Author Topic: New Base Gravy from visit to Saffron  (Read 336124 times)

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: New Base Gravy from vist to Saffron
« Reply #190 on: January 27, 2008, 04:00 PM »
made this base last night. Forgot to add potato :-[ really pleased with the results. made a dhansak. best yet. Cheers for the info sns  ;)

Hi Marc

Glad you're pleased with the results Marc.

The potatoes give a little more "body" to the gravy but I'm not sure how omitting them would affect the final outcome (as far as taste etc). Chefs at Saffron were quite specific about the potatoes they prefer to use ... salad type (Charlotte). These are the common stock "salad spuds" and most supermarkets sell them.

Regards

SnS  ;D

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 29, 2008, 12:44 PM »
Now that photo uploading is sorted, here my pictures of the base at the three main stages.

This is my favourite base to date.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 29, 2008, 12:55 PM »
You've certainly got the oil to separate nicely there Bobby  8)

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 29, 2008, 12:58 PM »
Now that photo uploading is sorted, here my pictures of the base at the three main stages.

This is my favourite base to date.

Hi Bobby

Great pics Bobby.

I assume photo 3 is with gravy "at rest" (oil has completely risen to surface).

In Photo 2 the oil has started to separate with some froth, but is this still during the simmering stage (ie did the oil separate easily during simmering?). Did you have to remove any "scum"?

Regards

SnS  ;D

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 29, 2008, 01:09 PM »
I assume photo 3 is with gravy "at rest" (oil has completely risen to surface).
That's right SnS, if you look at the times on the images, you will see that it has been left for a couple of hours or so.
In Photo 2 the oil has started to separate with some froth, but is this still during the simmering stage (ie did the oil separate easily during simmering?).
Right again, this is during the simmering stage and the oil did begin to separate with ease.
Did you have to remove any "scum"?
Yes, lots 8) I even got the tiny scum remminants that I couldn't get with spoon with some kitchen roll before taking photo 3 ::) Well you have to make it presentable ;D

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: January 29, 2008, 01:27 PM »
Did you have to remove any "scum"?
Yes, lots 8) I even got the tiny scum remminants that I couldn't get with spoon with some kitchen roll before taking photo 3 ::) Well you have to make it presentable ;D

Only reason I asked this Bobby is that some are confusing the froth with scum and so they end up removing too much oil/gravy mix. The froth can be stirred back into the gravy but the scum (like that thin layer of mucus you get on a cold cup of tea) should be remove as it can add bitterness to the gravy.

Cheers

SnS  :D

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 29, 2008, 02:00 PM »
scum (like that thin layer of mucus you get on a cold cup of tea) should be remove as it can add bitterness to the gravy.
Ah, I see. Well I removed some froth as well but not much. I had the recipe printed off so I stirred what I could back in but the re-offending froth just had to go :P
Now that you mention it though, I can see that membrane forming on edges in picture 2. Oh well, we'll know for next time!

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 29, 2008, 02:47 PM »
Great looking pics again Bobby, I might have missed a post or two in the thread but have you made a curry with the base yet?

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 29, 2008, 03:06 PM »
Great looking pics again Bobby
Cheers mate ;D
I might have missed a post or two in the thread but have you made a curry with the base yet?
Yes, I made the Madras and it was great. I put so much chili in it I could barely eat it. I struggled but got it down, only to awake in the night and throw it back up lol. I think my stomach rejected that level of spice as toxic. Or, it could have been because I made it at 01:30 in the morning while totally p***d. Here it is - the curry from hell! (the weird dark green bits are a result of my frozen fresh coriander technique 8)) I didn't have any onions left because one of them I bought was bad, so in this curry the onion was omitted.

I have since made another curry (with a little less chili ;)) and it was fab. Just one of my own recipes but the base really accommodated it well.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 03:38 PM by Bobby Bhuna »

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 29, 2008, 03:48 PM »
I know your pain when it comes to a p :-X ed up late night curry, I came home from the pub once and the take aways where all shut, you can imagine what happens next!  I pulled a tub of sauce out and in my drunk state managed to cook up curried pork rashers , I didn't have any fresh garlic puree so just used extra ginger to compensate, not a good idea, I can't quite remember what else I put in it but seeing it in the frying pan the following morning was almost as bad as eating it  :)

Yours looks almost pro except for the one big lump of coriander, not bad for a drunken curry, I would eat it  :P
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 05:09 PM by Curry King »

©2024 Curry Recipes