Author Topic: New Base Gravy from visit to Saffron  (Read 336104 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: New Base Gravy from visit to Saffron
« Reply #570 on: March 30, 2013, 06:06 PM »
If you want to continue with your view that Deggi Mirch is only what you blend, and that what comes out of an MDH packet is something entirely different, that is entirely your choice.   For myself, I prefer to trust the judgement of people who have been selecting, blending and selling spices in India for almost 100 years in preference to the opinion of someone who only joined the forum on 1st November 2011 yet who clearly believes that he knows it all.

This is my last post on this subject as I can see it's boring the pants off everyone else.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: March 30, 2013, 06:30 PM »
While you guys were arguing, I made a jalfrezi with this base sauce and I'm quite happy with the end result. The base seems somewhat similar to the taz base which I was quite happy with. It's too early to say whether it's a winner, but I'm anxious for the upcoming meals. Sadly I'm heading off for dinner at a restaurant so won't be until later or tomorrow.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: March 30, 2013, 06:40 PM »
  For myself, I prefer to trust the judgement of people who have been selecting, blending and selling spices in India for almost 100 years in preference to the opinion of someone who only joined the forum on 1st November 2011 yet who clearly believes that he knows it all.

Tut Tut Phillip  ;D What relevance  when someone joined the forum has got to do with any of this?  ;D Poor line.  ;)
For all you know Spicey could've written 25 books on the subject before joining this forum.  :P

Shhhh, last post remember.  ;D

Offline BoneHoney

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: August 21, 2013, 06:03 AM »
Thanks for sharing this. I only have just found out about base gravy and it turned out that it was the vital missing ingredient in my years of trying to cook the perfect restaurant curry. the only base I have used to date is the Glagow Base Sauce and my Chicken Tikka Masala turned out sublime using it.

Offline Drobbly

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: October 01, 2013, 09:26 PM »
How long does it keep and can it be frozen in small portions?

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: October 01, 2013, 09:43 PM »
How long does it keep and can it be frozen in small portions?
It will be good for up to three days in the fridge, although i have regularly used it when it's been refridgerated for up to five days.  A few others have kept it even longer :o  It freezes perfectly so a  take away is never far away with base in the freezer  ;D

Offline Prospero

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: June 15, 2014, 10:13 AM »
The reason I've held off so long in trying that recipe is because I'm not a coconut lover either and having read some replies in that thread, I'd cut the amount too (or could I miss it out altogether?).
IMHO coconut has no place in a base sauce, and I have proof that it's never been used in any of our favourite dishes from any of our favourite restaurants. How? Because my wife is allergic to it, and breaks out in a hot rash at the slightest exposure. This means she avoids curries like korma which explicitly include it, but it also means it must be absent from the base sauce where she has eaten other dishes without any problem.

If in doubt, leave it out  ;)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: June 15, 2014, 10:53 AM »
The thing is Prospero that we know from videos from real BIRs that coconut is used in some takeaways' base sauces. I recently made Alex's Glasgow base which has some in it and it's one of the best tasting bases I've ever made - the curries aren't great but the base is!  :-\

Offline Prospero

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: June 15, 2014, 12:51 PM »
Sure SS - I think many do use it successfully, but I was just making the point that it doesn't seem to be an essential ingredient, and it's perfectly possible to make excellent curries without it.

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: June 15, 2014, 01:14 PM »
If in doubt, leave it out  ;)

I agree. I can't see that coconut needs to be cooked for several hours in a base sauce, so doesn't it make more sense to add it when making the final curry, only if justified?

Recently, the best final curries I've made have been made using the worst tasting base sauce. Go figure!

©2024 Curry Recipes