Author Topic: New Base Gravy from visit to Saffron  (Read 336024 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: New Base Gravy from vist to Saffron
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2008, 11:36 AM »
It had a sour taste and that was after I added 2 tsp sugar to try to compensate. I found this strange as the base was subtly sweet so I can only think it was the tomato puree...it had a sort of rawness to it as if the spices had refused to be absorbed or something

This sounds to me like a classic case of burning the garlic or spices when making your madras SS....or not cooking the spices sufficiently (given that the base was "subtly sweet")?

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2008, 11:54 AM »
This sounds to me like a classic case of burning the garlic or spices

Honestly CA do you think I would make such a rookie mistake? No, everything was well cooked out but not in any way burned. I didn't add any garlic or ginger at the frying stage because the recipe didn't say to do so (does it?) and I did think that was odd but I wanted to stay as faithful to the recipe as possible. I don't know, maybe this is what people want from a BIR curry but I find it hard to believe. I'll probably give it another go tomorrow and see if i can improve it.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2008, 12:03 PM »
Honestly CA do you think I would make such a rookie mistake?...I didn't add any garlic or ginger at the frying stage because the recipe didn't say to do so (does it?)

You're right SS, no garlic.  I admit it's not beyond me to burn the garlic (when there is some) and the spices though.  :P

I can't really think why you would end up with that sort of taste if you say the base was subtly sweet though? 

There's only really spices and tomato paste in it!  Plus half an onion of course...I've always found frying onions can make them bitter.

Strange as you say...doesn't leave much else though does it?  :-\

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2008, 01:31 PM »
Whoops i forgot to say i did not bother with the chopped onion when i made my madras, maybe that is the issue for you SS.

S

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2008, 03:53 PM »
SnS, I remember you saying after your invite Saffron, that your friend the manager said that an even better BIR result can be achieved without a base sauce. Have you heard any more about this and if not can you please find out next time you two are talking curry please? Thanks  :D 8)

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2008, 03:39 PM »
Sorry chaps - Item 1 is other way around. Typing error.

1. Simmer the gravy covered for the first stage (before blending) and then uncovered for part 2 (after adding tomatoes) and part 3 (after blending)

Regards

SnS ;D

Offline slipperz

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2008, 04:00 PM »
We had this Wednesday night and we are having it again tonight  ;D

Bloody lovely.

Bring it on  :P

SLIPPERZ  :)

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2008, 04:12 PM »
if SnS says its from a pucker, high quality BIR restaurant/takeway, then it most certainly is!

I don't think anyone would argue otherwise. However I have made it exactly as the recipe (less one carrot) and I'm not that impressed. However I still have to make the madras so I'll reserve final judgement until then.

Hi Secret Santa

Sorry you're not impressed - it sounds like you have done something very wrong.

If you had made the recipe EXACTLY then it would contain the carrot. Now why the carrot is important I have no idea, but if they (Saffron) use it in their recipe then it must have a part to play (otherwise they would also just leave it out). Surely you cannot expect to just leave bits out of a recipe and then wonder why it hasn't turned out as good as others have produced. Also did you use "salad" potatoes or any old potato (Saffron were very specific about this bit).

As far as the spices having a "rawness" I cannot understand that. Did you fry the Onions (and spices) in Fresh oil or did you use reclaimed oil from the gravy (as you have suggested in an earlier post)???

Did you fry the tomato puree or add it just after you added the gravy?

Hope the next one (with carrot) works out better for you.

Regards

SnS ;D

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2008, 04:15 PM »
We had this Wednesday night and we are having it again tonight  ;D

Bloody lovely.

Bring it on  :P

SLIPPERZ  :)

Nice to hear it matey. Perhaps you may let SS into your secret !!!! ;)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2008, 04:21 PM »
Hahaha, I bet you wish you put a carrot in there now SS! After all, one can't just go leaving out carrots can one? Oh well, you've been well warned for next time :D Take a leaf out of SnS' book! He always keeps his root vegetable supply well stocked up ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes