Author Topic: New Base Gravy from visit to Saffron  (Read 336001 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: New Base Gravy from vist to Saffron
« Reply #130 on: January 18, 2008, 11:09 PM »
I am going back to ifindforu's base.

As you know, EHC, I also have a high regard for Infindforu's (Terry's) "A Good Curry Base", though some people clealy disagree with us there too! :P.

Secret Santa, can I ask you which curry base you normally use please?  If it's your own, which is closest to it and can you please post your recipe so that we can try it?  Thanks  8)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 18, 2008, 11:56 PM »
Looking good this has to be the next base I try now, great photos  ;)

Have you got around to trying it yet CK?  If so, what's your opinion please?  :-\

Offline ast

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 19, 2008, 12:14 AM »
I'll go lurk for a while. ;)

You're probably joking, but don't do that AST.  You've made some great and interesting posts to date; please continue to do so!  :P

Yep. ;)  Thanks for the feedback though.  In this case, "lurking" involved painting, putting up wallpaper, replacing outlet boxes and filling in dents in plaster.

I would appreciate someone posting on this thread an accurate Madras recipe suitable for 200 ml of this particular gravy ... anyone up for it?

SnS, I'll be happy to post where I end up with what I'm doing now, but it isn't quite ready yet (going a bit backwards with the last try, unfortunately).  Like you, I took onboard Jeera's comments, but I haven't yet added any garam masala. It'll probably be next week before I get back to the laboratory. :(

Of course, I suppose the key word here is "accurate"... ;D

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 19, 2008, 12:20 AM »
SnS, I'll be happy to post where I end up with what I'm doing now, but it isn't quite ready yet (going a bit backwards with the last try, unfortunately).  Like you, I took onboard Jeera's comments, but I haven't yet added any garam masala. It'll probably be next week before I get back to the laboratory. :(

Of course, I suppose the key word here is "accurate"... ;D

Look forward to seeing the results from the lab Ast (and some more sooperdoopa pics).

SnS  ;D

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 19, 2008, 12:44 AM »
Haldi,

You are my hero, i love these reports.
It just sounds so simple, no panic no fuss, just lovely curry everytime.

I am trying this one tonight using the safron base.

S

Hi Stew

Just wondered how you got on with Haldi's Veg Rezala the other night ?

SnS  ;D

Offline extrahotchillie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 19, 2008, 05:15 AM »
Keep up the good work AST

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 19, 2008, 11:37 AM »
Ahh, I see. Would have been nice if you'd made that clear in your original post. One followed on from the other so it was a natural assumption that the madras recipe was from the restaurant too. So not only was I the guinea pig for the base as originally posted but I was misled into thinking the madras was a kosher restaurant recipe. Any other hidden gems that I should be aware of before I have another bash at it?  :)

I think SnS made it quite clear that his visit was primarily to learn about making their curry base SS.  That's probably why he entitled his thread "New Base Gravy from vist to Saffron" don't you think?

It seems hardly fair to blame SnS (or anyone else) for any other assumptions you may have made.  Any other assumptions were probably of your own making, whether you considered them "natural" or not.

I don't think anyone asked you to "be a guinea pig" either SS.  Nor do I think it was anyone's intention to "mislead" you. 

Perhaps you could consider expressing yourself a little more positively and constructively SS?  Before you discourage (I was going to swear but thought better of it) everyone else from posting their recipes?

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 19, 2008, 11:49 AM »
Secret Santa, can I ask you which curry base you normally use please?

I don't have one. I stumble from one base to the next hoping that this will be the one that makes the difference. One thing I will say is that along the way I've pretty much come to the conclusion that there is no right base because I can make any one into a decent BIR style curry. It does bring me back to the "can you mix and match bases and curry recipes" question though, and I'm absolutely certain from experience that you can't.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 19, 2008, 11:52 AM »
I'm absolutely certain from experience that you can't.

Thanks for clarifying SS.

It seems that your "absolutely certain" about many things!  I find it quite surprising that you're not able to provide more enlightening answers in which case.  ;)

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 19, 2008, 12:28 PM »
One thing I will say is that along the way I've pretty much come to the conclusion that there is no right base because I can make any one into a decent BIR style curry.

Incredible ! :o

Is this the "SECRET" .... as in "SECRET SANTA" then ? :)

Let me know how to do this please, and I too will use "any" gravy base. ;)

Regards

SnS  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes