Author Topic: New Base Gravy from visit to Saffron  (Read 336135 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: New Base Gravy from vist to Saffron
« Reply #210 on: January 29, 2008, 10:55 PM »
SCUM (definition from Collins English Dictionary)
A layer of impure matter that forms on the surface of a liquid, often as the result of boiling or fermentation.

Once again I ask, why would I look it up, I am English? I'm clearly missing the point here, aren't I?

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 29, 2008, 11:12 PM »
Now then Chaps (and any Chapesses here on this thread tonight) ...

The Saffron Base Gravy recipe  does  require the scum to be removed, but not the froth, which can be stirred into the gravy.
Please feel free to leave it in if you so desire - I personally don't care!  :-\

If you do want a cross between a curry gravy and a pint of bitter, then please don't complain about the gravy being bitter.

In my humble opinion, it is better and safer to remove it. There is no benefit (that I know of) in leaving it in and it's removal takes all of 5 seconds.

SnS  ;D

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 29, 2008, 11:53 PM »
SCUM (definition from Collins English Dictionary)
A layer of impure matter that forms on the surface of a liquid, often as the result of boiling or fermentation.

Once again I ask, why would I look it up, I am English? I'm clearly missing the point here, aren't I?

What it means my friend is that once you start breaking into the molecular structure of an onion there are certain chemical reactions that take place and they in turn can create acids particularly when mixed with water (H2SO4) (that's is why your eyes sting when peeling an onion - chemical release). Some of these chemical "impurities" will rise to the surface during boiling which should then be removed.

SnS  :o

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 30, 2008, 12:00 AM »
I can understand and appreciate what you're saying here SS, but if that's what the chef does, because he says it otherwise causes bitterness in the curry base, then surely that is what we should do IF we want to faithfully reproduce his curry base.

Like you, I also like to understand the rationale and reasoning for these things.  But often, of course, the chefs don't know (they are not food scientists, after all - they probably couldn't take the pay cut! :P); they just do it based on their learning and experience.  

In this case I can understand that it is undoubtedly an accumulation of chemicals and "impurities" created during the boiling process.  Has anyone actually tasted the scum to see if it is actually bitter?  :P

However, if you or I chose to ignore this advice (which we are obviously entitled to do) we can hardly then complain that the curry base is bitter (or sour) can we?  :P

As SnS says, at best, leaving it in will make no difference (as you believe) and, at worst, leaving it win will cause bitterness (as the chef says)....so why not spend a couple of minutes skimming it off, as the chef advises?  Sounds like a no-boner to me SS?  ;)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 30, 2008, 12:01 AM »
Oh sweeet jesus and haleluliah. We have a chemist on here at last. Would you care to enlighten us SnS as to how this H2SO4 gets produced? Perhaps a breakdown of the transition states that accompany this process. I'm all ears , really I am.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 30, 2008, 12:03 AM »
Has anyone actually tasted the scum to see if it is actually bitter?  :P

CA you really really really need to read what people post, really you do!

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 30, 2008, 12:07 AM »
Oh sweeet jesus and haleluliah. We have a chemist on here at last. Would you care to enlighten us SnS as to how this H2SO4 gets produced? Perhaps a breakdown of the transition states that accompany this process. I'm all ears , really I am.

When I went to school (1970's) sulphur SO3 + water H2O = sulphuric acid H2SO4

Onions release sulphur when the molecules are ruptured.

Not rocket science (as they say SS)

;D

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 30, 2008, 12:12 AM »
CA you really really really need to read what people post, really you do!

Now, now SS...I do and I did..and nowhere (that I could see) did you say that you TASTED THE ACTUAL SCUM!?   :-\

Anyhow, to me there are two aspects to this "debate":

• 1.  Doing as THE CHEF does, for HIS base, because we are trying to replicate HIS base...and HE removes the scum
  • 2.  Debating the general technicalities and benefits (or not) of removing the scum in principle

It seems to me that most people are focused on the former, whilst you seem to be focused on the latter.  

Maybe the latter should be in a separate thread entiled "The Mythical Benefits of Skimming the Scum Off Bases" or some such title?  ;)

As far as this thread goes, I'd be inclined to do as the chef does if we wish to faithfully reproduce and comment upon HIS recipe.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 30, 2008, 12:23 AM »
As far as this thread goes, I'd be inclined to do as the chef does if we wish to faithfully reproduce and comment upon HIS recipe.

How can I argue with that? But of course in the same vein you will now stop arguing about the reasons behind including a brand name curry powder in the Madras/generic base thread. You will stop arguing because nearly every mix powder that actual BIRs use include curry powder, and that's what the BIR chefs do. OK?

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 30, 2008, 01:29 AM »
But of course in the same vein you will now stop arguing about the reasons behind including a brand name curry powder in the Madras/generic base thread

Not at all SS!  How DID I know you were going to come back with that little red herring!  ::)  ;D

This thread is about a SPECIFIC curry base from a SPECIFIC chef in a SPECIFIC restaurant.  The chef SPECIFICALLY says to remove the scum, so we should SURELY remove the scum IF we wish to make HIS curry base the way HE makes it.  It's really rather obvious, SS, I should think?  :-\

The Curry Base DEVELOPMENT thread is altogether different and not really a matter for discussion in THIS thread.

©2024 Curry Recipes