Author Topic: New Base Gravy from visit to Saffron  (Read 337498 times)

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: New Base Gravy from vist to Saffron
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2008, 10:34 PM »
And when I tasted the finished product the chilli caught the back of my throat. In my opinion the base shouldn't have any chilli in it at all and the deggi mirch is pretty strong.

BTW, all this namby-pamby spooning off of the froth, what's that all that about? Taste it, it isn't in any way unpleasant. I just mix it back into the base and it makes no difference.

My oil didn't separate either and I know from experience that this is caused by the use of too much powdered spice. So knowing that, I spooned as much of the oil off as I could just before I blended it.

Maybe you're tasting the hot spiced oil at the top of the gravy. This will be hotter and spicier than the rest of the gravy.

I never mentioned the Namby Bamby removal of the froth ... I said skum ... this I hope was clarified in an earlier post.

Why you think this has too much spice I dont know. Besides the oil, the gravy actually lacks taste. The oil will rise to the surface if the sauce is thin enough (add a little more water).

Regards

SnS ;D

Offline ast

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2008, 10:49 PM »
From SS's comments, I did some checking on the Deggi Mirch Paprika.  According to this link here (http://www.theasiancookshop.co.uk/deggi-mirch-kashmiri-red-chilli-powder-blend-100g-by-mdh-859-p.asp) it classifies it as "mild-hot" (whatever that means).  Maybe that's the issue.  I don't think I have anything other than hot paprika in the house (and maybe not in that quantity, either now that I think about it), so I'm curious if it would be similar to this.

From the photos, Stew seems to have used regular paprika, but I think SnS's probably right about the oil pulling out most of whatever spice would be there.  Except for some that would stick to some of the small base bits, I'd think most of it would end up in suspension in the denser liquid.  I'd expect it would provide some flavor, but would then be mostly removed with the oil.  In doing the KD base, I've never, ever removed any oil from it, but given that this has over 4x as much oil, I'm guessing that I'll be wanting to remove it to somewhere safe. :)

SnS:  A couple of more questions if you don't mind (I'm typing this up so I can put it with the rest of my recipes for curry and anxious to try it ASAP):

• Q1:  You're always simmering uncovered when making the base, right?
  • Q2:  How much prawns/meat would you say you should add when making the madras?  I can guess based on other recipes, but I was just wondering what you'd recommend.

Cheers,

ast

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2008, 11:08 PM »
There is no doubt this base sauce is from a real takeaway

Great photos Stew!  Great sauce consistency you have in that final photo!  8)

I have known SnS for some considerable time now (over 48 years in fact!) and I can POSITIVELY GUARANTEE that, if SnS says its from a pucker, high quality BIR restaurant/takeway, then it most certainly is!

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2008, 11:11 PM »
has anyone spooned out the oil or do I just leave it in?
SLIPPERZ  ;D

You spoon it out and use it to make the finished curry with. I'm intrigued as to how you got it to separate though. There's no way if you keep to the suggested cooking times that you could get the oil to separate from the base.

I followed everything exactly and the oil just rose to the top of the sauce!!

I am a little confused as sns did not mention skimming off oil and using it for the curry itself?

I have not mentioned anything about scooping out the oil from the gravy.

If you want to get rid of any excess oil do it at the end of the second stage i.e. after you finish cooking your curry.

Obviously, if you are going to freeze the gravy, then it is best to stir the oil into the gravy before dividing it into portions.

Always use fresh oil when making the curry as per the recipe.

Regards

SnS ;D

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2008, 11:13 PM »
I think you said that they DO NOT use reclaimed oil at this restaurant SnS?  Or did you?

I think more oil will also rise to the surface the longer you cook it for.

I find a carrots add to the colour, sweetness, flavour and consistency SS.

Just a couple of questions please:

• what do you mean by "salad potatoes"?
  • so this is an exact half-scale version of what the restaurant does is it?  If so, have the cooking times also been varied accordingly?
  • A 3kW burner is not very powerful at all.  It's akin to a domestic hob.  Is this right do you think?  :-\

Thanks for your great efforts and great post  8)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 11:23 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2008, 11:24 PM »
From SS's comments, I did some checking on the Deggi Mirch Paprika.  According to this link here (http://www.theasiancookshop.co.uk/deggi-mirch-kashmiri-red-chilli-powder-blend-100g-by-mdh-859-p.asp) it classifies it as "mild-hot" (whatever that means).  Maybe that's the issue.  I don't think I have anything other than hot paprika in the house (and maybe not in that quantity, either now that I think about it), so I'm curious if it would be similar to this.

From the photos, Stew seems to have used regular paprika, but I think SnS's probably right about the oil pulling out most of whatever spice would be there.  Except for some that would stick to some of the small base bits, I'd think most of it would end up in suspension in the denser liquid.  I'd expect it would provide some flavor, but would then be mostly removed with the oil.  In doing the KD base, I've never, ever removed any oil from it, but given that this has over 4x as much oil, I'm guessing that I'll be wanting to remove it to somewhere safe. :)

SnS:  A couple of more questions if you don't mind (I'm typing this up so I can put it with the rest of my recipes for curry and anxious to try it ASAP):

• Q1:  You're always simmering uncovered when making the base, right?
  • Q2:  How much prawns/meat would you say you should add when making the madras?  I can guess based on other recipes, but I was just wondering what you'd recommend.

Cheers,

ast

1. Simmer the gravy uncovered for the first stage and then cover the pan for the second part.
2. The Saffron uses 9 king/Tiger prawns per serving, so a goood handful of meat or standard prawns would be about right.
Regards
SnS ;D

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2008, 11:29 PM »
The Saffron uses 9 king/Tiger prawns per serving, so a goood handful of meat or standard prawns would be about right.

Thems not King/Tiger Prawns (9 per serving!  :o), thems shrimps!...

....THESE are King Prawns: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,2217.msg18757.html#msg18757

Get 9 of THOSE per serving and you'd be laughing!  ;D  ;)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2008, 03:30 AM »
if SnS says its from a pucker, high quality BIR restaurant/takeway, then it most certainly is!

I don't think anyone would argue otherwise. However I have made it exactly as the recipe (less one carrot) and I'm not that impressed. However I still have to make the madras so I'll reserve final judgement until then.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2008, 10:50 AM »
Well I made the madras for breakfast. :)

I have to say I really didn't like it at all. It had a sour taste and that was after I added 2 tsp sugar to try to compensate. I found this strange as the base was subtly sweet so I can only think it was the tomato puree, I used tesco own brand.

I haven't made a curry that is so far removed from what I know as BIR style in a long time. It had a sort of rawness to it as if the spices had refused to be absorbed or something, difficult to describe really. As I mentioned the only thing I varied on was leaving out the carrot because I didn't have one to hand.

It had the semblance of patak curry from a jar. I added a couple of teaspoons of methi and half a teaspoon of tandoori masala and that brought it round a bit but it was still not too pleasant. And it completely lacked any garlic kick which I would associate with most curries but specially a madras.

All in all not a great success for me which makes me wonder how the others who have rated it highly actually came to that conclusion.

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2008, 10:53 AM »
That is strange as for me this is one of the best i have cooked.
I used garlic and ginger paste in the initial cooking process for my madras and it had that garlicy kick.

S

©2024 Curry Recipes