Author Topic: New Base Gravy from visit to Saffron  (Read 336032 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: New Base Gravy from vist to Saffron
« Reply #100 on: January 15, 2008, 08:15 PM »
...except with a camera phone, bad lighting and no talent ;-)

So pretty much the X-factor of curry making then?   ;)

Offline ast

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 15, 2008, 11:47 PM »
Ok.  I'm convinced.  This is pretty damn good...

Having discovered the operator error issue that resulted in the fairly odd-tasting madras on Sunday (where I used 400ml of base for the indicated spices vs. the correct amount of 200ml), I've since made two different attempts at a vindaloo (the last one on the way to developing a recipe that might eventually get posted).

Vindaloo using Saffron Base

No point in going into much of the detail; pictures are of a 20cm pan this time since there was less curry base.  I used the technique SnS posted for the Madras and didn't change anything else except the amount of chilli powder (4tsp of hot).  The results were very, very good, and I've put to rest any of my earlier reservations about the base.

Having done this a couple of times now, the places that make vindaloo like I prefer must also start with the onion.  It gives the finished curry that added bit of depth and texture that I'd been missing so far.  There's still a bit of fullness missing that I'm working on, but I've a few ideas that I'll be trying to see what happens.  At least I've plenty of base since the final curry recipe is geared for individual portions. :)

I'm also confident enough with it that I'll be making curry for 9 next weekend using this base.  I may yet tweak the final curry technique a bit to see what difference that makes, but I know now that I've got something that will give solid results and leave empty plates on Sunday.

Many apologies for my earlier reservations about the base.  Next time, I'll triple-check the recipe when I'm retyping it into my recipe collection!

Cheers,

ast

BTW, using the Evian bottles makes everything much, much handier.  Until it lets me down, I think this is my container of choice for easy base management (and the price is certainly right too... ;)).

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 16, 2008, 04:20 AM »
That last picture is of you thumbing a lift to a real curry house then? Most definitely done that!

Offline ast

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 16, 2008, 07:45 AM »
That last picture is of you thumbing a lift to a real curry house then? Most definitely done that!

Nah... from here, I have to take the train! ;)

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 16, 2008, 06:33 PM »
Hi Ast

Great post Ast. Pleased the final Vindaloo eventually turned out okay.

Bigger pot next time eh ?? (one with a plimsoll line)

Regards

SnS  ;D

Offline ast

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 16, 2008, 07:13 PM »

I'm sure there's a joke there that I'm just not getting.  What's plimsoll?  Google's giving me odd answers...

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 16, 2008, 07:17 PM »

I'm sure there's a joke there that I'm just not getting.  What's plimsoll?  Google's giving me odd answers...

HaHaHa. As in plimsoll line (on the inside of your cooking pot) !

Might stop you adding water until the "floating" veg is covered  ;D

Offline ast

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2008, 07:27 PM »

HaHaHa. As in plimsoll line (on the inside of your cooking pot) !

Might stop you adding water until the "floating" veg is covered  ;D

Now why couldn't you have just said "waterline" ???  Damn posh technical jargon..... ;D

Why yes, now that you mention it, that would be quite handy!

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2008, 07:36 PM »
Now why couldn't you have just said "waterline" ???  Damn posh technical jargon..... ;D
Why yes, now that you mention it, that would be quite handy!

I'm ex-Royal Navy Ast ! (no jokes about sailors please).

When I get round to "trimming up" the "final" recipe I think the amount of water added to the veg will be a measured volume.

BTW, as far as I'm aware, tomato puree comes in three strengths (?), I wonder how much each of these strengths affects the final curry taste. Which did you use for your vindaloo?

Regards

SnS  ;D

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2008, 08:06 PM »
I have got a feeling that deghi mirch is Kashmiri chilli powder.  It is mild in capsican heat with an aromatic flavour and is bred purely for colour and flavour.  A friend of a friend bought me some back from India and it is very mild and has that smokey aromatic flavour.  CQ

©2024 Curry Recipes