag.

Bags seem to fit in my freezer better than box's.

To use...
just pop into micro for a 2 (or 3) min's then spread the rice
onto plate. Micro again 1 (or 2) min or more. The bottom of the
plate should be very hot and the rice steaming.

hope this help.

Offline nice 'n easy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 07:53 PM »
I just use freezer bags, pour in a couple of portions, tie em up and chuck them in the freezer. Easy, cheap, fit in freezer well and you can just rip the bag off and defrost/reheat in a bowl. Sometimes I forget and microwave them in the bag, seems to work OK but they are a pain to get when hot.

Offline ast

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 08:02 PM »
Thanks for all the responses, folks.  First batch of finished stuff frozen today, so I'll be using as many of your tips as possible.

Cheers.

©2024 Curry Recipes