Author Topic: New Base Gravy from visit to Saffron  (Read 336059 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: New Base Gravy from vist to Saffron
« Reply #160 on: January 24, 2008, 11:43 AM »
Vindaloo traditionally uses pork

Absolutely correct, except you forgot to mention that it uses a very fatty pork, and the authentic Goan vindaloo uses vinegar to cut through this fat as it cooks over a very long time. The result is a dish which is NOT vinegary or sour in taste. So it seems the  BIRs you mention that are trying to keep to the authentic original have never been within a mile of Goa or the authentic vindaloo. And despite my efforts to actaullly find a BIR that makes a vinegary or sour vindaloo, I never have (although I consider that a good thing really).

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 24, 2008, 12:02 PM »
Goan vindaloo uses vinegar to cut through this fat as it cooks over a very long time

Errr...what does "cut through the fat" mean please SS?  Is it a technical term?  :-\

My understanding is that a typical BIR vindaloo is hot and sour - made sour using a souring agent such as vinegar, lemon juice or tamarind....

....though I do agree that many BIRs just take a madras, and add more chilli to make a vindaloo, and more chilli again to make a phal.

I think we should anyway remember, that most BIR dishes are a Western fabrication, bearing only a minimal, if any, resemblance to traditional Indian fare.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 12:19 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 24, 2008, 04:55 PM »
I made the base paying 100 percent attention to detail. Delicious. I took pictures but can't seem to upload them! :o

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 24, 2008, 05:02 PM »
I took pictures but can't seem to upload them! :o

There is an issue with pictures at the moment Cory noticed it earlier today and Stew is on the case.

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 24, 2008, 05:59 PM »
Hi Smokenspices,

I will post the gravy that I use most of the time which replicates a good finished curry and also the recipe that I use, either later this evening when I have more time or tomorrow.  CQ

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 25, 2008, 08:19 AM »
Hi Smokenspices,

I will post the gravy that I use most of the time which replicates a good finished curry and also the recipe that I use, either later this evening when I have more time or tomorrow.  CQ
Thanks CQ, I always look forward to your posts

Offline ast

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 25, 2008, 10:08 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Wanted to provide a quick update on the freezing issue.  I confirmed last night that if you want to get the best results from the frozen Saffron base, it is essential that you bring it to the boil again and let it simmer on medium heat for about 10-15 min.

I did this last night with the last 1.2L that I had in the freezer after having disappointing results with the last few curries getting too dry before the oil really started separating.  After boiling, I did have a fresh layer of scum on top of the oil that must be scraped off, but the oil was then stirred back into the base and it looked roughly the same as it did when it was initially made.

Making curries with the re-boiled base went much more like it did with the fresh base as well.  I won't say that it was 100% the same, but I think it was at least in the 90-95% range.  The curries tasted better and more of the oil came out of the base the way it should too.

I suggest that the updated recipe also include this information as a note for using the base after it's been frozen so people can get the best possible results.  Also, does anyone have any idea approximately how long a re-boiled base would keep in the fridge?  That information may also be a useful addition to the final recipe.

Hope this helps,

ast

P.S.  Here's a picture of the base after it was re-boiled and cooling with the scum removed.  Note:  the scum covered nearly the entire surface of the oil, so make sure you get it all without removing too much of the oil in the process.

I did this before our guests arrived, so I didn't have a chance to take any pictures of the finished curries.  However, they looked much more like they were supposed to and seemed to taste the part. I'll post more about this separately.

Resurrected Saffron Base

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 25, 2008, 10:21 AM »
Hi AST,

The "conventional wisdom" seems to be that the curry base, once frozen, should be defrosted, re-blended and reheated, prior to reuse, to preseserve something like it's original texture and consistency.

I generally just reheat it and I find it's ok.

BIRs don't freeze their curry bases of course.

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 25, 2008, 10:56 AM »
The "conventional wisdom" seems to be that the curry base, once frozen, should be defrosted, re-blended and reheated, prior to reuse, to preseserve something like it's original texture and consistency.

Hi CA

I don't think Ast re-blended it. Just reheated to get the oil to separate again.

I had the same problem. After freeezing, the oil tends to be more reluctant to separate again in the final curry.

Of course this would not be a problem for those who prefer to remove the oil before freezing the gravy.

Regards

SnS  ;D

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 25, 2008, 11:03 AM »
Yes, I understand that SnS  :)

But defrosting, reblending AND reheating is the conventional wisdom to preserve the....oh hell, I'm just repeating myself.... ;D

I also just defrost and reheat and I find it fine..oh, I think I mentioned that too...bum.. :P

©2024 Curry Recipes