Author Topic: New Base Gravy from visit to Saffron  (Read 338718 times)

Online mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: New Base Gravy from visit to Saffron
« Reply #410 on: May 28, 2008, 09:19 AM »
Thanks for your comments JerryM.
I do intend reclaiming the oil, but rather than reclaim it all in one hit I thought I would reclaim it per portion as I use it!(400ml oil divided by 8 bags = 50ml per portion).I realise that the thin consistancy of the gravy is where it needs to be. I prolonged the simmering process hoping to seperate out more oil, but also to reduce & thicken the gravy. I realise the error of my ways now! I would put money on the fact that nearly all BIRs would reclaim the oil. After all, IMO thats what its all about

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: May 28, 2008, 05:09 PM »
IMO thats what its all about

Mickdabass, just wait till your  reclaim oil hits the frying pan - u'll know not only what it?s about but where u are as well - the smells simply fantastic

Offline lorrydoo

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: May 31, 2008, 06:02 PM »
Have made and used all of this base now, it was good and very flexible.

Offline qprbob

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: February 05, 2009, 09:30 PM »
Hi SnS
As a newbie on this forum I was amazed at the number of Base Sauces ther are. As yours seemed to have a lot of feedback, I gave yours a go. Made the b ase as per your recipe and was pleased with the result,although i could not get any oil to rise.then there was the curry to make and again I chose your Madras that was on the same thread. The result was not what I expected,although very tasty it was no where near a BIR Madras. The resultant dish was very sweet. Could this be the use of wrong onions? Bob

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: February 06, 2009, 01:36 PM »
Hi qprbob

Could well be the onions - you should have used English cooking onions.

Try the SnS Base June 2008 next time as it is a modified 'improved' version of the original Saffron recipe. There is also a Madras to go with it (you can also use the Saffron base with this Madras recipe).

see here

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2757.0

Regards
SnS

Offline qprbob

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: February 25, 2009, 12:07 AM »
As stated earlier, the base i made was very sweet. Could this be used to make a Korma or Passander. I really appreciate your answers, you can't beat experiance.

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: February 25, 2009, 12:36 AM »
How does the sweetness compare to other bases, and which ones have you tried? I only ask because too much sweetness is not something I've encountered in my many base trials, other than when I added sugar, or creamed coconut.

Cheers,

BB.

Offline qprbob

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: February 25, 2009, 12:46 AM »
It was my first atempt at a base gravy, I've since made the SnS2008, which worked really well with a Prawn Madras and the Chicken Jalfrezi that I've made so far,

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: February 25, 2009, 11:27 AM »
I'm wondering whether you used red onions as these are much sweeter and less pungent than other varieties.

Red onions are best used sliced in the final curry as they require little cooking eg: Jalfrezi, Dopiaza etc ...

Offline qprbob

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: February 25, 2009, 12:02 PM »
The onions  I used were large onions from Sainsbury's, I think Spanish. Made your revised 2008 base and used cooking onions and the base was not that sweet at all.

©2024 Curry Recipes