Author Topic: New Base Gravy from visit to Saffron  (Read 336046 times)

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: New Base Gravy from vist to Saffron
« Reply #150 on: January 22, 2008, 11:45 PM »
I bought the amchoor (I've seen at least 7 different spellings of this, btw) for another recipe, but it doesn't use that much.  The only pack they had was large enough that I'm trying to work out what else I can do with it so I can use it before the BBE date.  From reading about it and its taste characteristics, I thought it might be an interesting taste with the prawns.  On its own, it isn't bad, but only in small-ish quantities.  I haven't actually used it yet, though.

I went to a newly opened restaurant (Mughal Empire, Broad Street)) last week in Barry, near Cardiff. Amongst other dishes, we had a side dish of Saag Aloo. Now I don't know what the chef sprinkled on the top of the spinach but the taste was something else (a sort of mild fruity taste, not sweet but not bitter). I asked the waiter to find out what it was, but no luck. I did wonder at the time whether this may have been Amchur (another spelling).

Does anyone here have experience using ambchoor (amchoor, amchur or MANGO POWDER) regularly in curries? How is it used, how long does it keep, what is it normally used with and how does it affect taste?

Regards

SnS  ;D

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 23, 2008, 04:32 AM »
think Robin Williams in Good Morning Vietnam

So like Mork only without the naiive charm?

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 23, 2008, 04:37 AM »
Still, I've never personally noticed much of a sour taste in my vindaloo.

Me either. It seriously winds me up when ppl put lemon or vinegar etc. into a vindaloo. I have never ever ever had a sour vindaloo. What part of the country is this normal in for god's sake?

Ohh..I take this curry lark far too seriously :)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 23, 2008, 04:40 AM »
smokenspices amchur is sour. Sour ya hear! When you get your pack of it dab your finger in and taste it...it's lovely but it's sour not sweet.

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 23, 2008, 10:58 AM »
smokenspices amchur is sour. Sour ya hear! When you get your pack of it dab your finger in and taste it...it's lovely but it's sour not sweet.

Yeh you're right SS, amchoor is used as a souring agent (instead of lemon juice). I was confusing amchoor with anardana which imparts a both sweet and sour taste and is often used by chefs in preference to amchoor.

Regards

SnS ;D

ps: Now I'm wondering whether it was anardana that they sprinkled over the Saag Aloo that gave it that special taste ?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 05:35 PM by smokenspices »

Offline Jethro

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 23, 2008, 06:28 PM »

Me either. It seriously winds me up when ppl put lemon or vinegar etc. into a vindaloo. I have never ever ever had a sour vindaloo. What part of the country is this normal in for god's sake?

Vindaloo traditionally uses pork and comes from Goa, Goa is a an ex Portuguese colony, Portuguese pork recipes include a lot of dishes with a vinegar base.
http://www.portuguese-recipes.com/Pork%20Recipes.htm
An authentic Goan vindaloo recipe will use vinegar instead of water, some Birs (very few) try and keep the close to original taste rather than just upping the heat content of a madras style curry.
Thats why :)

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 23, 2008, 06:57 PM »
You add lemon juice and sugar to make a pathia/patia.  I usually use 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice to 2 tablespoons of sugar, it all depends on you personal taste as to how much of each ingredient you use.  CQ

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 23, 2008, 08:01 PM »
You add lemon juice and sugar to make a pathia/patia.  I usually use 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice to 2 tablespoons of sugar, it all depends on you personal taste as to how much of each ingredient you use.  CQ

Hi CQ

I believe this is your husband's favourite. Do you have a Pathia recipe using the Saffron base gravy (or a similar base) please?

Thanks

Regards

SnS  ;D

ps The stuff sprinkled on top of the Saag Aloo in Barry, Cardiff was Anardana (I've just had a takeaway and sprinkled some on top (which I got from Tescos on way home) - same sweet/sour fruity taste - mmmm loverrly).

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 23, 2008, 08:07 PM »

Vindaloo traditionally uses pork and comes from Goa, Goa is a an ex Portuguese colony, Portuguese pork recipes include a lot of dishes with a vinegar base.
http://www.portuguese-recipes.com/Pork%20Recipes.htm
An authentic Goan vindaloo recipe will use vinegar instead of water, some Birs (very few) try and keep the close to original taste rather than just upping the heat content of a madras style curry.
Thats why :)

....... didn't a hotter version of Madras, without the vinegar, used to be called a TINDALOO?

Offline Rai

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 23, 2008, 10:39 PM »
vindaloo = tindaloo = bindaloo as far I could ever tell, just different names for the same thing?

©2024 Curry Recipes