Author Topic: New Base Gravy from visit to Saffron  (Read 336019 times)

Offline ast

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: New Base Gravy from vist to Saffron
« Reply #200 on: January 29, 2008, 03:57 PM »
Bobby, was the "madras of death" also made with the original massive amounts of paprika in the base recipe?  That might've contributed some to your plight too...

Curried pork rashers, CK?  :o  You were desperate! ;D

I'm sure there'll be a drunken curry in my future too, but I have thus-far managed to avoid it somehow.

Curry on, Wayne! ;D

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 29, 2008, 05:52 PM »
Bobby, was the "madras of death" also made with the original massive amounts of paprika in the base recipe?  That might've contributed some to your plight too...
No, I can't say the volume of Paprika was too high, I would have remembered. I assume from what you say a mistake was posted in the recipe that was later rectified?
Curry on, Wayne! ;D
Curry on Ast! ;)
not bad for a drunken curry, I would eat it  :P
You really shouldn't! That's the hottest curry I've ever been near. When I was wretching it back up a few hours later it made my eyes sting. That really was a case of better out than in 8)

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 29, 2008, 06:40 PM »
No, I can't say the volume of Paprika was too high, I would have remembered. I assume from what you say a mistake was posted in the recipe that was later rectified?

Yes Bobby. My original post for this recipe called for 25 grams of each of the main spices (including paprika). This should have been 25 ml (5 tsp).

The original posted Saffron Gravy recipe (6th Jan) was actually corrected some time ago (12th Jan) to avoid further mistakes being made by overspicing the gravy.

I made a comment regarding this here   http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,2271.70.html

I will be making another batch of the Saffron base during the next week or so and I will be posting another more detailed recipe, with photos, on this thread.

Regards

SnS  ;D

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 29, 2008, 07:51 PM »
I even got the tiny scum remminants that I couldn't get with spoon...

What is it with you people and scum?  Do you think there's this repugnant scum molecule hidden in every foodstuff that magically rises to the surface when boiled? The scum is totally inoffensive, if you don't believe me the next time you make a base leave all that horrible scum in and then tell me that it made a difference when you came to make your curry. It's namby-pambyism of the highest order.

Secret Santa, head of SLL (Scum Liberation League)

Offline ast

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 29, 2008, 09:10 PM »
Yes Bobby. My original post for this recipe called for 25 grams of each of the main spices (including paprika). This should have been 25 ml (5 tsp).

Sorry SnS, I wasn't trying to wind you up about this.  I was just curious, but I guess the "beer goggles" kept saying "What's wrong, chilli-boy?  Ain't got the chops for another teensy-weensy teaspoon of some of that super-hot-death chilli powder??  You some kind of wimp??"

... or perhaps something to that effect... ;D

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 29, 2008, 09:22 PM »
What is it with you people and scum?  Do you think there's this repugnant scum molecule hidden in every foodstuff that magically rises to the surface when boiled? The scum is totally inoffensive, if you don't believe me the next time you make a base leave all that horrible scum in and then tell me that it made a difference when you came to make your curry. It's namby-pambyism of the highest order.

If the Head Chef at the Saffron emphasised the importance of removing the scum (which comes from the onions), I think I'd rather believe him than the Head of the Scum Liberation League.

There are also similar instructions in the making of the KD base.

This has nothing to do with Namby Pamby stuff.

From your previous comments on this base Secret Santa ...

I don't need to make this to know it will not produce what I need from a BIR curry. So where the heck am I going wrong?

and

Other than that this base has a very unpleasant smell ...

and

I have to say I really didn't like it at all. It had a sour taste and that was after I added 2 tsp sugar to try to compensate ....

Perhaps you'd better resign from the SLL and join us at FAGS (Federation Against Gravy Scum). Us namby pamby's don't appear to be experiencing any of your problems. ;)

SnS  ;D

ps: SS - look up the definition of scum !

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 29, 2008, 09:52 PM »
Oh now come on SnS!

You've quoted from my remarks about the original base you posted and you know it, very unfair (although I hold to those views).

the importance of removing the scum (which comes from the onions)

prove it.

Perhaps you'd better resign from the SLL and join us at FAGS

I don't know whether to laugh or gird my loins (lamb loins of course)

ps: SS - look up the definition of scum

why would I look it up? I happen to speak English!

(To you , to me, to you...)

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 29, 2008, 10:14 PM »
the importance of removing the scum (which comes from the onions)

prove it.

Next time you make a curry base gravy SS, leave out the onions and you'll soon see there is no scum. This implies therefore that the scum originates from the onions.

Perhaps you'd better resign from the SLL and join us at FAGS

I don't know whether to laugh or gird my loins (lamb loins of course)

Have a laugh. It's generally accepted that laughing uses less muscles than that other thing you've suggested.

ps: SS - look up the definition of scum

why would I look it up? I happen to speak English!

SCUM (definition from Collins English Dictionary)
A layer of impure matter that forms on the surface of a liquid, often as the result of boiling or fermentation.

;D

ps: Let me know how the new Secret Santa "onionless" curry base gravy turns out !  ;)

Offline Jethro

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 29, 2008, 10:29 PM »
I even got the tiny scum remminants that I couldn't get with spoon...

*Sighs*
Sorry to disagree with you again SS but that scum on the top contains all sorts of stuff that you would not know about.

Let me give you a little insight, if a pub served you a pint of bitter without a head on it, therefore robbing it of it's refeshing bitter flavour (in this case isohumulones are the reason), you would not be happy.
Same thing works in reverse, leave the scum on an onion base gravy and you will get an unwanted bitter taste (same with lentils btw).
I admit I do not know the chemical compound involved in this case, but I take it on trust that generations of BIR chefs, who advocate taking the scum off, cannot all be wrong, unless you know better?.
So yes it does make a difference IMHO.  ;)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 29, 2008, 10:50 PM »
but I take it on trust that generations of BIR chefs, who advocate taking the scum off, cannot all be wrong, unless you know better?.

Well yes I do know better, and do you know why? Let me tell you, when I make a statement it is because I have actually tried it. I have made a base that always produces scum (twice at the same time) and in one I skimmed and in another I did not. I used both bases in a curry with (as near as I could manage) exactly the same ingredients and same cooking procedure.

Result. Bugger all difference in the final curry.

The reason I am so adamant about the things I say is because I have actually pseudo- scientifically tried them.

Can you or anyone else say the same?

So Jethro in your "humblle opinion" can you say you do like wise?

©2024 Curry Recipes