Author Topic: New Base Gravy from visit to Saffron  (Read 338476 times)

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: New Base Gravy from vist to Saffron
« Reply #260 on: February 04, 2008, 12:49 AM »
Mag

I'm not 100% sure, but I read somewhere that some recently imported brands of GM vegetable oils contained a large amounts of Soya. I wonder if it was this that created the bad smell/taste.

SnS  ;D

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 04, 2008, 01:02 AM »
I used the original recipe,(just noticed there is a new improved one out)

Sorry about that Mag  :-[

I've now increased the font size, alerting people, in the first post!  :P

Offline Mag1973

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 04, 2008, 01:09 AM »
Not your fault Cory, I think I'm like most people and read the thread then only read further posts from the last I had read, it was by accident I went back to the first page and saw the improved recipe amendment.So even the enlarged font wouldn't have helped as I had already printed out the recipe so had no real need to go back.

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 04, 2008, 08:19 AM »
That sounds really wierd Mag. I've never heard of anything like that. You get the odd person burning spices/ginger/garlic but nasty oil! That's a pain! Glad you got it to work out in the end though.

Offline dmac296

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 09, 2008, 04:50 PM »
Hi made the saffron base last weekend using the original recipe (grams). came out looking like others ive seen, smelt and tasted ok too,
Have since made it into Lorridoo's chicken tikka masala. Was a great success, chicken comes out really succulent and the sauce was just right for the friends i was cooking for.The only changes i made where using a full can of tomato soup (because i'd opened it) and 1Ltr of base (because thats the size i froze it in.
If other recipes come out half as good i will be more than happy. THANKS.

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: New Korma using Saffron Base Gravy Illustrated
« Reply #265 on: February 09, 2008, 05:47 PM »
Hi Folks

Have just completed cooking using my new Chicken Korma recipe using the Saffron Base.

Turned out really great.

Will be posting here later today with detailed recipe and photos.

SnS  ;D

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
New Korma using Saffron Base Gravy Illustrated
« Reply #266 on: February 09, 2008, 08:29 PM »

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 09, 2008, 08:40 PM »
A picture of the finished Korma

SnS  ;D

Offline malacara

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 10, 2008, 09:41 AM »
made the base yesterday. I halved it as my fridge was packed with other bases. I measured everything very carefully to be as close to the recipe as I could. The cooking process went ok, at the end the base was not so dark as in the sns picture and not so much oil in the surface, however it had some. very nice smell and good and sweet taste (next time i will add  more salt though). I left it a couple of hours and then made a prawn madras (Haldi recipe) and I have to say that i am very happy with the results, i don?t know if it had exactly "the taste" but it had some of it, that?s for sure. I will try to make another curry very soon to see how it goes but to me it is definitely a keeper. Thanks so much for the recipe sns   

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 10, 2008, 01:17 PM »
Hi Malacara

Pleased that it went okay for you. I think you are the first to comment on the newer "definitive" recipe so far.

I tend to agree with the comment on the salt, as I thought the same. Having said that, I think it's probably better to have too little as opposed to having too much, as salt can always be added later, to taste.

Despite now specifying the amount of water to be added at both stages, the amount actually remaining in the final gravy will depend on the evaporation rate during the cooking process, particularly during the final stage when the pan is uncovered and we're on a vigorous simmer. This will vary from person to person, according to heat settings, and to a lesser extent the material, shape and diameter of the cooking pot.

If however at the end of the cooking process there is not much oil at the surface (particularly after the gravy has rested a few minutes), it may be down to the gravy being slightly too thick. Add some hot water (eg: 250 ml), and cook for another 5 - 10 minutes.
The oil should then separate. :)

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has tried the newest version yet?

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,2271.msg20262.html#msg20262

Regards

SnS  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes