Author Topic: New Base Gravy from visit to Saffron  (Read 337618 times)

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: New Base Gravy from vist to Saffron
« Reply #220 on: January 30, 2008, 01:40 AM »
I've got to second that.

SnS  ;D

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 30, 2008, 01:59 AM »
You know when I started out with the Chuckle Brothers' joke? Well apparently it isn't so much a joke as reality. Do I need to say more ::)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 30, 2008, 02:04 AM »
Do I need to say more ::)

No, you don't SS....but I'm sure you won't let that stop you...you don't usually!  ;)

SnS?...Any comments from you?...Chuckles perhaps?  ;)

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 30, 2008, 02:09 AM »
You know when I started out with the Chuckle Brothers' joke? Well apparently it isn't so much a joke as reality. Do I need to say more ::)

Not quite sure what angle you're coming from there SS. Can it really be that there are two members who dare to disagree with you or is that you need some urgent assistance?

Only light hearted banter of course. Chin up me old mucker!  ;)

After all we're all on the same side.

SnS  ;D

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 30, 2008, 02:44 AM »
The chef SPECIFICALLY says to remove the scum, so we should SURELY remove the scum IF we wish to make HIS curry base the way HE makes it.

I have an aunt who insists that the only way to make genuine felt is to wade up to your knees in edited by CA for inappropriate language, while bare legged you grind those sheep fibres into submission. The effectiveness of the method is indisputable being a traditional method going back to the 1400's at least, but you know what, I can make felt without the edited by CA for inappropriate language, and without the mind numbing drudgery of stomping it for hour upon hour.

There is no argument here, the scum is innocuous (ok in some limited circumstances it may not be) but in general it is an insignificant factor.

If you wish to promote the fiction that it makes a bit of difference to the finshed curry then so be it, but I suggest you ply your trade in that other well known forum where "if you say it's so, then it's so".
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 05:38 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: January 30, 2008, 02:50 AM »
Can it really be that there are two members who dare to disagree with you...

Only two? I must be slipping up somewhere then. :)

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 30, 2008, 03:30 AM »
The chef SPECIFICALLY says to remove the scum, so we should SURELY remove the scum IF we wish to make HIS curry base the way HE makes it.

I have an aunt who insists that the only way to make genuine felt is to wade up to your knees in stale piss, while bare legged you grind those sheep fibres into submission. The effectiveness of the method is indisputable being a traditional method going back to the 1400's at least, but you know what, I can make felt without the stale piss, and without the mind numbing drudgery of stomping it for hour upon hour.

There is no argument here, the scum is innocuous (ok in some limited circumstances it may not be) but in general it is an insignificant factor.

If you wish to promote the fiction that it makes a bit of difference to the finshed curry then so be it, but I suggest you ply your trade in that other well known forum where "if you say it's so, then it's so".

God bless your Aunt (and I'm not taking the Pxss). She is probably right and she will argue with you until the cow's (sheep) come home.

The fact of the matter is this:-

If you take the time to investigate recipe's, especially when making stocks and soups, you will find that Chef's throughout the world do recommend that you remove the scum from the surface, particularly if using onions. This includes BIR chefs, European Chefs, Australian Chefs, Asian Chefs, African Chefs and even American Chefs (yeh , even American Chefs..)

Please do not think that the "Chuckle Bros" are ganging up against you, as this is not true. I know that CA thinks very differently to me and he would not support anything I say without sincere consideration of the facts (and vikky verky). Unfortunately, it is a fact, that as Brothers we rarely agree on anything (I often wish this wasn't the case !).

This is NOT fiction. It is FACT.

Please lighten up, as I'm sure your comments are appreciated (and expected) by most members.

Best regards

SnS  ;D
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 03:47 AM by smokenspices »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 30, 2008, 05:44 AM »
Only two? I must be slipping up somewhere then. :)

True, SS, that's what I also thought  ;)

I have an aunt who insists....

But if she does that, and insists it right, and you try and replicate what she's doing, and it's not right (e.g. it's "sour"), then I suggest your best bet is to try and do as she does (and as she insists on doing) to try and replicate her results!  :P

If you wish to promote the fiction that it makes a bit of difference to the finshed curry then so be it

Why do you insist on missing the point SS?  I'm not trying to promote that at all.  I would probably agree that it's unlikely to make a significant difference.  But my point is that if you get a different result, then why not try doing what the chef suggests and see how it pans out?  ::)

I will be sorely tempted to delete these posts (mine included) if it continues in such a senseless fashion (if someone doesn't beat me to it!).

It is, however, a worthy debate probably worthy of an independent thread.  Why don't you consider starting a new thread on the matter SS?

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 30, 2008, 11:41 AM »
Yes, lots 8) I even got the tiny scum remminants that I couldn't get with spoon with some kitchen roll before taking photo 3 ::)
Who'd have thought I'd be quoting myself? 8)
Lol, what a can of worms my kitchen roll and I have opened. That said, my hardcore kitchen roll brandishing manoeuvre was just really for presentation - just look at that beautiful clear oil risen to the surface - f***** delicious! So delicious infact, that here it is again! ;D

This thread is about a SPECIFIC curry base from a SPECIFIC chef in a SPECIFIC restaurant.  The chef SPECIFICALLY says to remove the scum, so we should SURELY remove the scum IF we wish to make HIS curry base the way HE makes it.  It's really rather obvious, SS, I should think?  :-\
CA - What a completely excellent use of upper case 8)
JUST SPOON OFF THE SCUM! :P

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 30, 2008, 01:07 PM »
CA, I was wondering if you have tried the Saffron base yet?

©2024 Curry Recipes